Author Topic: Not Wowed By BMW 1600 GT  (Read 33680 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Not Wowed By BMW 1600 GT
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Since we're on the subject, do you think the Connie is one of the best you've owned or ridden? Talking all-around-best here?

Mike

Yes! Definitely the best I've owned and ridden.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »
Yes! Definitely the best I've owned and ridden.

Good to hear. Thanks!

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here but I was thinking, almost certain I was going to trade it in end-of-next-year for a Triumph Trophy but I'm having 2nd thoughts now. When I was convinced I was going to make that move it was before I found the right seat and before Steve's ECU flash which made the bike so much more fun to ride! I may still trade it in but am thinking about staying with Concours now and getting a new one when the 2017 model comes out. Shoot, I can buy the bike and farkle it and have Steve flash it for less than a new BMW or Triumph! I still enjoy the "sportier" riding position of the Concours (no bar risers for me) and don't know if I'm ready to go completely upright yet! Supposedly Kawi is changing the Concours in 2017, info I received from a Kawi salesperson.

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
The reason I buy Kawasaki's is so I don't have to go to the dealers- after 5 years the only time the bike saw a dealer again was for the safety recall. Awesome reliability so far.

+1

Mine has went over 109,000 miles.  KiPass is so powerful I never dreamed of pinning bags or radiator protection or such.  Just Rotella oil and 89 gas and go!!!        
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
... but I fail to see where the term "upgrade" fits in here, both when talking of "upgrading" a perfectly working '08 C14 to a '10+, or from the C14 ...

My '08 C14 with 91,000 miles has been a superlative bike. No major issues, just reliable...and FAST (flies out, PCIII, AreaP CF slipon).

I had been looking at getting a second bike...maybe a Tuono or S2R1000 or...well, then I saw zxjack's '10 C14 for $5900 with a Rostra CC and Cox radiator guard. I jumped on it.

The '10 has some things that I like...traction control, better stock windscreen, nicer looking fairing, better fit/finish, ability to scroll thru display and linked brakes (gasp!).

I'm not a big fan of the linked brake calibration but I do believe in the concept. Everything else is way better than my '08. My '08 has a CB Euro Tour windscreen..it's HUGE. The '10 stock windscreen is much better than the '08 stock screen and a nice contrast to the CB screen.

For the mild Savannah "winters", the '10 screen is plenty. Last year, I rode to Newfoundland and the CB screen was welcome...even in June.

My '08 suspension is close to clapped out...it's had a hard life...lots of dirt, gravel and rutted roads. I have done hundreds of full throttle runs thru the first three gears (stock clutch) and it still runs and shifts great (but not as "snick, snick" as the lower mileage '10).

The heat management of the C14v2 is also much better than my '08.

I realize that the '10 is more neutered than the '08/'09 but I'm not interested in going faster than 135 anyway. I will probably reflash the '10 ECU next year...or, maybe not.

It's too bad so many of the mags subtract points because of the lack of a Kawasaki cruise control.

IMO, there are significant upgrades in the C14v2 ('10 and later) that are worth extra $$.

Unfortunately, I have resigned myself to not even attempting to sell my "high mileage" '08. Best bet is that I will be able to trade it. At least I can now take the '08 to the track without reservation...now that I have another bike to ride.

YMMV.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
+1

Mine has went over 109,000 miles.  KiPass is so powerful I never dreamed of pinning bags or radiator protection or such.  Just Rotella oil and 89 gas and go!!!        

;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ruffride

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
Mike,

I work in Newhall live in the North SF bay area and was trying to get home on that Friday. Grapevine and Tehachapi were closed. I gambled and lost. I tried to slip out of So Cal on 33 and it was closed do to a slide. I got to the tunnel and was turned around and took the 150 to the north end of Santa Barbara along the hills.
I then suffered my way up 101 then cut over south of King City to Coalinga I think it was 190 or 192.

I want to keep up on the conditions of alternate routes as we are headed into another El Nino and the Grapevine might be a train wreck. Oddly enough I was on my C10 on the Grapevine as the 1998 El Nino was dropping Malibu houses into the ocean. When I finally made Hollywood the rain was so thick I was down to 20 feet of visibility. All I could do was laugh at myself for thinking this was a good idea.

There are not too many places in California I have not been so…

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »
+1

You use 89 octane without issues? Is yours flashed with Steve's latest flash?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Mike,

I work in Newhall live in the North SF bay area and was trying to get home on that Friday. Grapevine and Tehachapi were closed. I gambled and lost. I tried to slip out of So Cal on 33 and it was closed do to a slide. I got to the tunnel and was turned around and took the 150 to the north end of Santa Barbara along the hills.
I then suffered my way up 101 then cut over south of King City to Coalinga I think it was 190 or 192.

