Author Topic: Washing the bike  (Read 20097 times)

Offline atilla457

Washing the bike
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
Got my leftover 2009 abs in fastest color black, at the end of April.  Put in about 1100 miles already.

- first day, I felt the blood in my face go to the back of my head :)
- it looks and behaves like a fighter jet.
- the mirrors remind me "goofy".
- it is heavy :)  already dropped it once while pushing it (first day).
- what I don't like is it gives instant speed as an option (and makes me lazy.  I'm actively working on this aspect.)

I added and in the process of adding, top case, radiator guard, fender extender, risers.  I think the last thing will be a taller windshield.

Anways, how do you guys wash the bike?  I used to just hose my previous bikes, but it feels like that's not a good thing for c14.Any areas/spots to be careful about?

thanks,
enjoy your c14.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Excavator

Re: Washing the bike
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
A lot of guys here use a water hose (it's probably fine), I have not done that yet (I do worry about the electronics getting wet), Mine is a black 09 and all I have done is use pledge polish and micro-fiber towels, it still looks basically new w/2,200 miles and is always clean. I did ride through a heavy shower last weekend with no ill effects. I rode my last bike for 3 years and never used a hose on it other than the wheels, it still looked new when I sold it.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
I wait for it to rain, and then go for ride.  ;D
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
Garden hose and a bucket of soapy water (Dawn dishwashing detergent). I use a microfiber covered sponge to wash and a microfiber cloth to dry. If you've seen some of the downpours I've ridden through, you'd stop worrying about washing the bike. It can handle it.

Offline MIST

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
Garden hose and a bucket of soapy water (Dawn dishwashing detergent). I use a microfiber covered sponge to wash and a microfiber cloth to dry. If you've seen some of the downpours I've ridden through, you'd stop worrying about washing the bike. It can handle it.

Agree. Bucket of soapy water (Meguiars Gold Class) and a soft washing mit.  Very light water pressure with the hose, especially around the handlebars and dash area. Dry with a soft towel, once-over with the Blaster sidekick, then finish with the soft towel a second time.
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
Repeated washings and rain riding for my C14, still runs like a charm.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Just don't use a pressure washer or a car wash. You wouldn't want to force water in a bearing or pivot point.

1,100 miles! I've done that in a day! ::)

8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:45:12 PM »
Repeated washings and rain riding for my C14, still runs like a charm.

Bingo.  Two weekends ago it was storming and pouring.  And I had a dirty bike.  I went for a ride!

Clean bike!

Well look, the road grime and all that crap is on the headers and under the engine but I'm not afraid to wash it with a hose and soap.  If I can't, I don't want it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
I just use a wet microfiber towell to wipe it down...

Offline Tahoe C14

• RED 14's RULE!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
Yeah what he said....ZG.....I do the same.
Jim
2009 "RED" ABS 14

"These bikes just plain kick ass"

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
Ridden it through downpours that felt like hail, it was so heavy. Not a problem for the Connie, although I never see it as cleaner after that then when I started. Road dirt and just plain dirty rainwater is no substitute for fresh water out of the faucet and a scrub-down with a cleaner/wax combo solution sold at Auto Zone.

I wouldn't recommend Dawn or any other dishwashing soap, it leaves a film, in my experience.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
how do you guys wash the bike?  I used to just hose my previous bikes, but it feels like that's not a good thing for c14.Any areas/spots to be careful about?

Well, this is how I wash my C14, and the ZRX before it (and similar to car washing):

(This all assumes the bike was already stripped with Dawn and Mother's Synwax applied)
(Motorcycles are generally waterproof)
It is best to wash when not in direct sun, yet that is not always possible.
I start and move the bike, and leave it running...
I hose the outside surfaces down with a sprayer set on full jet but use "shower" for the dash area.  This is VERY important, you want the bike to be extremely wet and you want to soak any bug spots.  The object is to remove as much crud as possible to prevent scratching when washing.
Then I fill a clean bucket about 4" with water.
Add an ounce of Blue Coral wash n' wax.
Use a microfiber yard-type mit.
Wash the bike, starting with the windshield.  Careful circles with very light pressure, making sure not to scratch, dipping often into the bucket.
Then raise the windshield and wash the back side and hard to reach areas.
Bike is nice and hot now.  I turn it off.
Move to dash/controls/handles, then to tank and seat and other top areas.
Rinse with sprayer set to "shower".
Wash one side, then the other, then the wheels.
Rinse with sprayer set to "shower"- whole bike.
Dry with The Absorber artificial chamois.

The Blue Coral wash will not harm/remove the Synwax and adds a slight new layer of protection with each wash.  With a properly polished/protected bike (and I use it on the headlights and windshield too), removing dirt, bugs, etc, is much easier and it will prevent damage from bird crap and leaves (although those should always be removed ASAP from painted surfaces).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Garden hose and a bucket of soapy water (Dawn dishwashing detergent).

Caution: You should not use Dawn to clean any vehicle paint EXCEPT when preparing to wax or polish the bike.  Dawn is very harsh and the ammonia will remove any protectant on the paint (which is desired when preparing to seal/polish, but NOT for normal washing).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
Microfiber towel and Plexus on the windscreen and front of fairing...spray it on let it soak for a couple of minutes and the bugs will wipe right off
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Strip wash with Dawn, use gas blower to dry.  Then use Zaino Z5, let dry throughly. Wipe off with 100% cotton towel - then put on coat of Z2 on the complete bike windscreen, paint, everything put exhaust and leather seat! Seal with Zaino clear shield then shown car shine spray by Zaino.

Once you use Zaino products you'll be hooked!

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
Washing?   :nuts:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »
i use a hose, except i dont get crazy with it around the dash area. 39,000 miles with no water related issues :)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:36:34 AM »
Caution: You should not use Dawn to clean any vehicle paint EXCEPT when preparing to wax or polish the bike.  Dawn is very harsh and the ammonia will remove any protectant on the paint (which is desired when preparing to seal/polish, but NOT for normal washing).
I agree ..... I was always taught that using dish detergent to wash a bike is not good practice. Dish washing liquids are made to dissolve the grease and grime from your dishes. Your bike has various pivot and lubed joints that are accessibe to your washing. There is no good reason to have sudsy, grease cutting agents, oozing in to those spots.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
I agree ..... I was always taught that using dish detergent to wash a bike is not good practice. Dish washing liquids are made to dissolve the grease and grime from your dishes. Your bike has various pivot and lubed joints that are accessibe to your washing. There is no good reason to have sudsy, grease cutting agents, oozing in to those spots.

Dawn is the detergent of choice for wax and other protectant removal by auto detailers kinda like previous posters have mentioned.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Washing?   :nuts:

You crusty old fart!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey