Author Topic: Canada Insurance rates  (Read 17461 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Canada Insurance rates
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Good catch Steve.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
Wawanesa.  I also insure about eight other vehicles with them so that may have a bearing.

I remember having a little discussion with my agent about the difference between a sport and sport/touring bike.  They don't have a clue.  They look at a picture and say it looks like a sport bike so it must be.  When I insisted they look into it they dropped the quote by $300 after a couple of days.  They tried this with my daughter also.  She rides a standard with a fairing (GS500).

Being in my forties with a clean record for the last twenty years might also have a bearing.

By the way, our dollars have been at or near par for the last couple of years so the exchange rate shouldn't be playing into it.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline JerBear

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
I guess I need to look for a different place to hide when the fecal matter propels against the oscillating rotator  :hitfan: That is too much to pay unless you are a terrible driver.  I wonder what the rates are in Belize?

I pay about 170 bucks a year for full coverage with a $250 deductible but they rate the Connie as a Touring bike and I have a clean driving record.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
The rates in Florida are about $220 a year, full coverage.  And that includes the g-strings and warm weather
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
The rates in Florida are about $220 a year, full coverage. And that includes the g-strings and warm weather

I'm going to have to talk to my agent about adding that to my policy 8)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta and pay a total of $370 for insurance on two bikes with $1000,000 liability and no collision. As long as I'm not at fault, the other drivers insurance will pay for my bike repairs. I am assumming most motorcyclists are NOT at fault in an accident, but thats just a guess.

chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline jmd10259

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »
I just renewed mine this past September for the low low cost of $1,200.00 I was paying almost $900 for my 1800 Wing. As soon as I purchased my 09 C14, went up $300. Thank you Ontario insurance for screwing a guy with a perfect driving record lol! It's the norm in this province.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »
I'm going to have to talk to my agent about adding that to my policy 8)

:rotflmao:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
I live in BC and pay about $1600.00 per year. I thought I was getting hosed, but....
I have a decent discount because of a good driving record. If I had a couple of accidents in the last three or four years, I would be up to $2500.00 for sure. My car is at $3000.00 thanks to my daughter....
A lot of the cheap insurance in the US is because you add the bike to your umbrella insurance on your house, car, etc. Is that why it's cheaper? Liability is already paid for.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »
[I live in Ontario
62 years old.
Last ticket was in 1985, Basically an unblemished record.
I'm paying  $ 1300 a year, for full coverage.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
Yeah, good ole Canada. They get one way or the other. Fuel, insurance and high taxes. I paid $40 more this year than last, bringing it to $1012. Hate to see where it goes after I try to fight my speeding ticket. We don't have the umbrella/blanket insurance here. Wanted to insure my 85 Interceptor for the occasional ride and they wanted another $800, and for what, no full coverage because of the age. I mean I know a few people that say the hell with the insurance and take the risk, $5000 fine if caught, but if they get away with it for a few years, well then no big deal.

It's called legalized crime. We are not FREE to enjoy our bikes, we are being punished for our love.

If I recall the US went through something of a hard time with motorcycle insurance back in the late 90's early 2000's. But, the AMA fought them on it. Here they are blacklisting certain bikes, and if you find a place to insure you it costs big time. The Honda Hurricanes are on the list, and why, beats me, there are more powerful machines now. A Vmax, good luck, to much power this industry has over the people. I'd bet that 80% of the accidents are caused be cagers.

We ride, we know that we are vulnerable! If we pick up the pace a bit to put us into a safer pocket, well big brother is there to slap you with a ticket. Slow down, well you stand a good chance of getting rear ended. Either way we are screwed!

As for gas prices, our lovely C14's using premium costs me roughly $0.60 per US gallon more here than regular.

Well so much for ranting and raving! Just can't wait till winter's over so I can get rid off this pent up CRAP!
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
So is the insurance industry in Canada private  or government run?

P.S.--Painkiller, nice seat in your avatar.

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »

That differs from province to province...  In Alberta it is not, Sask and BC it is.  Not too sure about the others...
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »

In Ontario it's private, but has regulations it has to follow. But guess where the politicians came from. Banks, insurance companies and lawyer firms, go figure.

:chugbeer:
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline chap

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »

So just to clarify more. Saskatchewan Canada is a Government insurance. They charge the same rate weather you are 16 or 60. I have a clean driviing record and an 53 yrs old. So the $2,513 is for any driver. i do have a 20% reduction because of my good driving record so potentially could save $400, but I am sure they will find a way to cancel that program for bikes and charge me full rate.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline speed545

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Ok from now on i ll stop complaining.

In Quebec, i m paying 300$/year for full coverage insurance with a 100$ deductible if im in fault and also including civil responsability. You can look at all the insurance company out there to find the best rate

Theres also insurance include in our registration (plates) yearly. Thats our no fault policy meaning i cant get sued for hurting or killing somebody in an accident.

Goverment is listing bike as a sport bike or a touring bike and updating that list every year. C14 is a touring bike.

Cost for registration for a touring bike: 540$/year
Cost for registration for a sport bike: around 1100$/year

We can use our bike from march 15th to decembre 15th it s that way only because the law says that you have to put winter tire on any vehicule on the road during that period. Havent found any winter tire for my bike yet.

As for gas, i dont care, every time a go for a ride, i drive 40 minutes and cross the border in Vermont or New York

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:44:15 PM by speed545 »
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »
What the heck is civic responsibility in an insurance policy?

Offline speed545

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
What the heck is civic responsibility in an insurance policy?

any damage to others properties that is not a vehicule

for example: i m in fault in an accident that cause the crash of a semi trailer full of combustible, spilled all the content and hit two houses in his path.

Insurance will cover all damages

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline koval68

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
My renewal is in at $677.00 for 1,000,000 liability,increased accident benefits,collision,uninsured automobile,direct compensation and comprehensive. I am 44 years old, perfect driving record, live in south/central Ontario (GTA-York Region). All of our policy's are with Security National/TD-Meloche Monnex on a special rate plan for York University employees.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »

It might be more accurate to ask "Is the government in Canada run by the insurance industry in private?"

We've had insurance reviews in Alberta and the "industry" got everything they asked for with a big stamp of government approval.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09