Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 495010 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1520 on: August 13, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »
 :_shudder_Emoticon  Does that make you ...suckers?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1521 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
:_shudder_Emoticon  Does that make you ...suckers?

No, just angry- high prices, poor service, and without alternatives.  It is exactly what happens without a free market and competition.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1522 on: August 13, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
It is true that I have two high- speed 'Net access providers. But there are always choices, and if COX finishes this matter in a way that displeases me, I would go with dial- up rather than fund them and their poor behavior.

Not suggesting anyone else do this, merely pointing out what I would do if it were required. And I have not had dial- up service in something like 15 or 20 years but still, limits are limits.

Brian

Now imagine how those of us feel who don't have any alternative to Cox.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1523 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »
It is true that I have two high- speed 'Net access providers. But there are always choices,

I guess that depends on how choices are defined.  The definition of "high speed internet" certainly varies, but I need an absolute minimum of reliable, unlimited [or a large bucket], 10Mb/s connection to support my modest browsing, work, and streaming video requirements.  At my address, there is only one provider:  Cox.  Verizon FIOS doesn't exist, and DSL is not fast enough nor reliable (I know because I tried it in the past, and my neighbor tries to suffer with it now).  Using metered cellular data is so expensive it isn't really an option.

As for video, the two choices are Cox or satellite.  Done them both.  They are priced about the same.  Cox's tuning adapters are almost unusable.  Satellite equipment is difficult and not always reliable.  Not much choice there either.  But the kicker is one would STILL be stuck with Cox for data, even if you left their video... and when you don't "bundle" then the data cost goes up a lot more.  It is quite the racket.

Not suggesting anyone else do this, merely pointing out what I would do if it were required. And I have not had dial- up service in something like 15 or 20 years but still, limits are limits.

I don't think 54kb/s (the maximum a dialup could support, and in practice, it will be a lot slower in the real-world) is even usable with modern websites that are sometimes megabytes PER PAGE.  You would be waiting 20+ minutes on every click.  And the latency would be so poor, remote session operation would be impossible, and don't even think about streaming anything.  I am not sure "dial-up" modem service can even be purchased now, it is totally obsolete.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1524 on: August 13, 2017, 10:26:57 PM »
Now imagine how those of us feel who don't have any alternative to Cox.

The FCC would like you to believe that satellite is an alternative to Cox.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1525 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
The FCC would like you to believe that satellite is an alternative to Cox.

The Fed would like us to believe a lot of things.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1526 on: August 14, 2017, 12:05:41 AM »
completely irrelevant but for the last 15 years because I have worked for Telcos I haven't paid anything for my Broadband (Currently on an 80mb/20mb service), landline (even though I don't have anything on it as I use my works mobile[cell] for the majority of my outbound calls with my personal mobile being fro inbound calls from friends & family) or one of my TV services (Ok I do pay a lot for Sky TV simply because it is superior to the offering from my company)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #1527 on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »
So, exposing my naivete, what is wrong with Satellite internet?  Right now I don't have internet access at home and don't need it.  But in a few years I will and it seems at my home, satellite will be the best option for everything.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1528 on: August 14, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
True, I had not though about the changes in the 'Net that have made today extremely different than the 'Net of years ago- you are probably right that dial- up is not viable. And my wife does like as a remote satellite from her office so that alone would be a deal- killer for dial- up.

And I also do not know if Verizon (my local phone company, the current name of the Baby Bell in my area) will even install a real, honest to goodness, copper pair, landline anymore. Probably not as they offer FIOS.

Agreed on the cellular connection, both too expensive and too slow. Never had DSL; while I was waiting for a switching station to get close enough, FIOS fiber optic appeared and wiped out DSL.

I think if push came to shove, I would try satellite. I know it is not perfect and U/lding is slow but again, I am willing to go a long way to [not support] a poor, disreputable entity (business or person, makes no difference to me). As I said, I am pretty angry but I have to agree with you that there are times where there just is no choice 'B'. And on the bright side, I have to say that both high- speed services I have used, COX as well as FIOS have performed extremely well, and both delivered what they claim they would. Per my original post, my only complaint is with a very specific aspect of their business practice, not the company as a whole. I think they charge too much but that is a decision one makes at the start of the deal, not in the middle, and both services honored the terms of the agreement (what they supplied with a few small changes in the channel line- up, as well as the charge) for the stated time, although both jack the bill beyond excessively and without warning which again is a poor and unethical business practice. But nothing like playing hide and seek with a payment they clearly owe to a customer.

