Author Topic: Ignition wiring different?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline timmerz

Ignition wiring different?
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
I've got a '92 Connie, and bought a new (to me) key-set on Ebay...ignition, tank and seat key locks...I thought the set was off an '86...anyway, yesterday as I was putting the ignition on and clipping the wiring harnesses together, I noticed that pretty-much the red wire was the only common colored wire between the two...thought to myself, "Uh-oh, this can't end well" and was correct...when swtching the key on the dash lights come on and I hear the click in the J-box, but nothing happens when pushie the start button...I hooked up the old one again just to verify, and it started right up...
What am I dealing with here? When did the colors of wires change, anybody know? And, should I just junk the new one I got and look for another, specifying what the wiring has to look like?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Ignition wiring different?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
The wiring, and the ignition switch itself changed in 1994.  Different things are connected in the ON position between the years.  I think it is possible to just change the lock cylinder if you're replacing it for just a key change.

PM sent with some more information.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
It looks like your main issue is going to be with your engine kill switch.  In the earlier bikes, like your 92, the engine kill switch gets it's power through the ignition switch.  In the later ones, it gets power off the J-box.  If you splice the YELLOW wire off the kill switch into the BROWN/YELLOW wire off the J-box, you'll accomplish the same wiring as the later bikes.

However, it is late, and my brain might not be reading the wiring diagram right, so someone else might want to confirm this.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline timmerz

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
I'm going to see if this can be done by my non-electrically-talented hands/fingers...great info, thanks Jon...