I want to keep up on the conditions of alternate routes as we are headed into another El Nino and the Grapevine might be a train wreck. Oddly enough I was on my C10 on the Grapevine as the 1998 El Nino was dropping Malibu houses into the ocean. When I finally made Hollywood the rain was so thick I was down to 20 feet of visibility. All I could do was laugh at myself for thinking this was a good idea.

There are not too many places in California I have not been so…

Best,

Jon

Jon, that's quite a commute, Frisco to Newhall!

I know the Grapevine well. I used to spend every summer in Kingsburg hanging out with my cousins ... great memories! I was only a kid and was dreaming of making that trip on a bike back then! I've always wanted to ride ... I was born with that bug!

El Nino's going to really mess with our riding. It was the last El Nino that washed out the main road going home. It was taking me 4-5 hours to get home from work ... a drive that, without traffic, would only take 30 minutes!

Take care,

Mike

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2015, 05:23:45 AM »
The higher the rpms, the higher compression.  It's the way the engine works.  Sort of an on demand kind of thing.  I'm going to run what the bike manufacturer specified or above, but that's me.  89 is close to the recommended value of 90.   Steve rides the he** out of his bike and it looks like it's mad Powah has not been compromised.  We don't have 90 in this country.  At least I've never seen it.  I think that the engine is 'noisier' when running 89 but that's subjective..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
The only place where the R1200RT is going to out shine the C14 is on an alpine tour with nothing but switchbacks as far as the eye can see. Not typical American tour riding. (Yes there are places)

Before I landed back on my chair (from the jump that provoked the shock of your statement) I had all sorts of things to say to refute it, but maybe I am prejudging you, so before I say anything stupid and basically underestimate you: what's your source for that? have you been here in the Alps with a C14 and an RT to back you up?
Just for reference: I did. Many, many thousands of km/miles. And I have no idea why somebody would say something like that, except for personal preference. And here are my conclusions: the RT is wobbly (yeap, even with the ESA dialled in to the stiffest setting), unstable, noisy, with a front end that tells you less than the NSA, and all at a fantastic (in the sense of ridiculous) MSRP. It is, in my opinion, a fantastic mile muncher, even better than the K16 in terms of bang for the buck, and more comfortable, lighter and manoeuvrable.

On a side note: you guys who think, as BMW want you to, that the GTL version is more comfy than the GT, pay attention to your knees. You will, specially after a days riding (>500 miles).
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »
All I can do is  :) at this point....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2015, 06:33:07 AM »
Good to hear. Thanks!

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here but I was thinking, almost certain I was going to trade it in end-of-next-year for a Triumph Trophy but I'm having 2nd thoughts now. When I was convinced I was going to make that move it was before I found the right seat and before Steve's ECU flash which made the bike so much more fun to ride! I may still trade it in but am thinking about staying with Concours now and getting a new one when the 2017 model comes out. Shoot, I can buy the bike and farkle it and have Steve flash it for less than a new BMW or Triumph! I still enjoy the "sportier" riding position of the Concours (no bar risers for me) and don't know if I'm ready to go completely upright yet! Supposedly Kawi is changing the Concours in 2017, info I received from a Kawi salesperson.

Mike

The only Triumph I've ridden is the Rocket III. If your looking for something to pull stumps, that is the beast to have. I have never felt anything with more low end torque.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
I had the bug for a K1600 GT for a while as well. The main thing about it that sounded attractive to me is the reputed lower center of gravity. But I've concluded that it just isn't different enough than the C14 to warrant a switch, especially at the price.

Now, I came off a 1200RT. I really liked that bike. It handled well, it felt light and maneuvered well at low speed, and had excellent range and good wind protection. Both the throttle and the clutch pulls were light. The cruise control was great. There were a few annoying things about it though. It shook. It was easy to stall. It was a bit underpowered. But I kind of wish I still had it.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »

When are you going to be out here? I look forward to seeing you and riding with you. We need to go up and over Hwy 33 and grab a burger in Maricopa or something in that area! We can go wherever we decide to go, so many good options out here!

Mike
[/quote]

Should be there next week.  I have some repairs to do at the house, then we ride.  Burger place is in new cuyama.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »

When are you going to be out here? I look forward to seeing you and riding with you. We need to go up and over Hwy 33 and grab a burger in Maricopa or something in that area! We can go wherever we decide to go, so many good options out here!

Mike

Should be there next week.  I have some repairs to do at the house, then we ride.  Burger place is in new cuyama.

Mick

Nice ... looking forward to it!
Mike
Ojai, CA