Author Topic: Temporary winshield malfunction.  (Read 5880 times)

Offline jamiemac

Temporary winshield malfunction.
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
While prepping the Connie for a ride today, I went to raise the windshield to it highest position so I could get at the bug guts out from under it. No joy. The windshield wouldn't move. Started doing some minor diagnostic procedures, such as starting the bike and trying again. Nothing. Checked battery connections, fuses & voltage at switch. All in good shape. My riding buddy was waiting so I buttoned up the bike and we rode about 60 miles to Friendship, Indiana, & I tried the shield several times while on the road. Nothing. We arrived at our destination & had some BBQ then walked around about 3 hours. When we made it back to the bikes, the first thing I did was try the shield. No problems. It was working fine.

Only thing I can figure is something computer related, that reset after My FOB was away from the bike.

Is Our shield connected to KiPass & could a reboot work like a Windows computer?
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Bob

Re: Temporary winshield malfunction.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:52:45 AM »
Probably an electrical issue. Motor or connection somewhere? But it's kind of hard to find if it's not failing now!  :D

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:27:23 AM »
Warranty runs out this month. If it comes back, I hope it's before then.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
You may want to get an extended warranty.  It's cheaper than replacing the windshield guts..  You have to get it, though, before the original warranty runs out.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:40:54 AM »
I'd like too, but can't swing it Jim. It's a great price though. If the shield dies, I'll put it in it's lowest position and live with it until I can fix it myself...unless it dies before May 29.

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
I you live 60 miles from Friendship, you live close to a lot of good roads.
You ever have lunch at either of these Indiana eateries, The Osgood Grub Company or Wagners Village Inn ?
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »
I never have, but I'd like to hear about them. Always looking for good chow.

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »
Most of my lunch destinations are found because of the good roads in the area.
Wagners in Oldenburg has the best pan fried chicken in the world, period.
The Osgood Grub Company in Osgood Indiana is a local hot spot, I was impressed with the size and quality of this place for being in somewhat small town.
Camilles in Madison is our usual weekend breakfast stop when traveling in that direction.
I lived in Cincinnati for the first 20 years of my life and have lived in and around Louisville KY for the last 30 years, I've been up and down both sides of the Ohio river and surrounding areas many many times.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:51 AM »
Most of my lunch destinations are found because of the good roads in the area.
Wagners in Oldenburg has the best pan fried chicken in the world, period.
The Osgood Grub Company in Osgood Indiana is a local hot spot, I was impressed with the size and quality of this place for being in somewhat small town.
Camilles in Madison is our usual weekend breakfast stop when traveling in that direction.
I lived in Cincinnati for the first 20 years of my life and have lived in and around Louisville KY for the last 30 years, I've been up and down both sides of the Ohio river and surrounding areas many many times.
That is AWESOME info! Thanks Bob. I'm in Clarksville, & My primary riding buddy is in Charlestown.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
While prepping the Connie for a ride today, I went to raise the windshield to it highest position so I could get at the bug guts out from under it. No joy.

Had you just washed the bike?  If so, I suppose it is possible you got water into the switch...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 05:19:22 AM »
Wash...what that? LOL. Nope, I was just taking it out from under the cover, and went to raise up the shield first thing. Wouldn't go so I just cleaned what I could get to with diaper rinsed in warm water with a little dawn detergent to lift the bug guts. I have however been in some pretty good downpours & never experience any electrical issues. Even My cruise control switch stays water tight.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
The presence of the fob would have nothing to do with the windshield controls.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:12 PM »
I wasn't sure if the windshield was controlled bu the computer or not.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »
Nothing definitive here, but having recently taken out one of those units, I would check the plug for corrosion and check your switch.  If you haven't invesitaged the unit yet, you'll need to take some plastic off etc. to get to it.  Despite it's appearance it's a pretty since device.  Might be something simple.  Of course if it's not, it's expensive.  While you are there you should check the mirror stay bracket.  My friends wasn't even finger tight.

T.S.R.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
Bike is still under warranty right? So schedule an appointment and take it in. Tell them it works sporadically or not at all. Have it fixed NOW and be done with it. If you want document the problem with a video before you take it in, in case it picks that day to work properly.

Otherwise, sure as Hell has lawyers rotating on spits, the shield mechanism will go **** up the day after your warranty ends.

And I'd also pay the $340 for an extended warranty. I will be doing that later this year. Relatively cheap insurance against stuff like this.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
Glad its working again. I'm surprised it took KiPass that long to correct the problem
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rawman

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
LOL!!!!!
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline MJJ_ZX6RR

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:34 AM »
I had the same problem on my UK 2010, and it was because the starter button remained pressed in after starting the bike. Only ever happened the once, and it was after washing the bike.

I think the starter button must trigger some sort of unloader relay that disables un-necessary electrical items to allow the starter to crank at its best.

I imagine that the headlights were also disabled, but I did not think to check that until 'after' I worked out the starter switch was stuck in.

Martin.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:08 AM »
Mine is still fine. Never another peep from it.