Brian

For what it is worth, this is the forwarded message I received from COX, as well as my response to my local rep. She e-mailed me immediately that she had forwarded the letter to both her supervisor and manager and would wait for a response before forwarding it to the VP. So if nothing else, and I expect nothing at all really, at least someone a little higher up the food chain at COX may be made aware that they have not duped the entire customer base. Caution: it is a long letter.... but you kinda' knew that anyway, right?  ;D ::)  And I am counting on you guys to 1) find any typos 2) point out any errors 3) suggest alternative ways I could have written this, in part or in whole 4) and, of course, point out anyplace I should have slipped in an 'Easy Boys!' to amuse the staff at COX, I find I do not do that enough in business correspondence.   ;)

Begin quote:

Hi Katy,

Well, I received this (forwarded, text below) in response to my application for the credit that was part of my signing with COX. I find it both interesting and disturbing at the same time, so let's concentrate on the disturbing parts:

1) There is no reason why I should have to "apply" for this credit in the first place. When I signed on with COX for the current service period, this credit was part of the package or 'deal'. There is absolutely no need for any action on my part at all; COX certainly knows where I am and how to reach me. If the application to confirm that I did, in fact, actually want this credit than I think COX needs to re-evaluate their marketing. If this was merely a sly business tactic to avoid paying some percentage of credits already agreed to due to some lack of action on the customer's part, then I find this reprehensible. Either way, it is quite poor and just as a comparison, when I signed with Verizon, and part of that deal included a $400 credit, they sent it along without any further input from me, as was expected then, as it was expected at this time with COX as well.

2) There are two interesting but again, reprehensible in my opinion, clauses in the attached communication from COX. The first is that the credit due (to the customer, from COX) would be null and void had there been any 'past due balances' during 'the 90 days of service'. That of course is not a problem with me and my account but I think it is quite poor business practice as well as an incredibly obvious attempt to avoid payment of an already agreed- to sum w/in an already executed contract (verbal and understood if not written).

2A) The other clause is that there is a submission date deadline. This ties in very nicely with the fact that I received absolutely no notification of any kind that  I had to do anything at all in the first place to "apply" for a credit that was part of the original signing with COX. I would give this one a solid A- or even an A rating on the slimy, back- handed business practice scale.

The manner I find interesting about these practices is that they are a clever and wiley method to avoid payment of some number of credit packages owed to customers. Surely some people fail to pursue the credit, and further, some people who do pursue it fail to do so within the arbitrary but strict rules COX has put in place to make payment a 'less than 100% event'; I would be interested in just what percentage of customers have been denied their credits due to  these practices and policies. Even 1% would be successful I would imagine given the small amount of effort and no expense required to put up these artificial barriers.

It is business practices such as this that force the unfortunate but necessary requirements of government legislation to prevent. But as that is really the consumers' only option to fend off unacceptable behavior on the part of large corporations, just as it was over 100 years ago when they were needed to break up monopolistic trusts, and I am absolutely confident things would be yet worse even today if it were not for at least some, limited competition. And I assure you, these policies must be perceived as 'manna from heaven' by Verizon.

To you specifically Katy, this is not directed at you personally of course. I am merely sending this to you so that it has the best chance of being 'kicked upstairs' where policy is made and implemented.

Sincerely,

Brian D. Felice

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM
Subject: Your Cox Prepaid Card Request Has Been Received
To: bdfelice1 at gmail.com

Hi, BRIAN

BRIAN FELICE,

Your submission for a Cox Visa® prepaid card has been received and is being processed. Your prepaid card will be mailed to the address provided once we confirm that you have met all of the eligibility requirements including:

* Have requisite levels of service
* Have had at least 90 days of continuous service
* Have had no past due balances at any point during the 90 days of service
* Have submitted your application before the applicable submission date deadline

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your prepaid card after the 90 day validation period.

To check the status of your submission please visit http://status.rewardpromo.com/cox

Your tracking ID is:
<put big, long series of letters and numerals here>

THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING COX

I guess that depends on how choices are defined.  The definition of "high speed internet" certainly varies, but I need an absolute minimum of reliable, unlimited [or a large bucket], 10Mb/s connection to support my modest browsing, work, and streaming video requirements.  At my address, there is only one provider:  Cox.  Verizon FIOS doesn't exist, and DSL is not fast enough nor reliable (I know because I tried it in the past, and my neighbor tries to suffer with it now).  Using metered cellular data is so expensive it isn't really an option.

