Author Topic: Meet the largest science project in US government history  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Conrad

Meet the largest science project in US government history
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
The 'super Hubble', the James Webb Telescope.

You want precision? The Webb can detect heat generated by a bumblebee as far away as the Moon.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/meet-the-largest-science-project-in-us-government-history-the-james-webb-telescope/

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

the Webb Telescope being built by NASA and its partners is a more direct successor to the Spitzer Telescope rather than the Hubble. In short, the Webb will open up a whole new world of infrared astronomy when it launches in 2018. The telescope will be able to capture images of the very first stars and galaxies, formed only 200 million years after the Big Bang.

The beautiful shapes of modern galaxies take billions of years to evolve, as the stars of which they are composed arrange themselves under the influence of their mutual gravitational interaction. That’s a bit too long for us to wait if we want to study the evolution of a single galaxy. However, just as our view of the Sun shows us our star as it was eight minutes ago, our views of distant galaxies show us how they looked billions of years in the past. This allows us to study them in all stages of growth, from the early proto-galaxies to the mature spirals and ellipses in our galactic neighborhood.

The James Webb Space Telescope will be a major advance over all previous infrared observatories. Its primary mirror will be 50 times the area of the Spitzer Space Telescope, and its infrared images will have eight times the resolution (about the same resolution in the near-infrared as the Hubble has in the visible spectrum). This will allow the device to capture images of the structure of the first galaxies in the Universe with unprecedented detail. The wavelengths that the Webb will image can not be seen at all from the surface of the Earth because of our atmosphere.

! No longer available

! No longer available
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Meet the largest science project in US government history
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »

You want precision? The Webb can detect heat generated by a bumblebee as far away as the Moon.

That's good I guess, but there aren't any bumblebees on the Moon that I am aware of...  I could use this at my house where the  :censored: s are digging holes in my decking, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:13:19 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/meet-the-largest-science-project-in-us-government-history-the-james-webb-telescope/

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

the Webb Telescope being built by NASA and its partners is a more direct successor to the Spitzer Telescope rather than the Hubble. In short, the Webb will open up a whole new world of infrared astronomy when it launches in 2018. The telescope will be able to capture images of the very first stars and galaxies, formed only 200 million years after the Big Bang.

The beautiful shapes of modern galaxies take billions of years to evolve, as the stars of which they are composed arrange themselves under the influence of their mutual gravitational interaction. That’s a bit too long for us to wait if we want to study the evolution of a single galaxy. However, just as our view of the Sun shows us our star as it was eight minutes ago, our views of distant galaxies show us how they looked billions of years in the past. This allows us to study them in all stages of growth, from the early proto-galaxies to the mature spirals and ellipses in our galactic neighborhood.

The James Webb Space Telescope will be a major advance over all previous infrared observatories. Its primary mirror will be 50 times the area of the Spitzer Space Telescope, and its infrared images will have eight times the resolution (about the same resolution in the near-infrared as the Hubble has in the visible spectrum). This will allow the device to capture images of the structure of the first galaxies in the Universe with unprecedented detail. The wavelengths that the Webb will image can not be seen at all from the surface of the Earth because of our atmosphere.

! No longer available

! No longer available

This makes my brane hurt muchly aginn.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:16:06 AM »
Sounds like a new drone targeting system.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
That's good I guess, but there aren't any bumblebees on the Moon that I am aware of...  I could use this at my house where the  :censored: s are digging holes in my decking, though.

How do you know that there aren't any bumblebees on the moon? Do you have a space telescope? No? That's what I thought...   ;)

Who is digging holes in your deck and how would a space telescope help you with this?   ???
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
Bumblebees are digging holes in my deck and if I had a gigantic space telescope then I could aim my 50's at them with more accuracy.  And if Mr. Pink is correct, I could use it to target drones.  Best of both worlds..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
Outstanding article. Best explanation of a Lagrange points I've ever read. I was surprised it didn't say how it was to be launched. The Hubble could only be launched by the shuttle. So I looked it up. It will use an Ariana 5 rocket.

http://jwst.nasa.gov/launch.html

Offline Arata

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »
I thought you were gonna say "wealth redistribution and Obamacare"!!!
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
Outstanding article. Best explanation of a Lagrange points I've ever read. I was surprised it didn't say how it was to be launched. The Hubble could only be launched by the shuttle. So I looked it up. It will use an Ariana 5 rocket.

http://jwst.nasa.gov/launch.html

Man, that's a lot of extra rocket parts burning up, hitting the ocean, and/or flying around in space just to get the payload up there.  I guess it's worth it in the long run.  I love the info and pics we get back.  I don't mind my tax dollars going that direction.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.