Author Topic: What's on your TV these days?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Strawboss

What's on your TV these days?
« on: June 22, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
We don't watch a lot of TV at all, mostly films and TV shows we get for free from the local library. A lot of Brit TV shows lately as they are so good compared to U.S. TV. We just finished "Madame Blanc". While trying to sell a cottage she owned in France with her recently killed husband, a British woman encounters mystery, murder, British expats and a new friend who drives a taxi. Light drama and some silliness.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What's on your TV these days?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 05:15:51 AM »
We watch a lot of stuff on the TV via the Internet.  Network TV, not so much.  We do have Dish and once they go up on me again I'm dumping it.  My wife and I like to watch the network news from the DC area and that's the only reason it's still here.  We can get local CBS on Paramount+ via Amazon Prime but she likes NBC better.  Currently we're subscribed to Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Britbox, and Netflix.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:49:21 PM »
I just started watching the old man series on Hulu. Great first couple of shows. Bridges and Lithgow are great and only get better with age.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:14:33 AM »
Nothing, havent watched tv at my house in over 6 years!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 07:19:56 AM »
Hogan’s Heroes. Sometimes the old shows are fun to watch.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 07:21:29 AM »
Roku with Prime or Netflix - although Netflix movies are not comparable to Prime's selection. Since retirement the wife and I watch one movie a night and one series - Yellowstone, Goliath, now Billions.
We've subscribed to DirecTV since 1994 and have paid them an estimated $30,000 over the years. Between Roku and SlingTv I hope to drop DirecTV  before the next bill is due. I've come to strongly dislike DrecTV - especially since AT&T purchased it. Our DirecTV equipment is 2005 vintage - I was never able to get comfortable with entering into a contract which DirecTV requires for upgraded equipment so over the past few years the channels we are able to receive are fewer and fewer and crappier and crappier.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »
FTB, you are my hero! I'm getting to where you are, slowly. We don't have cable and we don't stream or dish or anything, rabbit ears is the way for us. During TV season, we watch only 2 shows a week and ONLY weather locally. DVD's from the library, and then only maybe 2 hrs a night, and then, usually during winter as warmer weather, we are outside.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »
I watch a lot of movies on prime, been on a Little House on the Prairie kick latley, o  season four, think about 5 more to go lol

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
Heartguy. An Aussie TV show about a surgeon that gets sent back to his home town after some shenanigans at a party to function for a year as a GP at the very small hospital as punishment and how he copes with his family, his past, and all the characters of the town. Some humor, some drama.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 07:53:08 PM »
Downton Abbey Film. And after that we will watch "Man In The High Castle".

Offline zgirl

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
We don't stream or watch most network.  We have an antenna that picks up (depending on atmospheric conditions) Chattanooga and Knoxville.  I like the British shows and some of the content on PBS.  Love the old westerns like Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, The Cowboys with John Wayne was a good movie.  We did buy Yellowstone and after I got over the 1st scene in season one I really liked it.  It's just that we don't have cable, so a lot of the language and violence was not normal for us. 

Well, we did live in Memphis for almost 25 years....   ;D

Oh, and can't watch news more than 1/2 hour or I have nightmares. 
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 04:50:48 AM »
I've stopped watching the news.  Usually after 5 minutes I get angry and go over to Youtube and start watching it.   We have Dish, but as soon as they raise their rates I'm ditching it.  Watching more of Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBOMax and such.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 08:12:46 AM »
It's amazing the difference in the coverage of QEII's death between the subdued Brits fleshing out the important aspects of her life and the Americans vapid thirst for dirt on the royal family. I like the part where the media tut tuts the paparazzi and what led to Diana's death when in fact they are part and parcel half responsible, the other half is the idiots that buy the papers and the pics that drive those idiots to what they do. 

Offline zgirl

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 10:28:44 AM »
While I am happy to be an American (even with all of our problems) I am happy we are not ruled by a monarchy.  That said, I think she was a very dignified woman that took on an extremely difficult task at a tender age and performed with grace.

It says something that a very large portion of the population loved her and felt she was as steady as the North Star.

I do not believe Charles has the same devotion to the people but we will see. 

I think the American press has lost it's mind regarding truth and useful reporting.  They are salacious and disrespectful.  But I'm not bitter....   ;D
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »
You two hit it on the head.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the idiots at CNN and CNBC concerning her passing and on the Commonwealth itself.  So now I have three news organizations that I don't have on TV anymore.  The normal NBC news was very respectful from what I heard.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 06:47:39 PM »
We have a fascination with the Royals here in the US. My Family loves them and knows a lot about them. I could care less. I never liked all that highness and peasant class crap. I like this queen because as Long as I have known of her, she stayed in her lane, was never in your face, and kept herself in the background as she should having no real power.

I haven’t been watching much news lately but I don’t think the news have been harsh on her. They are celebrating her life quite fondly, actually. where is all this queen bashing You see?

Btw, for some reason I just can’t quite put my finger on it, but lately have you noticed a sudden Love for Monarchy, you know all hail the king type of a thing. Damn, if I could just put my finger on why that might be. Ummmm. Thinking.... I Still can't see it.

Offline zgirl

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 10:19:30 PM »
ut lately have you noticed a sudden Love for Monarchy, you know all hail the king type of a thing. Damn, if I could just put my finger on why that might be. Ummmm. Thinking.... I Still can't see it.

Nope.  I admire the lady that served as Queen in her country, but I am not a fan of Monarchy. 

I am in favor of our Constitutional Republic.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline zgirl

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »

I haven’t been watching much news lately but I don’t think the news have been harsh on her. They are celebrating her life quite fondly, actually. where is all this queen bashing You see?

How would you know if you haven't been watching?   ???
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 10:54:03 PM »
Not watching much. But watch some.

How would you know if you haven't been watching?   ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 04:31:14 AM »
The monarchy in England is different in that it doesn't control the Commonwealth.  Parliament does.  The monarchy exists side by side but really has no power to speak of.  Boomer or someone else from there could explain it better.  When the monarchy had true power hundreds of years ago it could do bad things which is why we have our style of government.  They aren't threatening at all now.  I guess they are more like the rich Public Relations side of the government at this point.  I'm a Royalist, I liked the Queen.  She grew up through WW2 and beyond.  The jury is out on King Charles III and I'm in a wait and see attitude to see how he does.  At any rate, he's got about 20 years or so on the throne and then William takes over.  I probably will not live to see that sadly.