Author Topic: FOB and Gas Station  (Read 10298 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: FOB and Gas Station
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 05:31:08 AM »
Yep, true enough- those with C-14s made in 2010 or later only have one fob with a battery in it. Us old- timers with earlier bikes have two fobs that require batteries. Just another sign of the changing times. Why when I was young and riding the first year model C-14, things were a LOT tougher. Not like the girly- man riding the  current bikes. We used to carry dozens hundreds of fobs and even then it wasn't enough- you never knew if the bike would start or not. We didn't care 'cause we were tough back in 'dem days.... why I remember trying to ride a C-14 that would not start to school and pushing the bike both ways.... uphill, in the snow! You kids today whine and complain because you have to push the starter button to fire the bike up; back in the good ole' days, we used to start 'em by blowing into the intake ducts hard enough to turn the engines over and remember, we only had 15,000 weight oil back then.... Yep, that's the ticket.

:D

Brian

Back in the early days us 1st gen C14 riders had a heck of a time, as Brian pointed out above. One thing he failed to mention was the batteries we had to use in our fobs.

The one good thing about these batteries, they made it really hard to lose your fob.

The bad, try getting that fob into the pocket of your riding pants.    :o
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:29:38 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »
Brought a crated new 2010 in March 2010, and no its never happened before. I always carry the mini FOB with me so I have no concerns. I'll monitor and if it dies I'll replace the battery.

Otherwise it was a nice fresh ride up to Maine, I love this bike.

I carry spare key fob also but if battery goes flat just hold main KIPASS transponder next to ignition (as per handbook)  ;)
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline jschrock1

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
If the battery is dead in a fob and you start the bike by placing the fob on the ignition knob, this is all good, however, when you're riding the bike with a dead battery in the fob, why won't the bike think the FOB has been dropped...? Why won't the bike display the "No Transponder" message and in 10 seconds shut the bike down?

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
If the battery is dead in a fob and you start the bike by placing the fob on the ignition knob, this is all good, however, when you're riding the bike with a dead battery in the fob, why won't the bike think the FOB has been dropped...? Why won't the bike display the "No Transponder" message and in 10 seconds shut the bike down?
Great question! I'd like to know this also.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 09:05:45 PM »
Two important points here. The first is that KiPass simply cannot shut the bike down under any circumstances. That would be a disaster waiting for a place to happen; no authentication system that I am aware of can do this, they simply allow or disallow starting the bike but once the bike is running they are inert (other than possibly displaying a message but they cannot interfere with the operation of the bike / engine).

The second thing is that if the RFID portion of KiPass is used, the bike will not look for a fob again at any time during that running cycle. If the bike is started using the RF (remote) part of KiPass, then the bike looks at specific times to sense the presence of a valid fob- shifting into high gear, passing a certain speed and perhaps other specific points of operation. That is why if you start the bike with a remote fob and then drop the fob during the ride, the display will show a transponder error. But if the bike is started using the RFID portion (holding a fob close to the ignition switch housing) it is expected that that fob will be removed for the rest of the bike's operation so the system does not look for the presence of an RFID fob again once the bike is started. The fob will not attach in any way to the housing so it would be logical that after using the fob in that manner a person would put that fob in a pocket or similar for the ride.

The system is reasonably well thought out and has addressed expected situations such as dead fob batteries, etc.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
Good info! Thanks Brian.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
Two important points here. The first is that KiPass simply cannot shut the bike down under any circumstances. That would be a disaster waiting for a place to happen; no authentication system that I am aware of can do this, they simply allow or disallow starting the bike but once the bike is running they are inert (other than possibly displaying a message but they cannot interfere with the operation of the bike / engine).

The second thing is that if the RFID portion of KiPass is used, the bike will not look for a fob again at any time during that running cycle. If the bike is started using the RF (remote) part of KiPass, then the bike looks at specific times to sense the presence of a valid fob- shifting into high gear, passing a certain speed and perhaps other specific points of operation. That is why if you start the bike with a remote fob and then drop the fob during the ride, the display will show a transponder error. But if the bike is started using the RFID portion (holding a fob close to the ignition switch housing) it is expected that that fob will be removed for the rest of the bike's operation so the system does not look for the presence of an RFID fob again once the bike is started. The fob will not attach in any way to the housing so it would be logical that after using the fob in that manner a person would put that fob in a pocket or similar for the ride.

The system is reasonably well thought out and has addressed expected situations such as dead fob batteries, etc.