As for video, the two choices are Cox or satellite.  Done them both.  They are priced about the same.  Cox's tuning adapters are almost unusable.  Satellite equipment is difficult and not always reliable.  Not much choice there either.  But the kicker is one would STILL be stuck with Cox for data, even if you left their video... and when you don't "bundle" then the data cost goes up a lot more.  It is quite the racket.

I don't think 54kb/s (the maximum a dialup could support, and in practice, it will be a lot slower in the real-world) is even usable with modern websites that are sometimes megabytes PER PAGE.  You would be waiting 20+ minutes on every click.  And the latency would be so poor, remote session operation would be impossible, and don't even think about streaming anything.  I am not sure "dial-up" modem service can even be purchased now, it is totally obsolete.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1529 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
So, exposing my naivete, what is wrong with Satellite internet?  Right now I don't have internet access at home and don't need it.  But in a few years I will and it seems at my home, satellite will be the best option for everything.

Dpends .

If you're a gamer then the latency can be high which will have an impact on your fragging.

Most satellite services are only actually downstream from the satellite, the upstream (or return path) is generally (although not always) via a standard DSL or even dial up line.

IMHO for residential use  the rankings in terms of technology are (and this may be biased towards what I know in the UK)

1) a cable DOCSIS based service (no copper issues as this is optical all the way to the premises)
2) FTTC (Fibre to the Cab) AKA VDSL, only the last couple of hundred metres are copper. Max speeds currently approx 80mb downstream
3) DSL (aka ADSL), can suffer from faults on the copper, max speeds for ADSL2 downstream 24mb, actual synch speed vary according to distance from exchange & quality of copper both internal & external
4) Satellite, best for those areas where you cant get any of the above
5) Dial Up, how quaint :)
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1530 on: August 14, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
Yeah, what Mike said.

Satellites are rare and expensive, and so their bandwidth is rare and expensive. Mostly expensive. They work great when beaming a large amount of information to a LOT of people, such as televised sporting events, because the time expense is divided across lots of people. But that same amount of data, such as a movie for example, is sent to one person, it gets expensive.

And also as Mike said, satellites are geared up to deliver or transmit, not receive. They do it but it is even more expensive.

Mostly, mere mortals do not get to frolic with satellites, at least not yet. take a look at SPOT and see how much a subscription costs: very expensive and extremely limited in the amount of data that is transferred (bandwidth).

All of that said, it can be made into an OK 'Net link if that is your only choice but it may prove very restricting if one wants to, say, upload photographs and similar again due to the very limited bandwidth.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1531 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Just a small thing but in the US, a lot of us still use coaxial cable as the pipe for high- speed digital transmission. My guess is fiber optic is a distant number 2. Coax will support a gigabyte of transmission as well as an overlayed analog signal (we used to be able to get basic TV service in analog form over cable until very recently). Plus the infrastructure is laced with cable all over the place so it is cheap to use; fiber optic networks are increasing but again, not nearly as common as coaxial cable.

And coax has the two pluses that it is easy to tie into the main feed in the street, and it can branch and string all over a house or business. Fiber optic requires a very well made, lapped connection and even that will show at least 5% signal loss, and basically cannot be practically branched again due to those losses. Once fiber optic hits the receiver at the end- user's location, it flipped over to analog telephone and wired into the building's existing telephone wiring and the digital part is broken off into.... coaxial cable for distribution.

Brian

Dpends .

If you're a gamer then the latency can be high which will have an impact on your fragging.

Most satellite services are only actually downstream from the satellite, the upstream (or return path) is generally (although not always) via a standard DSL or even dial up line.

