Author Topic: Washing the bike  (Read 20096 times)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
Re: Washing the bike
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
    Dawn is the detergent of choice for wax and other protectant removal by auto detailers kinda like previous posters have mentioned.

Mike

OK, so that adds to my point. I guess if you want to strip the bike of wax and protectants, then use Dawn. The OP asked about simply washing the bike, not removing the wax.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
If I'm going to commit to washing my bike, then I'm going to spend the extra ten minutes to re-polish and wax. Fine particles can get trapped in the wax and abrade the finish if you don't remove it.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
I use a few methods.  Most of the time I'm in a huge hurry and use this stuff called Best Overall Method.  You can use it on everything and it's a waterless wash.  I've been using it since 2003 and I love the stuff.  I will even take a small spray bottle with me on trips to clean up the bike.  I've gotten so many friends hooked on the stuff.  They make some other products as well, but I stick with the wash.  The guys at OCC even use it.  I'm not sure that's a good plug, but for what it's worth.  I just sent a bottle to my dad so he can clean his cars quicker.  Do a search for the stuff, I can't recommed it enough.  I also use it on my car.  The site looks like a little bit of "as seen on TV," but he has a free offer for a small bottle and cloths.  Give it a shot.

Sometimes for a really quick clean-up I'll use Plexus and a microfiber cloth, but it seems the price of Plexus is getting crazy so I may just start using the Pledge method. 

Today was the first water wash.  I use S100 for spots I can't get to really well like the swingarm, the suspension linkage, and the brake calipers.  I'll also use it a little on the wheels.  Then some spray on the engine because I love the smell.  For soap I used Zaino's car wash.  I love Zaino's.  Your car will never look like as good as when you use their products.  Recently, I've stopped using it because it's very labor intensive if you want it to look incredible and the prices of the stuff.  For Zaino's to really look its best you'll need multiple coats.  I would do five.  Also the wax isn't as lasting as other brands.  This is fine because the products are mainly geared toward show vehicles so they don't see as much as the elements as a daily driver.  If you want to see how good it can looks I'll post a picture of a black vehicle I owned right after I went through the whole process.

I just bought some products called Optimum.  They make a bunch of stuff.  I just waxed my bike with it and it seems to do a very good job.  So far I like it because it's just spray on and wipe off.  I have some of their other products I bought in a kit.  If it works well I may end up a customer.  I haven't used any of it enough to form an opinion yet.

Every single one of my vehicles look brand new.  I'm pretty anal about the whole thing.  Most of my bikes have been high mileage and I can ALWAYS count on somebody, somewhere asking me if my bike is new.
I feel like a new person!

Offline booger

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
I wash with an automobile car soap, whatever is on sale.  Water hose w/ no nozzle.  Don't spray around electronics or bearings.

I rigged up an old hot tub air blower w/ craftsman hoses and nozzle to blow dry the bike.  Then wipe dry w/ microfibre towels.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
Washing?   :nuts:

Some of us take pride in our Concourses and want them to look even more awesome  ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »

WASH it!?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 05:09:13 AM »
If I'm going to commit to washing my bike, then I'm going to spend the extra ten minutes to re-polish and wax. Fine particles can get trapped in the wax and abrade the finish if you don't remove it.

10 mins to wax the bike? I must be doing something wrong then because if I wax the bike it takes me at least an hour more.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »

10 mins to wax the bike? I must be doing something wrong then because if I wax the bike it takes me at least an hour more.

OMG, you are just slow ;)

It doesn't take me an hour+, but it doesn't take 10 min either.  I would guess about 30 min.  Of course, I am not using "wax" but Mother's Synwax (liquid synthetic)... it goes on very easily and is also easy to buff after it dries.  It WOULD be 10 min, considering how little surface area there is on a bike, but the fairings are complex, especially the vent areas, and that is a slow-down.

With proper application, proper washing in the year afterward (see prev postings), and storage of the bike out of the sun/elements it should provide a year or more of excellent protection.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 05:36:46 AM »
OMG, you are just slow ;)

That's what my wife says. Slow isn't always a bad thing though.   :P

It doesn't take me an hour+, but it doesn't take 10 min either.  I would guess about 30 min.  Of course, I am not using "wax" but Mother's Synwax (liquid synthetic)... it goes on very easily and is also easy to buff after it dries.  It WOULD be 10 min, considering how little surface area there is on a bike, but the fairings are complex, especially the vent areas, and that is a slow-down.

With all the nooks and crannies Connie has, plus having to fetch my own beer from the house, it takes me a good while. Do you have a hugger? That's almost a 10 min job alone.   lol

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mkorn

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:43 AM »
i use Turtle Wax car wash and Dawn before a wax job.

never even thought about getting it wet as not good for it.  just use the hose with the tip set to shower.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
Strip wash with Dawn, use gas blower to dry.  Then use Zaino Z5, let dry throughly. Wipe off with 100% cotton towel - then put on coat of Z2 on the complete bike windscreen, paint, everything put exhaust and leather seat! Seal with Zaino clear shield then shown car shine spray by Zaino.

Once you use Zaino products you'll be hooked!

Zaino is good stuff, I switched over to Adams products and their customer service is second to none...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:10 AM »
i use Turtle Wax car wash and Dawn before a wax job.

never even thought about getting it wet as not good for it.  just use the hose with the tip set to shower.

How do you wash it with Dawn and Turtle wax car wash without getting the bike wet?  :o

Offline koval68

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »

I start and move the bike, and leave it running...

Bike is nice and hot now.  I turn it off.

Why do you leave it running?  :o
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
See, already it's getting complicated.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline koval68

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:49 AM »
My point, exactly... ;D
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »

Cool bike, cold beer, what's complicated about that?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
Cool bike, cold beer, what's complicated about that?

+1...  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
I'm lazy, so I only do a full wash/wax in the spring before pulling it out of storage for the season.  For that I use Meguiars Car Wash concentrate followed up by a coat of whatever wax I happen to have on hand.  During the riding season I just spray it down real good with Meguiars Quick Detailer and wipe it down with microfiber towels to remove the bugs and dust.  Takes all of 5-10 minutes. 

In the fall I'll give it a good washing and detailing (no wax) before putting it up for the winter.  Basically clean the wheels, suspension linkage, bottom of the engine, etc. to get any gunk off so it's nice and clean when I do my spring maintenance routine.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
Why do you leave it running?  :o

I want the bike to be somewhat hot because it will dry faster.  I also want it to try and recover the battery some from the start.  With the bike already "on", I can raise and lower the windshield for washing.  And, finally, I check all the lights and such as part of the procedure to make sure everything is working.  I also get to listen to it from all angles to notice anything unusual that can't be heard with helmet on and/or when sitting on it.

Once I am done with the windshield and first rinse, I turn it off for further washing then dray, polish, buff.  But if I am doing a quick wash, I will often just leave it running the whole time (of course, the whole quick wash, rinse, and dry, in that case, is only like 10 min)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
I want the bike to be somewhat hot because it will dry faster. 

You should have bought an 08/09 Max, haven't you heard about the major heat issue...  ::)