Author Topic: Torque spec for link bolts  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Torque spec for link bolts
« on: June 24, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »
Anyone know what the torque spec is for the bolts that go on the lowering links? Also, is it advisable to smear a bit of anti-seize grease on the bolt and the sleeve?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: Torque spec for link bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »
tie rod nuts are 44 ft-lbs.  If you keep an eye on the fasteners I don't see why some anti-sneeze would hurt anything.  I didn't see a reference for locking agent in the manual.  If you take it apart and see locking agent, I would stick with that.
T.S.R.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »
Thank you tactical.

Heck....I think I tried to torque at 60 ft-lbs. It felt too tight and so I stopped before it clicked. I hope I did not cause any damage.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
If you didn't deform the tie rod, you should be fine.  An extra ten lbs or so shouldn't have caused any damage.  Torque to 44 lbs and go for a ride.   :)
T.S.R.

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »
With the rear tire removed the whole right tetra-link system feels loose. Creeped me out the first time. Most all the pivot points have internal sleeves.
Incredable set up, quite possibly the most advanced shaft drive system to date.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
lol - yeah it does feel loose. I some how frenched in a jack underneath the tire to help me align it back to put the bolt in (or take it out first). Well, the tire slipped off the jack. I first tried to heave the wheel up by hand, but it won't budge. Then I got a snow shovel, put it under the tire, used the jack as pivot and it just was so easy to move up and down. But then I needed an extra pair of hands. So I first recruited my niece, which did not last long. She just helped me take the bolt out, and off she went. So, recruited my wife next. Cost me almost an hour to dig holes for her to plant flower before she came and helped me slide the bolt back in. Shees! I need a son around this house.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14