IMHO for residential use  the rankings in terms of technology are (and this may be biased towards what I know in the UK)

1) a cable DOCSIS based service (no copper issues as this is optical all the way to the premises)
2) FTTC (Fibre to the Cab) AKA VDSL, only the last couple of hundred metres are copper. Max speeds currently approx 80mb downstream
3) DSL (aka ADSL), can suffer from faults on the copper, max speeds for ADSL2 downstream 24mb, actual synch speed vary according to distance from exchange & quality of copper both internal & external
4) Satellite, best for those areas where you cant get any of the above
5) Dial Up, how quaint :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1532 on: August 14, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

I can't speak for the state-of-the-art, but only my past experience with it.  The signal is shared between many thousands of people, and the round trip is extremely long and slow.  So the latency was very bad and the bandwidth also bad.  In the past, it wasn't even possible to have an uplink, only a downlink, and you still have to use a freaking dialup modem to send your data!  I am sure it has improved some by now, but some of the limitations are likely still there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1533 on: August 14, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
And I also do not know if Verizon (my local phone company, the current name of the Baby Bell in my area) will even install a real, honest to goodness, copper pair, landline anymore. Probably not as they offer FIOS.

Bingo.  Verizon did that in LOTS of areas, and even those NOT covered by FIOS.  In many areas the copper still goes to the house, but the trunks became optical, and DSL won't run over that!  So even without access to FIOS, millions of people lost possible access to DSL.  Oh, and even dialup doesn't support 56Kbps over digital trunking, it was limited to 33Kbps... so it had an effect long before DSL and cable came around.  It bit my friend badly in his neighborhood, 22 years ago, where after they "upgraded" all the trunking, his actual speeds dropped to 28.8kbps.

And DSL has severe distance limits.  The speed drops the further away the switching station (CO) is located and after a certain distance, Poof, no more possible DSL access.  TONS of rural Americans have no access to any real form of high-speed Internet.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1534 on: August 15, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »
Yes, I was aware of that and while it does not apply to me here in the densely populated northeast, as you say, many people are limited in their link to the 'Net.

How about cellular coverage? With unlimited data, and the phone acting as a local hub, it would certainly work but how fast is it.... and I mean how fast is it REALLY (not what any provider may claim). Is this a possible work- around for those who do not have and are not likely to get a piece of anything (wire, fiber optic) attached to their house?

Brian

<snip>

And DSL has severe distance limits.  The speed drops the further away the switching station (CO) is located and after a certain distance, Poof, no more possible DSL access.  TONS of rural Americans have no access to any real form of high-speed Internet.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1535 on: August 15, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
How about cellular coverage? With unlimited data, and the phone acting as a local hub, it would certainly work but how fast is it....

You can't do that.  Phone data plans are for the phone ONLY.  To use any other device with it, that requires a "tethering" plan (which can use your phone as a wifi hotspot, or a dedicated cellular "modem" with ethernet port or USB connection) and those plans are NEVER unlimited.

and I mean how fast is it REALLY (not what any provider may claim).

Actually, with modern LTE, it can be shockingly fast (theoretically up to 300Mb/s), as long as there is not a lot of contention.  It varies wildly with market, carrier, particular tower, etc.  In my area, T-Mobile is typically 7.5 to 38 Mb/s download and 3.8 to 18 Mb/s upload.  But it is very expensive data compared to cable/DSL.  Note- that is with a good connection using LTE on a modern network that is not overcrowded .

Is this a possible work- around for those who do not have and are not likely to get a piece of anything (wire, fiber optic) attached to their house?

Yes, but you have to monitor your data very carefully so you don't have a $500+ monthly bill...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1536 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Now I am confused: if a cellular connection is data unlimited, and the phone can get to any / all 'Net sites, what difference does it make if the cell phone is acting as the 'vehicle' for a full- sized monitor and keyboard? I mean, data is data, right? Put another way, if a cellular link to a smart phone has unlimited data via a plan (business deal) in place with the provider;

1) why would it matter what you used to view / type your data on, meaning a full sized screen and keyboard vs. the phone display and touch- screen 'keyboard'?
2) how would anyone know, again as long as the data went into and out of the cell phone?
3) is not digital data, digital data regardless of the end display hardware and the originating hardware?

If this limit you mention physical or ethical?

And please understand, I am asking because I do not know, not throwing rocks at you or anyone else, or any idea... I merely want to understand what the situation is.

Brian

You can't do that.  Phone data plans are for the phone ONLY.  To use any other device with it, that requires a "tethering" plan (which can use your phone as a wifi hotspot, or a dedicated cellular "modem" with ethernet port or USB connection) and those plans are NEVER unlimited.

