Author Topic: C-14 gave the 2012 ZX-14R some nice upgrades in performance and safety, PICTURES  (Read 8123 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
Kawasaki is listening to us finally........

New info on the 2012R similar upgrades came from our C-14:

1441 cc engine all upgraded internally and smaller size externally so future engines can fit inside future C-14's too!

KTRC Traction control with 3 modes of performance driving.....drivers choice!  Straight from our C-14 Sport Tourer!

Instrument cluster straight from C-14 including fuel range estimation, fewer wires are used because of the computer technology too.

Slipper Clutch, improved

Wheels 3.3 pounds lighter

More open less restrictive shorter exhausts

Better brake pads, 4 piston brake calipers, has separate brake pads for each piston!

Better fit and finish of plastic

Ported heads in the engine for more flow and power.  Maybe an all aluminum head?!

Hi and Lo Maps, Full Power Mode, Medium Power Mode, and Eco for Wet conditions ala C-14!

Idle speed controller for starting up and warming up engine

Aluminum Frame

584.3 pounds

$14,699.00

These are just some basic upgrades but the entire bike has been revised to be more manageable, powerful, easier to handle and compete with Suzuki.

Stock times about 9.71@ 147.90

Black, Blue, Green beginning colors.

See pics attached.

Ninja
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:43:18 AM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline Rhino

• Arena
I want one!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Those look like the C14 potato launchers too!

Add electric windshield and saddle bags, and it would be a C14.

Should we start a pool as to how close the 2013 C14 will be to this bike?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ninjawarrior1400

All we need now is to get this engine in our C-14's and we will have the very ultimate Sport Touring bike in the world....

Just add:  Cruise control
                Self- Cancelling turn signals
                Get rid of that damn linked braking!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Kazairl

Why does it say that instrument cluster is straight from the C14 when it looks nothing like it?

Offline ninjawarrior1400

The panel is different in appearance but has the some of the same, and more  information as the C-14 has now on the new ZX-14R.

So this new panel on the ZX-14R was transposed after being tested for 4 years, from our C-14 after being successful since 2008, and now being used on the top flight bike to give the rider more info and capabilities.  Early test beds are introduced and if successful always improved upon by adding more info or more capabilities....and as more computers are utilized...less and less wires will be on our motorcycles in years to come....

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:15:20 AM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I didn't realize a Zx14 post was in the C14 forum.

i'm not purchasing one.

Thanks for all the hype, Kawi.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Kazairl

The panel is different in appearance but has the same information as the C-14 has now on the new ZX-14R.

So this new panel on the ZX-14R was transposed from our C-14 after being successful since 2008, and now being used on the top flight bike to give the rider more info and capabilities.

Actually is has more information now then our C14 displays do. So it doesn't look like or function the same.

Also 210 Crank Horsepower. yeah baby.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

The C-14 becomes the rolling test bed for the 14R and vice versa.  Better brakes, KTRC, adjustable maps, more rigid suspension...to name a few.

As this engine becomes successful in the 14R, we will get it in our C-14 in the near future, and that is what this is all about...more capabilities in an already fantastic Sport Touring bike.

Kawasaki appears to be listening.... and in a depressed economy, has to continue to sell more bikes and come out with enhancements that attract new customers ....or go out of business.  This is all to our benefits.......and of course,.... the costs will be greater. 

But who cares..... when you have almost 200HP between your legs with an adjustable windshied, saddlebags, and an upright riding position with quick adjustable suspension!!

Nuff said....
Ninjawarrior

Offline Fretka

Bit of a tempest in a teapot. What do y'all think is the real reason people buy this bike?

