Author Topic: G. D*mn Dealers!!!  (Read 10494 times)

Offline ridingfar

G. D*mn Dealers!!!
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
Over 20 years without having a dealer touch my bikes and late fall I get new rotors under warrenty.

Fast forward to the present and tonight I go to pull the front wheel off to put on new tires for a trip I'm headed out on in a week. Go to turn off the front brake caliper bolts and their rock solid over torqued. Gently apply preasure with the hex socket fully inserted and it wont budge. Thinking it will break free with a little more counter torque and it begins to turn...but NOOOOO! It's rounding the hex out!

Check the other three and their all waaaay too tight also....

Yeah, yeah....I should have not torqued it to failure, but I've changed tires and worked on my own bikes for years, including this one, and it was NOT just tightened to the 25 ft. lbs. spec'ed for these bolts.

Now I have to:
- Get these bolts out, with one nicely rounded
- Get at least one replacement bolt, and
- STILL change the d*mn tire!!

SOB Dealer Shop Monkeys!

Excavator

Re: G. D*mn Dealers!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
I feel for ya man, most of those dealers have young kids or know nothings back in the shop, they don't want to pay for the good help. Good luck with the bolts.

If you want something done right........

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
Well.......  Get some GOOD drills, preferably cobalt, and a sharp ***** / center punch.  Take your time & drill the heads off.....
p.s. I'd give the dealer a call & let the service manager know what happened, even though it happened awhile back.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
That really sucks......although too typical it seems. ::) I fear that a tech would over-torque on my bike too, and I will drive it into their heads that they had better torque to factory specs or else.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

YoDoc

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
Part of the reason the shop monkeys suck is because they don't get paid s**t.

Who wants a job like that?

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
There are some good mechanics out there, but as you said the shops regress them. It's like that in any industry that pays by the peice or job. The more you produce or quicker you fix something, it's on to the next job, torqueing takes time :nuts: Have had so many bad experiences with my vehicles it is pathetic, wish I were alittle more mechanically adept like Mr Harmon. His maintenance video rocks. :hail:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:43:06 PM by C14PAINKILLER »
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »
I changed out my brakes over the weekend and torqued both the mounting bolts and caliper pins.   This doesn't help the OP but it makes me feel better.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:04:16 AM »
I suspect the bolts are in with Lock Tite. Try heating the heads with a solder gun before you remove them. I've had a number of the factory allen bolts start to round of because of this.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I suspect the bolts are in with Lock Tite. Try heating the heads with a solder gun before you remove them. I've had a number of the factory allen bolts start to round of because of this.

Did just that - heated the caliper mounting bracket that the bolt threads into with a propane torch, gave the socket a rap with a hammer to break the locktite bond and got the three good bolts out. Took a torx head socket and tapped it into the rounded out hex bolt head and again with the heat and a hammer pop got enought grip to remove that bolt.

BASTARDS!!! All four bolts had RED locktite on them! No wonder they didn't want to come out. Called the service manager and he agreed, shouldn't have used red locktite. New bolts should be in Friday so life goes on again.

Note to self: Do your own work, and when you can't because it's under warrenty always double check any work done by others!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Its a shame... the whole stealership thing.  As someone said they don't get paid sh***. 

The good mechanics do, but not the monkies that remove plastics, change oil, "replace rotors" and such trivial tasks.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

YoDoc

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
It's hard to find the balls to work your way up into a senior position when the first fifteen years are at 10-15 bucks an hour.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
red loctite rules! i use it on everything! :)
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »
red loctite rules! i use it on everything! :)

hmm..if thats the cure for stealership's crappy service during warranty repairs, I'll dip my bike in it (if it ever breaks)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
oh if something breaks, you use duct tape or zip ties...if they can't help, use a dremel and cut it off.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:53 AM »
Did just that - heated the caliper mounting bracket that the bolt threads into with a propane torch, gave the socket a rap with a hammer to break the locktite bond and got the three good bolts out. Took a torx head socket and tapped it into the rounded out hex bolt head and again with the heat and a hammer pop got enought grip to remove that bolt.

BASTARDS!!! All four bolts had RED locktite on them! No wonder they didn't want to come out. Called the service manager and he agreed, shouldn't have used red locktite. New bolts should be in Friday so life goes on again.

Note to self: Do your own work, and when you can't because it's under warrenty always double check any work done by others!

Are they replacing the bolts free of charge?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:27 AM »

When my dealer replaced my 'old spec' front tire with the correct "U"
suffix front tire on my 2010, they doubled the torque on every bolt
they touched.  I was checking the torque when I got home when I
found this.  Sent the owner an Email and asked him to order all the
bolts, they sent them free of charge.  No Loc-tite on mine, just stretched
bolts.

Mick

'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »

Yes...

Offline buffalo

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
Posted this on the old forum, might as well post it here. A couple years ago I took my bike to the local Kawi dealer for the 7500 mile service. Picked it up and rode it home, everything seemed fine. When I got home I popped the glove box open and found a zip-lock baggie with a few screws and bolts in it. Naturally, this concerned me. The bolts were from the upper mounts for the air deflectors on the fairing, as both of the well nuts were missing. The screws were from a couple places around the dash and fairing, apparently they didn't have time to put them all back.

I then checked over every inch of the bike. I ended up draining an extra quart  :yikes:  of oil out of the crankcase, which came out black, despite being less than 50 miles old. My suspicion is that their "experienced" mechanic changed the oil while the bike was on the kickstand, which resulted in some old oil staying in the case. They must have then poured in the 4 quarts and called it good. The final drive oil level was also a bit low, probably because the bike would be leaned toward the filler cap when on the kickstand.

I called the dealer to let them know what had happened, and the guy who answered told me that their mechanic had 25 years of experience. Experience with what, he didn't specify. Maybe the guy spent 24 years and 8 months as a fry chef at McDonalds before deciding to try his hand at being a mechanic. To their credit, they did replace the well nuts at no charge, but it was more than a month before they came in. In that time I had a several-hundred mile trip planned, so I ended up going to the hardware store and grabbing a couple short allen-head bolts to secure the fairings without the deflectors. Going in to pick up the well nuts was the last time I've set foot in there.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »
I picked up a bike once, from the yamaha shop, that had every bolt in the triple clamps finger tight. The front axle was as well.

I bougt a manual and some tools and have never taken a bike back to the shop for anything since.  The c14 might be the exception, but I hope not.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
brake disc bolts are notorious for freezing up so  I wouldnt blame the shop ,you want those bolts tight .
Buy an impact driver ,its a handy tool to have around  for just these kinds of bolts.
BTW ,nobody removes brake discs to change tires.