Actually, with modern LTE, it can be shockingly fast (theoretically up to 300Mb/s), as long as there is not a lot of contention.  It varies wildly with market, carrier, particular tower, etc.  In my area, T-Mobile is typically 7.5 to 38 Mb/s download and 3.8 to 18 Mb/s upload.  But it is very expensive data compared to cable/DSL.  Note- that is with a good connection using LTE on a modern network that is not overcrowded .

Yes, but you have to monitor your data very carefully so you don't have a $500+ monthly bill...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1537 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »
Now I am confused: if a cellular connection is data unlimited,

Even that is somewhat debatable.  None of those plans are truly "unlimited", they all have a cap OR slow-down tremendously when you reach "too much" usage.  But that is a different topic :)

and the phone can get to any / all 'Net sites, what difference does it make if the cell phone is acting as the 'vehicle' for a full- sized monitor and keyboard? I mean, data is data, right?

Yes and no.

First, stop trying to be logical about it :)  They do what they want!  Yes, data is data.  But the model at work is as follows: on a phone, people typically consume much smaller amounts of data than a home or business broadband connection.  Video resolution is much smaller, you aren't downloading big Linux distros or dozen GB games on phones, you get "mobile" (stripped-down) versions of websites, you tend to use it less, the bandwidth is used only by one person, etc.  So their concept is-  people don't consume much data on a phone, so they can afford to offer 'unlimited' data on it... but if that connection were now shared and powering a whole house or business, with streaming HD Netflix, big OS updates, full web sites, multiple users, mega downloads, etc, it blows the data "budget".  So it is a model based on generalized assumptions... which are actually, generally true.

In a purely Libertarianish view- the most logical model would be to charge for data based on actual, incremental usage, regardless of what device or system or person is consuming it.  The price would fall down to the cost to deliver it.  So phone data WOULD STILL be a lot more expensive than land-line data, but it wouldn't matter how you use the data... data is data.  The problem is that the public have repetitively rejected the idea of paying for individualized units of minutes, texts, bits of data, movie rentals, per-minute long distance, etc.  Look at the cable model- hundreds of stupid channels, unlimited viewing, flat fee.  Netflix- thousands of programs, unlimited viewing, flat fee.  Gym membership- lots of machines, unlimited usage, flat fee.  Amazon Prime- X/Y/Z services, unlimited, flat fee.  I could go on, but you get the idea.  People have fear of charge-per-use (due to feelings of lack of self control, lack of wanting to monitor it/laziness, distrust of the people keeping track of it for you) and will accept a flat fee, and most people end up overpaying anyway.  It is marketing and human nature that have driven what is actually not really a "fair" model to permeate through so many industries.

And it is spreading everywhere in a slightly different form now of not wanting to even buy something- cars, houses, computers, software, phones, furniture, the younger generations now want to "rent" everything so they have no up-front or usage fees and a guaranteed, flat bill each month.  Knowing this, companies are now trying to force consumers to have monthly fees for just about everything.  You want a weather station device?  Service contract!  Want a security system with "cloud" access?  Service contract!  Want a house lock you can access remotely?  Service contract!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1538 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »

Ballcocks, you can tether any device to any phone if you know how.

Unless the situation is very different in the US your carrier cant physically stop you doing it. A lot of the mobile/cell carriers over here (including my own) say the same thing and they dont like it but I tether my GPS via BT and on occasion if Im out and about my iPad via a WiFi tether.

The biggest issue is running out of data allowance :)

That said I've got a dual sim phone running 2 SIMs from different carriers and I swap my Datat between my work & personal SIMs

--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1539 on: August 16, 2017, 05:49:43 AM »
Ballcocks, you can tether any device to any phone if you know how.

Yes, and you can also pay nothing for movies, books, and even pay no taxes if you know how...

Unless the situation is very different in the US your carrier cant physically stop you doing it. A lot of the mobile/cell carriers over here (including my own) say the same thing and they dont like it but I tether my GPS via BT and on occasion if Im out and about my iPad via a WiFi tether.

The situation is, actually, quite different in the USA and most of the rest of the world when it comes to many things cell phones; although it is slowly coming together.  In any case, almost all phones used are locked to the carrier, and have locked firmware and software that enforces the accepted uses that the carrier demands.

The biggest issue is running out of data allowance :)

If you have a data allowance, then it is not "unlimited" and in that case, the carrier DOES allow tethering (I do it all the time and I have a 6GB plan).  Also, some carriers will give you "unlimited" data for the phone and limited data for tethering.  That is still a different situation.