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline Rawman

I can't wait for the supercharged version in a couple years.  Kawasaki applied for 3 patents for a new motorcycle supercharger this year.  Also oil jets under the piston in the new ZX-14R, they normally do this on forced induction engines to keep the pistons cool.  This sounds like a test engine for the supercharged version......
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ninjawarrior1400

fretka.....the obvious answer is that people want to go slower and safer......that is the REAL reason people buy it.....
Ninjawarrior

Offline jjsC6

I like the bike, and my words are not hollow.  I have been seriously considering a ZX-14 as a third bike.  When I found out that a new and improved version was coming along I quit considering buying one of the current versions (which are heavily discounted) to wait to see the new one.

Now that I've seen it I have mixed emotions.  It does have some meaningful improvements, but I'm also disappointed in what it does not have.   No tire pressure monitoring which I think should be a must on any new bike today, and I'm not sure if the reduced power mode acts like the economy mode or not.  The nice thing about economy mode is that when you are just slogging on open roads you can extend your range quite a bit (this one is not a deal breaker though).

The extra power is nice, but the current bike is really as powerful as I need, and getting it up near the '12's level is pretty easy and cheap anyway.

I am curious about the new seat - it looks like one of the better OEM seats from what I can see.  I'm wondering if it will fit the current ZX and/or the Concours.  I'm guessing the mounts have not changed.

The slipper clutch is nice, but again I could live without it.

ABS is good.  The information I've seen is sketchy - I assume it is an option in the U.S., but I have not seen a price yet. (edit - just looked at the web-site.  It does not show ABS at all for the U.S.  WTF is up with that!!!!).

Traction control.  Probably nice to have, but not a deal breaker for me either.

Bottom line is this.....I love to have the latest stuff, so if I do decide on a ZX it will likely be the new one.  But I think for most folks saving $3-4k makes the 2011 still a damn good bike.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline DenverC-14

I wasn't impressed with the launch. Sure it has some nice goodies, but not really worth all the hoopla they made about it, imo. I'll be keeping my connie, as it is the better value for the kind of riding I do.

Offline Bourne2Ride

I'd be interested in a re-flash of the ECU on the Connie to get some of the improvements to the Traction Control and ABS. The power mapping (3 modes) would be good to. I'm not looking for more power (she has plenty for me); but I'd like the flexibility those settings on the ZX-14R could give me.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline ninjawarrior1400

My greatest disappointment with this new 14R is they failed to include the tire pressure indicator in the instrument panel as we have on the C-14.  I leave my instrument panel on the tire pressure panel full-time as I feel it is the most important issue to observe while riding this performance machine.

So, Kawasaki dropped the ball on this one point big time!  Can't believe they wouldn't have included it!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Kawi had already added 15 lbs to the new ZX-14 so I guess the extra 8 ounces or so to add TPMS would have put them over the top.

Just imagine how much the dual bazooka setup weighs.   :o
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

Here is a pic of the 1441 cc motor upgrade...look how close those pistons are to each other....not much room for error here with a head gasket going bad...

Can always add a 4-2-1 exhaust and get those heavy stock pipes off the bike and save the 15 pounds in added weight and still get the HP built into the newer engine.
Ninjawarrior

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Why would anyone want this engine in a sport touring bike, that is probably going to get horrible gas mileage and decreased longevity.......kinda defeats the whole purpose to me? :o Some of you guys with your total obsession with HP and torque just amazes me, do you honestly realize how powerful the C14 is compared to bikes of just 5 to 7 years ago? Who would have ever dreamed that bikes would be making the power they do now, and how many of us can even use 1/4 of what these bikes are already capable of? Seems a small penis syndrome is occuring in the country at a rapid pace, the C14 needs no more power I would be 100% satisfied if Kawa just installed factory cruise to the current platform. This is already the best sport touring bike available for the money, with a few more practical factory options it would be almost untouchable. Practical bikes don't sell well here in the USA, the rest of the world is either smarter or has bigger cocks. ;) Just my opinion, y'all gotta make yourself happy I reckon........excess is an American tradition.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of the most horsepower you can squeeze between your legs.

Isn't that what our forefathers meant when they drafted that document a couple hundred years ago, Poke?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.