Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 889459 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1580 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:12 AM »
I also learned something yesterday.

CHP kinda frowns on girls from Florida going a little fast, especially in between lanes. There goes the clean driving record, and a few dollars.

If you're not getting tickets, you're not riding. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #1581 on: October 21, 2015, 07:31:20 AM »
Cops in that town probably have a quota to fill each shift, usually you get a warning
for splitting lanes.

Next time you get pulled over for splitting lanes at speed, tell the cop your bike
was overheating, hence the reason you had to keep it moving

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

sailor_chic

« Reply #1582 on: October 21, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
The cop was actually kind. He only wrote me for approximately 75 in a 65. I know I was going much faster. Then he did give me a lecture for lane splitting at speed.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1583 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
The cop was actually kind. He only wrote me for approximately 75 in a 65. I know I was going much faster. Then he did give me a lecture for lane splitting at speed.

Is there a lower speed limit for lane splitting? What is it? Is it posted?

Offline DialedN_13

« Reply #1584 on: October 21, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
Is there a lower speed limit for lane splitting? What is it? Is it posted?
IIRC its just the flow of traffic, and no more than the posted speed limit.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1585 on: October 21, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »
That is why I usually do not exceed 7 MPH over for extended highway riding- it runs the odds of getting pulled way up.  Then again, the penalty for going something like 20 or 25 MPH over in Montana is only $20 and payable on the spot... if I had known that when I was crossing that state, I could have made much better time.  ;) ;D

The actual ticket is usually the least expensive part these days- insurance rate increases are the real killer. You may be able to talk to the court clerk or prosecutor and plead guilty to something that will not be written as a 'moving violation'?

Brian

I also learned something yesterday.

CHP kinda frowns on girls from Florida going a little fast, especially in between lanes. There goes the clean driving record, and a few dollars.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #1586 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »

How does that work - a cop catching you while lane splitting?  His vehicle can't fit between the cars like your bike can, right?

Was the temptation high to lane split, as CA is the only place in the country that you can legally?

Did you have to pay the fine on the spot?

No radar detector?

Sounds like your not going to let that dampen your trip at all - NO ONE is perfect - carry on and SMILE as your doing something that
many of us can only dream about doing.   :banana:

So this is not totally  :offtopic:

I turned my bike on to check the mileage and gas level.  Hoping it warms up enough to get a ride in after a low this morning of 33°

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1587 on: October 26, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
How does that work - a cop catching you while lane splitting?  His vehicle can't fit between the cars like your bike can, right?

Was the temptation high to lane split, as CA is the only place in the country that you can legally?

No radar detector?

Sounds like your not going to let that dampen your trip at all - NO ONE is perfect - carry on and SMILE as your doing something that

I turned my bike on to check the mileage and gas level.  Hoping it warms up enough to get a ride in after a low this morning of 33°
Sounds like someone needs some heated gear. 33 is totally fine with me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1588 on: October 26, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
Not me.  I run heated gear at 60 or below.  If the sun's out then it's not so bad even down below freezing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #1589 on: October 26, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »

He must have been talking about 33°C not 33°F

As 1° above freezing - not counting the windchill effect does not sound like fun to me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1590 on: October 26, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »

Wow.  At night I have my heated vest on starting at about 58F or so and have it maxed out by about 34F and uncomfortable too (mostly because of legs- thermal underwear, jeans, then chaps but no heated anything there nor arms).  In the day I can deal with about 5 degrees colder than night.  The coldest I have ever been in was about 30F at night, and that was something I would not want to repeat (not unless I upgrade my gear (to heated arms and legs and some better neck protection).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1591 on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:04 AM »
The balaclava covering the neck happens around 40 degrees. I've got the heated jacket and pant liners, but don't need the pant liners anymore since I have a heated seat and the wind protection is so good. I also sold my heated gloves since the heated grips work so well.
I've got the Laminar lip on the screen that really helps block the wind, so my bike is set up really nice for cold weather. It really sucks on hot days though. That's when I rock the ZX14R. 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1592 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
Wow.  At night I have my heated vest on starting at about 58F or so and have it maxed out by about 34F and uncomfortable too (mostly because of legs- thermal underwear, jeans, then chaps but no heated anything there nor arms).  In the day I can deal with about 5 degrees colder than night.  The coldest I have ever been in was about 30F at night, and that was something I would not want to repeat (not unless I upgrade my gear (to heated arms and legs and some better neck protection).

For my neck I use one of those headband thingies that are supposed to keep your ears warm. I pull it down around my neck and it does a good job.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

sailor_chic

« Reply #1593 on: October 29, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »
Mine got a much needed bath today, in order to get the 6810 miles of road grime off of it. Time for new tires again. I have 9000 on my PR4GT's. This last trip with excessive interstate riding, I have flat spots now on them. I suppose if I would have bumped up the air pressure again, they might have worn better. However, when I left florida, they were at 42 and 43 psi. Two days later in California, they were at 40psi. I figured once I got back into warm weather of Florida, the pressure would have rose again, but they only were at 41 once home.

Oh, and I got out my box of Crayons again and colored in more states on my map  8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1594 on: October 29, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

Oh, and I got out my box of Crayons again and colored in more states on my map  8)

:thumbs:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1595 on: October 30, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »
Mine got a much needed bath today, in order to get the 6810 miles of road grime off of it.

You spent all this time getting a wonderful patina on the bike.......and you washed it off.  What are we going to do with you?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1596 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
That is why I usually do not exceed 7 MPH over for extended highway riding- it runs the odds of getting pulled way up.  Then again, the penalty for going something like 20 or 25 MPH over in Montana is only $20 and payable on the spot... if I had known that when I was crossing that state, I could have made much better time.  ;) ;D

The actual ticket is usually the least expensive part these days- insurance rate increases are the real killer. You may be able to talk to the court clerk or prosecutor and plead guilty to something that will not be written as a 'moving violation'?

Brian

Brian, I usually keep my speeds under 10 also. I try to live with the mantra "9 and you are fine, 10 you are mine". I was like a kid in a candy store, enjoying the lane splitting and I simply got caried away with my speed.

No radar detector?

I have no idea where he came from. I do know that I did get a lecture, including the finger shaking and stern voice. He was about a foot taller than me, and all I could do was look up and give him my puppy dog eyes, and say yes sir, sorry sir, etc.. Part of this lecture included how long it took him to catch up to me

A radar detector would have been useless, He has me on MVARS.

No fine paid on at this point. Just sign the ticket and away I went.Just a bit slower, but not much.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1597 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »
A radar detector would have been useless, He has me on MVARS.

MVARS?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1598 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
MVARS?

MVARS is an acronym for Mobile Video/Audio Recording Systems. These videos can be used to prove that you are actually innocent (or at least that there is a reasonable doubt) about the charges.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1599 on: October 30, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
But it sounds like a LEO would still need radar or lidar to check your speed. And if radar, a radar detector could still be useful. Am I missing something?