Author Topic: Shad 50 mounting  (Read 7020 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Shad 50 mounting
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
Do you know what they have in the warehouse.....every part but yours.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
If I were to get a case today, I wouldn't get a Shad. It was pretty hard finding a top plate as no one had one and dealers that I talked to said that they left messages to Shad that were not returned; I hate to think what would happen if I needed a part replaced like a lock or something.
FWIW, the trunk looks like it is missing something on the top and it is- a plate! I finally got a plastic cover plate and some matching silver paint from Color Rite and painted it and the side trim to match the bike.

You may not like the ascetics of the Shad and I agree somewhat.  Givi really makes a sharp looking case but at a much higher cost.  I would have paid 25% more for a 46L Givi after having to buy a mounting base and a back rest cushion and it would have been a smaller case.  I may be cheap but the Shad is working well and looks really nice IMO without the color matching top plate.

2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline PH14

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32:13 PM »
I bought a Shad 50L from Murph and it comes with a standard mounting plate that is made of stamped metal and a plastic cover that fits over it that has rubber bumpers that the top case rests on.  If you have a proper rack IE: not the stock plastic crappy junk that come with the bike but something like what Phil makes.  Check out philsfarkels to see what I mean.  There are others out there that will also work but I made my own from the same type of material and design type that Phil did (thanks for the inspiration Phil).  The most important requirement is that it is rigid and large enough to hold a large case like the 50L Shad.  If the rack has been replaced you do not need to order anything else, what Murph sells you will do the job but like Phil said he sells the tee nuts that really make the job simple.   If you do not have access to a cad design program and vertical machining center like I did, the rack from Phil is a steal for the price and really looks great when you remove all the mounting base stuff that holds the top case!   ;D

In my opinion the Shad is the best case for the money, it come with the mounting plate and the back rest cushion that most others charge you for.

Okay, now we are getting to what I am actually wanting to know. So if I use Phil's rack, as asked in my original post, it sounds like I won't need the mounting kit from Murph. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Phil