Brian

:goodpost:

Logical, forthright, and bottle-tight. 
I'm gonna print this out and glue it into my owner's manual!
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
.......and the almighty KiPass still gets our attention
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:26 AM »

Brian

Good info! I never knew that when started with RFID no further messages will occur. Whenever I get another low transponder battery message I will start with RFID until I can replace the battery.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
The second thing is that if the RFID portion of KiPass is used, the bike will not look for a fob again at any time during that running cycle. [...]

Just a technicality, but I believe the system is always RFID.  It is active RFID when you use the wireless, remote, larger, active RFID fob.  It is passive RFID when you hold a non-powered (dead/missing battery) active RFID fob OR the smaller passive RFID fob in contact with the ignition area.  Either way it is radio frequency identification.   At least, this is my understanding.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
Good info! I never knew that when started with RFID no further messages will occur. Whenever I get another low transponder battery message I will start with RFID until I can replace the battery.

See my above message.  To start the Concours, you are always using RFID.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
See my above message.  To start the Concours, you are always using RFID.

Never mind I didn't see your post on this. Yes by RFID I was (and I believe Brian was) referring to passive mode.

Both are certainly using radio frequencies and transmitting an ID but RFID typically refers to a chip or mode without a battery that responds just by the inductance from the antenna. A transponder does essentially the same thing but actively transmits using a power source such as a battery. So by RFID I was referring to the mode without battery that works by touching the bump on the back of the stove knob. I'm pretty sure that's what Brian was referring to as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Never mind I didn't see your post on this. Yes by RFID I was (and I believe Brian was) referring to passive mode.

No problem.  I am just trying to nip this terminology situation quickly before people start saying "RFID" to mean "Passive RFID".  It could end up confusing some people in some cases (or perhaps not and I am just full of ****).

It is the same reason I *REFUSE* to call the passive fob a "credit card fob".  It is nothing like a credit card in shape, dimensions, weight, appearance, or function.  Better to call it what it really is.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
I think you are technically correct but I believe the acronym RFID is generally accepted to be a passive device. I do not know if there is even a correct term for the RF portion (the broadcasting portion) of a fob although there probably is and I just do not know it. I usually use the terms RFID to mean the passive side, and RF to mean the active portion of a fob. The whole situation really gets confusing to new people because the RFID fob is RFID only while the RF fob also contains an RFID portion internally that we normally do not use.

Brian

Just a technicality, but I believe the system is always RFID.  It is active RFID when you use the wireless, remote, larger, active RFID fob.  It is passive RFID when you hold a non-powered (dead/missing battery) active RFID fob OR the smaller passive RFID fob in contact with the ignition area.  Either way it is radio frequency identification.   At least, this is my understanding.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
Glad to see someone finally taking this issue seriously! For far too long people have been glossing over this issue and it is time someone stood up and stopped it! My hat is off to you sir, and if you decide to run for a political office on that platform (it is NOT a CREDIT CARD fob) rest assured that you will have my vote even if I have to move to a new location to deliver it. By the way, Mr. Elkhoof and Kirby are firmly on your side so never think you are alone in your crusade!

<yuk yuk>

Brian

No problem.  I am just trying to nip this terminology situation quickly before people start saying "RFID" to mean "Passive RFID".  It could end up confusing some people in some cases (or perhaps not and I am just full of ****).

It is the same reason I *REFUSE* to call the passive fob a "credit card fob".  It is nothing like a credit card in shape, dimensions, weight, appearance, or function.  Better to call it what it really is.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
I prefer to call it "The Thingamajig" :)

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
I jam C14 owners all of the time.

It is amusing. Those C14 owners who know me laugh about it.
Novice C14 owners get all worried when their bike won't start.

http://www.legalspeeding.com/HARD-System.htm

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
I jam C14 owners all of the time.

It is amusing. Those C14 owners who know me laugh about it.
Novice C14 owners get all worried when their bike won't start.

http://www.legalspeeding.com/HARD-System.htm

Huh?  ???

I don't get it, maybe I haven't had enough beers yet tonight... What does the H.A.R.D setup have to do with this??  :-\

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
Yeah I am confused as well...   :o

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
It will jam the KIPASS system all day long if the RADAR detector is turned off.
Once the RADAR detector is off, the HARD system thinks that there is active RADAR coming off of the detector.
It then transmits to the headset.
The transmission signal to the headset will jam KIPASS.
Not to mention Garage door openers, Chevy's, Fords, and every make of Car key fob withing 100 feet...

I appologize for confusing some with high tech electronics talk...
I forgot that most C14 owner were around before the light switch was invented and you still have problems grasping that concept.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:14:21 AM by MikeERideWNC »