Author Topic: Warped rotors inexpensive solution  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
Warped rotors inexpensive solution
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
Many 2008, 2009 and 2010 Concours 14 as well as 2006-2010 ZX-14 reported warped rotors issues including mine. Some owners had success by cleaning the rotors with power tools or steel wool to remove the formed brake pad material. Others cleaned the caliper pistons and it worked. However, the majority had to replace the front rotors and pads with EBC, Galfer or even Chinese rotors. Kawasaki never issued a recall on the issue but they came up with a solution in 2012 models by providing new pads and new rotors.
The 2008, 2009 and 2010 Concours 14 as well as 2006-2010 ZX-14 have the 41080-0102-5C rotors.
The 2012-2016 Concours 14 and ZX-14R have the 41080-0570-5C rotors.
I want to confirm that they fit and they have the same 310 diameter, same bolt pattern and thickness and the only difference I see is the smaller diameter carrier which provides resistance to warping.

See the old and new disc on top of each other.

The new style rotors are on the right and the old one on the left

The new EBC rotors are about $400, the new Galfer about $500 and the new Kawasaki 41080-0570-5C about $800. However, thanks to ZX-14R aggressive riders that they total their bikes, there several used low mile rotor pairs listed on ebay for $100-$150.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Warped rotors inexpensive solution
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
The 2008, 2009 and 2010 Concours 14 as well as 2006-2010 ZX-14 have the 41080-0102-5C rotors.
The 2012-2016 Concours 14 and ZX-14R have the 41080-0570-5C rotors.

You skipped 2011....

Looking carefully at pictures of my 2011, it appears to match your left photo, the "old version".  This is consistent with your statement about the change being on 2012 and later.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
My personal opinion, on buying rotors off ebay from wrecked bikes, is simply don't do it...
It doesn't take much to flex a rotor to the point its radically out of spec, and nearly impossible to check with the nekid eye, as laying it on a flat surface, it sits on the buttons, and does not give an accurate representation of warps and damage.

Over the years I accumulated about 15 rotors for C10's, and only found 3 to be acceptable...
So you pay your money, and take your chances... most, if not all rotors sold as used have zero return allowances..

Anything off a wrecked bike on ebay, is a gamble...I prefer not to rely on hoping the parts are good...when it comes to rotors, if I had to choose.... id buy the cheap china ones before an ebay part.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
.I prefer not to rely on hoping the parts are good...when it comes to rotors, if I had to choose.... id buy the cheap china ones before an ebay part.

I probably would too
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Fairfax

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
You skipped 2011....

Looking carefully at pictures of my 2011, it appears to match your left photo, the "old version".  This is consistent with your statement about the change being on 2012 and later.

In 2011 Kawasaki did an attempt with another rotor. 41080-0564-11I See this image. It lasted only one model year.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
In 2011 Kawasaki did an attempt with another rotor. 41080-0564-11I See this image. It lasted only one model year.

Interesting!  I was only looking at the length of the area to the bobbin and the diameter without looking at the pattern.  Just to make extra sure, I had to go outside and look closer.  Sure enough, it looks like the photo you just provided... the unique 2011 version.  How strange.  I guess their attempt didn't completely solve the issue so they tried one more time.

I can't tell if the ROTOR was the same or changed or just the carrier/hub portion.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »

The face on these rotors is 38.5mm wide whereas the face of the rotors in Fairfax's other pic is 34mm. The inner portion of the face has a 4.5mm approx wider unworn area. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:30:56 PM »
The face on these rotors is 38.5mm wide whereas the face of the rotors in Fairfax's other pic is 34mm. The inner portion of the face has a 4.5mm approx wider unworn area.

You can determine that from an angled photo?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:41 AM »
Sure can.  Can't you?   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Fairfax

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
My personal opinion, on buying rotors off ebay from wrecked bikes, is simply don't do it...
It doesn't take much to flex a rotor to the point its radically out of spec, and nearly impossible to check with the nekid eye, as laying it on a flat surface, it sits on the buttons, and does not give an accurate representation of warps and damage.

Over the years I accumulated about 15 rotors for C10's, and only found 3 to be acceptable...
So you pay your money, and take your chances... most, if not all rotors sold as used have zero return allowances..

Anything off a wrecked bike on eBay, is a gamble...I prefer not to rely on hoping the parts are good...when it comes to rotors, if I had to choose.... id buy the cheap china ones before an eBay part.

You have a good point here about buying used rotors. It is a gamble! To minimize risk I checked seller's positive feedback, return policy, the word "STRAIGHT" and a measurement in mm in the description. So if the rotors were not good I could return them and I would not lose any money for parts but I would lose my labor time. 

Now between NEW Chinese rotors and USED Kawasaki OEM 12-16 rotors, I would prefer the design and manufacturing quality of Kawasaki. It is my personal preference, but for example who wouldn't buy a USED Kawasaki motorcycle over a NEW Chinese motorcycle? :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »

After doing some front brake inspections (and some owner interviews) on many of the C14s in the parking lot at the 2014 COG National, I noticed that some '11s and other years
that had warranty replacements had this type. When I returned home I spent way too much time going through online parts fiche trying to determine if Kawasaki was simply
installing C14 rotors on Versys (650) carriers and calling it a new part number. The newer Versys 1000 rotor assembly looks identical (to my eye) as the '11 C14 variant.
 I never could determine anything, but the thought persists in my head for some strange and certainly not very important reason.  :-\ ::)  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
You have a good point here about buying used rotors. It is a gamble! To minimize risk I checked seller's positive feedback, return policy, the word "STRAIGHT" and a measurement in mm in the description. So if the rotors were not good I could return them and I would not lose any money for parts but I would lose my labor time. 

Now between NEW Chinese rotors and USED Kawasaki OEM 12-16 rotors, I would prefer the design and manufacturing quality of Kawasaki. It is my personal preference, but for example who wouldn't buy a USED Kawasaki motorcycle over a NEW Chinese motorcycle? :)

I would buy new Chinese vs used/new Kawasaki rotors.  For one, Kwackers hasn't impressed me on them and most years still warp for no apparent reason.  Two, I really haven't heard anything negative on the Chinese variants.  I would NEVER EVER buy a used brake rotor from any source.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Diablo6v

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
OMG!!! A used brake rotor could cause complete motorbike failure. Lock up your wheels at speed and throw you. I have purchased and used several, yes, several used rotors from Ebay for my ex C-10. I bought another set from a COG member. The rotors on my C-14 are Kawasaki replacements from the PO. You can always check the thickness with some calipers. For that price you can always send  them back. I try not to support Communist China with my cash..

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:31:32 PM »
has anybody an idea of where the Kawa OEM discs are produced?
Any guess?

I don't, but I do know where 3 European brands (1 German and 2 Italians) get their discs from...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 01:23:13 AM »
I don't, but I do know where 3 European brands (1 German and 2 Italians) get their discs from...

Please share brand, part number and origin...inquiring minds want to know.
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.