Author Topic: geez ladies...if the shoe fits....  (Read 7780 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: geez ladies...if the shoe fits....
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
Poor judgement on the waiter's part. He must have written off any type of expected tip. Perhaps the waiter had a challenging encounter with the girls. If he was a member of the UAW he could have gone out back, drank alcohol and smoked dope, come back in to work and still have a job. Go figure. He better use the term "morbid obesity" in the future.

:rotflmao: He could have put "Morbidly obese girls" on the check.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Did he get a tip ?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »
Did he get a tip ?
A tip? You mean like 'Don't screw with the owners livelihood'? He got that when he got canned.  :thumbs:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Yep, that's one of those life learning tips.  Hopefully he's grateful and learned something from this.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline julianop

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
I have two points:
1. If "fat" is derogatory, while "thin" and "tall" are not, then these are value judgments made throughout our contemporary culture. "Rubenesque" is another way of saying fat, and it would have been acceptable years ago. Nowadays it's a snide euphemism. If you want to be "fat", you have every freedom to do so; as a nation we proudly defend and celebrate your right to do so; but you cannot then complain if somebody calls you that as a mere differentiator, and not as a moral judgment. If you don't like being called fat, don't be fat. Yes, it IS that simple. If it is your choice, then you have not right to fault me for observing your choice. Why should I have to support you in your denial? You can't have it both ways. If it is not your choice, then it is a mere statement of relative size, and society has no right to judge people negatively on that account.

I DO realize that the above sounds insensitive. I am not making a value judgment on what is , merely commenting on the state of our culture, and its propensity for emotional value, not consistent logic.

2. Given that we DO have this asinine paradox where it is OK to be fat but not to be called fat, the breathtaking lack of tact and judgment on behalf of the staff member is entirely regrettable. But Jeepers Creepers, people do a lot worse on a daily basis with no consequences whatsoever. Firing somebody is excessive; a reprimand would be appropriate.

If the guy does it again, sure, fire his ass, but not on the first "offense".
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
Yeah but that would also depend on how much they ate, right? I mean those there fat er, robust folks can eat a lot....

Brian

<snip>

Also if I were the owner/manager I would have covered their entire meal.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
Careful there Steve, I don't think it is PC to call them 'girls' either. I personally prefer the politically neutral (and therefore, trouble free) term 'gyno- Americans'. In more casual conversation 'Fe- persons' will also suffice.

;D

Brian

Yup, a warning would have been more fair. I bet even the big girls don't appreciate him being fired either.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
I don't know if that is true though- I think the waiter would have hesitated calling three fat guys 'fat' 'cause it would be a lot more likely that a rather unpleasant exchange would have taken place between said waiter and fat males.

I don't so much mind the fact that the water used a politically incorrect term (no matter if it was correct or not) as he clearly insulted three people. I also have to wonder if he would have been nearly as quick to insult three fat male who would have been far more likely to strike the waiter than complain to the media about the insult. Sort of like the old Texas saying 'Everyone should be afforded the respect due an armed man.' Put another way, if a person would not say 'XXXX' to someone holding a pistol then perhaps that person should not say 'XXXX' to anyone. Good manners cost nothing and rarely give offence.

Brian

I LOL'ed.   If it were 3 straight fat boys, nothing would have been said. Especially if it was a logical description.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
Careful there Steve, I don't think it is PC to call them 'girls' either. I personally prefer the politically neutral (and therefore, trouble free) term 'gyno- Americans'. In more casual conversation 'Fe- persons' will also suffice.

;D

Brian

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
Do not know about this situation but statistically people tend to be rude when they are treated rudely. I have never heard of a waiter doing this just out of the blue. Since a waiter's livelihood depends on tips and the size of tips generally is directly proportional to good service and butt kissing there must be more to the story. I think probably a thin, wiry dude could weave and bob until three obese dudes just simply collapse from fatigue..would not even need to throw a punch.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
I agree- we were not there and only know bits and pieces of what might be a much longer story. My point was more about general behavior rather than anything specific to this incident.

Brian

Do not know about this situation but statistically people tend to be rude when they are treated rudely. I have never heard of a waiter doing this just out of the blue. Since a waiter's livelihood depends on tips and the size of tips generally is directly proportional to good service and butt kissing there must be more to the story. I think probably a thin, wiry dude could weave and bob until three obese dudes just simply collapse from fatigue..would not even need to throw a punch.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
[/b]
LOL

You never know, hey does anyone remember ButterBean?   ;D

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »
In more casual conversation 'Fe- persons' will also suffice.
Iron Man?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
This is a society where it is OK to offend others, just do it in silence.  Add words like fat and all of a sudden it isn't OK, doesn't matter how accurate the word is and it certainly doesn't matter how offended the waiter is/was serving these 3 fat cows, what matters is the 3 fat cows got the offensive remark on camera.  Would anyone care if I were offended that they are offended?  I am offended if you don't care ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
There is no constitutional protection to go through life unoffended.  :)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »
.... I think probably a thin, wiry dude could weave and bob until three obese dudes just simply collapse from fatigue..would not even need to throw a punch.

Not something I would suggest you test out...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
This is the time of year when we hear about these seemingly incredible stories, sounds like a hoax to me though as are a lot of them. Who would go through the effort of actually typing in a comment like that knowing the customers, supervisors, fellow workers, auditors and anybody who may happen to look at the computer screen these types of receipts are generated on? A lot of the places that do that have a big screen that many close to the station where they are made can readily see it.   
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
There is no constitutional protection to go through life unoffended.  :)

Agreed.

I wonder if this would have would have come to light if the entry had been "morbidly obese girls".
Certainly they qualify for that term.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
OMFG.

That was in STOCKTON!!  Have you ever seen the chicks in Stockton?  They are f***ing FAT!

By the way, the City of Fresno's motto:  "At least we aren't Stockton"

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
By the way, the City of Fresno's motto:  "At least we aren't Stockton"
Careful, now you are going to offend everybody in Stockton.  :rotflmao: