Author Topic: 2010 windscreen experiment  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Jim H

2010 windscreen experiment
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
   Was wondering if anyone actually mimicked the Cali Sci cut out on the stock 2010 up screens?  I have been trying different screens from the CB ultra tour domed to the AeroFlow, and the medium versions of these as well.  The medium Cali sci and CB both are better then the stock but at the full up position.   No matter what I have tried with the stock screen so far I can not get past the roar it creates. So getting ready to cut, taped the screen and used the Cali Sci as a template......but waiting to see if anyone had tried 1st.  Wish I could try the small shields but will have to try something in the meantime. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: 2010 windscreen experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Knew a gentleman years ago (Dave) who poked several holes along the bottom of his windshield to relieve the back- pressure and said it was very successful. As I remember, there were six, one- inch holes in the 'shield.

The cutout in the CalSci really does work very well. I do not think there is really much in the way of aerodynamics going on there, just a sufficiently large hole to let sufficient airflow through the windshield at a point above the instrument panel so the airflow is relatively unblocked.

Brian

Was wondering if anyone actually mimicked the Cali Sci cut out on the stock 2010 up screens?  I have been trying different screens from the CB ultra tour domed to the AeroFlow, and the medium versions of these as well.  The medium Cali sci and CB both are better then the stock but at the full up position.   No matter what I have tried with the stock screen so far I can not get past the roar it creates. So getting ready to cut, taped the screen and used the Cali Sci as a template......but waiting to see if anyone had tried 1st.  Wish I could try the small shields but will have to try something in the meantime.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:06 AM »
   Was wondering if anyone actually mimicked the Cali Sci cut out on the stock 2010 up screens? 

Yes I have. If it's back pressure that is your problem (in the raised position) then this helps, but for me it did not eliminate it. The CalSci medium also did about
the same for me, maybe not quite as good as just cutting the hole in the stock '10. If buffeting is the problem then I have no input as I have not experienced
what I would call buffeting except in strong cross winds.

From my two experiments with cutting the stock windshield I prefer this one (seen below) where I cut a large round hole or cutout extension at the bottom of the shield.
Still not there for totally eliminating back pressure in the raised position but the best I've encountered so far.

This is the only photo I have of the preferred (IMO) stock screen cut out, click on it and then again for the full size. My bike is the one on the right in the photo. (and yes I'm aware that it's past time to flush the brake fluid.  :P )

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:10 AM »
Looks like Kawi is putting a vent on the new 2015 C14. I wonder if theirs work better.

BTW: nice pic of Devils Tower. I have an almost identical pic of my C14 in front of it.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:11 AM »
Looks like Kawi is putting a vent on the new 2015 C14. I wonder if theirs work better.

Looks like it would work much better. I hope it's backward compatible.
Nice to see they did something besides partially copy ZG's former paint scheme.

BTW: nice pic of Devils Tower. I have an almost identical pic of my C14 in front of it.

Thanks.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
Nice to see they did something besides partially copy ZG's former paint scheme.

Thanks.

Wondering the same. Looks like it. In fact would want to buy just the louver overlay. Cut a hole on my CB and use it on that.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
The hole pattern for mounting looks wrong to me.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »
The hole pattern for mounting looks wrong to me.

I know the top 2 look like they are moved inward toward one another but I think that is just an optical illusion based on the lines of the cover piece.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
I know the top 2 look like they are moved inward toward one another but I think that is just an optical illusion based on the lines of the cover piece.

I agree, however I have a rather long medical history of warped vision caused by rose colored high hopes and wishful thinking.  :-[

Offline Jim H

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
  I ended up cutting the stock screen to mimic the Cali Sci hole.  So we can dub it the Kawi Sci!  LOL  Anyway,  I found that it was
the same until just about all the way up and magically it quieted down quite a bit.  Not perfect but much better then it was.  I also tried a short ride with no screen and the noise was all just normal wind,  now low tones at all....so, do I shorten the stock next????? HMMMMMM 
   I did see the new screen....seems like Kawi does listen to customers!  Will be interesting to see if it is indeed better and if it will fit our bikes as well!   

Jim

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »

One would think it would be compatible.  However, when I look at the two mounting screws, they appear to be in a slightly different position.  Hmm... guess we will have to continue to speculate for a while.

I think the vent is pretty damn ugly, but it looks like it would be very functional, and I think I would want it, anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
One would think it would be compatible.  However, when I look at the two mounting screws, they appear to be in a slightly different position.  Hmm... guess we will have to continue to speculate for a while.

I think the vent is pretty damn ugly, but it looks like it would be very functional, and I think I would want it, anyway.

The slant of the lines on the bracket make it look that way. But I'm betting its the same holes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
The slant of the lines on the bracket make it look that way. But I'm betting its the same holes.

It very well might be (and probably is).  It is hard to tell.  It would seem like a really stupid move to change the mounting, but I have seen companies do lots of seemingly stupid things before....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TEXREX02

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »

Agreed.  I find it highly unlikely mama Kaw would spend money retooling the windshield brackets when all of the other changes are purely cosmetic.  I'm 6' 4" and I have no problems with the stock windshield on my 2010.  The vent would be a nice improvement for riding in the Central Texas heat.
'02 ZRX
'10 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
With Kaw pricing a 2014 stock windshield at $260 I rather doubt if the new vented model would be in my price range.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

Not to derail this thread, but what kind of drop protection is on the front fairing of your bike? Looks like the rubber wings from an ST1300.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
Not to derail this thread, but what kind of drop protection is on the front fairing of your bike? Looks like the rubber wings from an ST1300.

That is interesting... I don't recall seeing ones like that before...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Oh yea. I had to blow up the pic to see it but it does look like its off an ST1300.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
It looks like top block set up. I think ZG has had them before.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=26692.0
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
It looks like top block set up. I think ZG has had them before.

No, it doesn't look like the Top Blocs product.  It is something else.