Author Topic: VAlve Adjustment  (Read 10773 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: VAlve Adjustment
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:42 AM »
I can only guess that the ever so slight difference in the frame geometry along with maybe how the engine is place in the frame combine to give clearance or not. I was running without gaskets so that wasn't even an issue. I had meant a long time ago to run a bead of RTV under the cover but never did get to it. Since I had most things already apart I pulled both covers and put the RTV on them.

Like the rest of youse guys I only had to remove the inboard screw on the left hand side. Snarf, it was no big deal really but maybe in the future you might add a little caveat emptor that in some cases you may have to remove that one screw.

I rode the bike yesterday and today and it tuns great. It was running what I would call 'tight'. Not really sure how to describe it but it just felt tight. Since then it doesn't feel that way. I think it tuns ever so slightly smoother and maybe a tad more power, but that could just be a very subjective thing but I think it is there.

Now my next big thing, the forks with my new springs and a new front tire. Still have to buy the tire though. I am also going to do the mod to put in the drain screws.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Tim, did you remove the bolt that is just above the carb boot?  It looks like it is missing.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:29:40 AM by snarf »
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
I can only guess that the ever so slight difference in the frame geometry along with maybe how the engine is place in the frame combine to give clearance or not. I was running without gaskets so that wasn't even an issue. I had meant a long time ago to run a bead of RTV under the cover but never did get to it. Since I had most things already apart I pulled both covers and put the RTV on them.
I don't think it is the gaskets making the problem, as when the screws are tightened down, my block-off plates contact the valve cover, compressing the gasket.  I'm thinking a minute difference in some castings of the valve cover may be to blame.  Wouldn't take much to cause interference.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
Tim, did you remove the bolt that is just above the carb boot?  It looks like it is missing.

Good eyes. Yes I did, and I also put it back. It was while I was trying to figure out how to get the damn valve cover off. Obviously I wouldn't do it now but at the time...

I did get a minute amount of leakage while messing with it, probably around 50-60cc's. I will top it off later. It hasn't seemed to hurt it yet.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
I can rest easyer now knowing that mine arent as bad as yours  :P, that 2nd pic looks bad so its good to know that it will still run like that. glad you got it the valve cover back on, I too had to remove the screws from snarfs block off plats, i forgot about that part til you already figured it out..

Just remember though that the side with the pitting is on the trailing side. The leading side is the one I would be worried more about. I think I have about 50,000 miles on the bike but I will keep an eye on it. The next time I go to work on the valves it should be a lot easier.