Author Topic: clutch basket bad, warranty denied  (Read 33611 times)

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
Re: clutch basket bad, warranty denied
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
But back to the bike: if a competent mechanic does it, it should be fine. The bike started out as a gazillion parts and a bunch of workers put it together in the first place so there is no reason why it cannot be taken apart, put together again and all will be well.

Brian

It is that "competent mechanic" part that scares the **** out of me.... they seem to be few and far between as many are simply lazy, others too preoccupied and a large chunk of them simply don't care, don't know and don't love motorcycles.
If I did not do my own work, there is nobody within 100 miles of me I would trust to do it, so I likely would not even own a motorcycle, or I would simply have to buy a new one everytime the tires wore out-much like I do with my 4 wheeled vehicles and that would get spendy in a hurry on the bike. the cars- I barely drive them it'll be 7-8 years before I wear out the tires---and that is a sad reality of 30+ years experience in this local with all the local dealerships/shops and the lack of talent that parades through the service departments---some of that is very much managements fault for handcuffing and underpaying the very good ones....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
I used to have a guy who worked for me go in for hemorrhoid surgery and he had almost the identical thoughts: Will it run the same? Will  there be strange, new vibrations? Will I still be able to go for a long ride?  Hey, as I remember, that guy I worked with said the same thing.... 'Why me? Why my a$*#*le?'.

;) :D

Brian

Thanks Brian that cheered me right up! The glass is full!  :thumbs:

It is that "competent mechanic" part that scares the **** out of me.... they seem to be few and far between as many are simply lazy, others too preoccupied and a large chunk of them simply don't care, don't know and don't love motorcycles.
......-and that is a sad reality of 30+ years experience in this local with all the local dealerships/shops and the lack of talent that parades through the service departments---some of that is very much managements fault for handcuffing and underpaying the very good ones....

Well, that didn't last long...my glass is drained again.  :'(  ....woe is me.. :-\ :(

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 08:38:37 PM »
Well, now there we agree, unfortunately. The world runs on mediocrity or worse, and average; NASA got the cream of the crop so our local dealers..... well, they got what was left. Now that said, I happen to have an excellent dealer close by (20 minutes away) comprised of professionals who work to professional standards. I have complete confidence in them and always have (since I was short- they opened in 1947 and I was not even up to short yet then). But I also understand that not everyone, and unfortunately, perhaps a lot of folks, does not have access to such a dealership. And there are other motorcycle dealerships around that are.... questionable on their best days so I really do understand the wariness of having a machine so complex as a C-14 broken down to its innards and reassembled.

So given the reality of the situation, perhaps you are right to be wary Marty. ?? My sympathies in advance but I still hope it will go smoothly for you.

Brian

If I did not do my own work, there is nobody within 100 miles of me I would trust to do it, so I likely would not even own a motorcycle, or I would simply have to buy a new one everytime the tires wore out-much like I do with my 4 wheeled vehicles and that would get spendy in a hurry on the bike. the cars- I barely drive them it'll be 7-8 years before I wear out the tires---and that is a sad reality of 30+ years experience in this local with all the local dealerships/shops and the lack of talent that parades through the service departments---some of that is very much managements fault for handcuffing and underpaying the very good ones....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Kawasaki district rep was on my phone for quite a while this morning. Said he got a call from Arkansas,  and the place it was going to next week.  Long story short,  there is a clause that mentions ware and such including loss of compression.  I pushed and they pushed back saying it is worn.  At the end of the day they are covering the basket,  I will pick up the labor.   Leaving it at the dealership it is currently at.  They seem like good people able to complete the task.

Quietly praying the basket is the only thing Making noise.  Have little strength for round 2. After talking to kawasaki,  since there is the ware clause in the wording,  I am questioning the rest of the extend contract, .
I do know if there is still a noise,  it will be going elsewhere,  to where I was going to bring it next week. 

Guess I was foolish for thinking it was a warranty,  vs a contract thing.  But they covered my windshield assembly,  that has the same milage on it.  Not sure the difference.

Backorder part changed status,  so they were calling to get an update. Not sure how long it will be.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
This appears to be some good news.  At least they are buying the part.  I bet the labor rate there is less  than others closer to home.  Now just hope the part comes sooner than later!
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
A backordered part leaves the question... Are enough of these wearing out to use available stock(which we have not heard of) or none are wearing out which would indicate yours was a defective anomaly.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
The fiber discs are wear items. I could see the steels not being covered if you allowed your worn fibers to warp them of something, but if the clutch basket is defective, that's not a wear item. That's a defect. Think of all the brake rotors they have warrantied. I'm not cool with how they're handling it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 10:04:04 PM »
call mark at Kawasaki customer support he'll fix the situation.... 866-802-9381
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »

that's just mean  :rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
When a wire wore through, blowing the main fuse, Kawasaki reimbursed me for paying a Honda dealer to get me back on the road.  That is explicitly stated in the warranty as non covered.  Supposed to have a Kawasaki dealer fix.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2015, 05:10:31 AM »
no news yet, still waiting on this super common ware and tare part to come from japan.  ::)

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »
 :banghead:  still no part yet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:07 AM »
ebay?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
:banghead:  still no part yet

Yep, me too. Different part, but same waiting game.
 At least my service manager calls weekly with updates.  :)
 Even if there is nothing to update.  :'(

I've got my hopes up for mid September?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »

has mark been called?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
Almost every Honda Valkyrie I know of has the clutch damper plate go at around 50k. The rivets fail. No warranty coverage, considered a wear item. I would assume all the 1500 Gold Wings from the same era would have that same problem. So I would consider 87k on my clutch to be pretty decent. That said, plenty of C14's have gone over the 100k mark without any clutch problems.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
Yes, every single terrible name he could have been called, at least going by what I get from those who have actually spoken with him (I have never had any contact with the man).

:-)

Brian

has mark been called?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
has mark been called?

Yes, every single terrible name he could have been called, at least going by what I get from those who have actually spoken with him (I have never had any contact with the man).

Fairly common name, but I wonder if the warranty Mark is the same Mark that is seemingly the head of ROK?
The latter was helpful to me, and he showed up at the COG National (just before the dinner).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
I do not know if it is the same Mark or not.

And I was just making a small pun; as I said, I have never met nor had any type of exchange with the gentleman Mark who works or worked at Kawasaki- I was merely referencing what some others had said, with such vehemence, in the past. I of course have absolutely no opinion of the man- I usually try to wait and like or dislike people after I actually have some type of interaction with them  ;) ;D

Brian

Fairly common name, but I wonder if the warranty Mark is the same Mark that is seemingly the head of ROK?
The latter was helpful to me, and he showed up at the COG National (just before the dinner).

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »

.....as I said, I have never met nor had any type of exchange with the gentleman Mark who works or worked at Kawasaki- I was merely referencing what some others had said, with such vehemence, in the past. I of course have absolutely no opinion of the man- I usually try to wait and like or dislike people after I actually have some type of interaction with them  ;) ;D

Yeah Brian, like you I was just going by what others have said before. It was just a lot easier to quote you instead of doing the digging and research through old posts. It's hot here and I'm lazy.

And I was just making a small pun;...

I'm not sure any of your puns are small, but maybe you are just sparing us the really big ones?...and that's why you say that?  ;D