Author Topic: GPS iPhone ? (C14 and CAR)  (Read 4035 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

GPS iPhone ? (C14 and CAR)
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
Thinking about getting an iPhone. A friend in FLA loves her iPhone and uses it as her CAR as a GPS + calls + tunes.

Anyone use an iPhone as a GPS (or more) on the C14 and is willing to comment on how it compares to a standard GPS (Garmin etc)?

Would love to be able to use an iPhone on the bike, in the car .... but hate the cost and hear the ATT service has coverage gaps compared with Verison ...

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline RBX QB

Re: GPS iPhone ? (C14 and CAR)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
Been there done that. A few things to be aware of:

1) iPhone batteries drain pretty quickly running ATT Navigator. Since the C14 has a power outlet, you can just use a car charger to solve that one.
2) ATT Navigator pulls data from the cell network to determine position. Lose coverage, lose GPS. Ask me how I know. I did see a Magellan cradle a while back at the Apple store... something like $100. Might be worth looking into, if it has it's own GPS antenna and map data storage.
3) ATT Navigator is $10 a month. I discontinue the service when I don't need it. It can be added or deleted using the ATT app.

Of course, I have no idea if Verizon has a similar app, so my experience may be of no help. I've used Navigator with my bluetooth helmet in metropolitan areas, and it's quite effective. I wouldn't want to dash mount the phone for visual directions, tho... because the iPhone gets pretty hot when it transmits and receives data that often. Again, ask me how I know. The verbal commands are pretty accurate, and the iPhone automatically mutes music when it gives directions.

So, in a pinch, an iPhone works quite well as a GPS... but nowhere near as effective as an actual GPS unit.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 06:19:37 AM »
I used my 'droid (iPhone competitior) on this trip. Mountains, deserts, seas, valleys, plains, etc. Worked great through this abuse:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2298.0
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:36:09 AM »
I just switched to Verizon and they no longer have an unlimited data plan.  I would be concerned about how much a "streaming" program would run up you data usage.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:10:45 AM »
I used my iPhone as a nav device with music and it worked well.  I bought an app called Motion X and it has an integrated mp3 player that will mute the music when instructions for upcoming turns are being spoken.  That app was cheap ($2.00 IIRC) but the voice guidance is $20 year. 

I just switched phones and got an HTC Merge (Droid) and love it.  I have the Navigon app so that there are no issues with maps that need to use data to load.  It doesn't have an integrated MP3 player so I can't figure out how to get the music to mute while directions are being spoken.  It works great other than that.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
I used my iPhone as a nav device with music and it worked well.  I bought an app called Motion X and it has an integrated mp3 player that will mute the music when instructions for upcoming turns are being spoken.  That app was cheap ($2.00 IIRC) but the voice guidance is $20 year. 

I just switched phones and got an HTC Merge (Droid) and love it.  I have the Navigon app so that there are no issues with maps that need to use data to load.  It doesn't have an integrated MP3 player so I can't figure out how to get the music to mute while directions are being spoken.  It works great other than that.

Also with the droid it will mute the music automatically when Navi has something to say  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline atilla457

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
I haven't used the iPhone version yet but I'm eyeing the Tom Tom gps app.  It is $49 and should work without cell coverage.  They used to have a deal for $39 which I missed; that's why I'm waiting.

I have their stand-alone model (3 years old) and works well.

There are other iPhone apps too.

I wouldn't go with AT&T if it requires constant cell coverage.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
I use my Iphone as a GPS in the car (no I don't have a mount for the bike.)  I do not have an add on navigator program, I just use the stock map function, and it works great.  Lose data coverage, you lose the ability to update your map but you don't lose GPS position capability.

But I don't rely on a GPS to get me everywhere I go anyway - I use it more like a map.  I study it for a bit and just drive.  Sometimes, in remote areas, it's nice to know you're on the right road when the roads aren't marked well.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
Also with the droid it will mute the music automatically when Navi has something to say  ;D

Is there a setting that I need to change?  I am still new to the Droid platform so I am still working out some of the kinks.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
Is there a setting that I need to change?  I am still new to the Droid platform so I am still working out some of the kinks.

Me too! Just got the Evo.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Steve K

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
I use my iPhone 3GS for nav and music both in my car and on the bike.  I use TomTom for nav.  Having the maps on the phone is worth the extra cost if you ever go out of cell range (which is when you need nav the most!).  The phone works great either streaming pandora or using the ipod app.  TomTom will turn down the music for the voice prompts.  Nav does eat the battery, so I use a car charger to power the phone. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »
I used my 'droid (iPhone competitior) on this trip. Mountains, deserts, seas, valleys, plains, etc. Worked great through this abuse:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2298.0

+1 Droid Pro with Google maps

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »
I have the Navigon app on my iPhone 4, I also use it for music on long trips.  Works great, I have Etymotic ear buds that block a good percentage of ambient sound so I don't have to run the volume more than 50%-75%.  I leave the iPhone in my tank bag with the charger plugged into the dash.  The Navigon voice directions fade in over the music for lane changes, turns, distance to travel etc.  I downloaded the app at home where I have wireless internet, and did not have any noticeable usage increase on my wireless bill.   The Navigon app never got lost, the maps are downloaded initially, and the gps works even when out of sight of cell towers.  The maps are more up to date than the Garmin I use in my car.  Best $35 I've spent on navigation software.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
The talk of apps has intrigued me, and I found this comparison http://www.macworld.com/article/156720/2011/01/gps.html.

It seems to have all the ones we've discussed in the thread so far. I'd think there might be a similar comparison for the Droid platform.

Hope this helps.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »
I use a Nexus S 4G (Android device) with Telenav, Navigon and Google Maps. Telenav and Navigon both cache maps on the SD, so cell service isn't required unless you start a new trip or change your way points.

Each device has it's own pros and cons. A dedicated GPS is generally easier to use, more visible and faster at locating a GPS signal than a smartphone. Also, it doesn't require any type of cell service. However, I've found that dedicated GPS' are commonly wrong or outdated. Many of time my GPS has taken me down the wrong road our on a route that impossible to pass in a vehicle. A couple of times I've ran into cities that were not even in the database (Try searching for Aloha, Oregon on a Garmin).