Author Topic: Hydrolock prevention:  (Read 10366 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Hydrolock prevention:
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
There is an OFF position. If it is OFF, no fuel can flow, therefore no hydro.
Well DUH!  Of course OFF is OFF. I do not disagree with that.  Maybe you are assuming that I am comparing a manual petcock to  a defective automatic. I am comparing a properly maintained ,working automatic petcock to a manual.
Now, we all know it only take a few seconds of fuel flow and a leaky float valve to potentially cause a hydro lock.  Remember only  a FEW seconds is enough to fill a cylinder.
Ok , so you and I have  a leaky float valve, I get only my bike, set the choke , turn on the key start the bike and then fuel flows and I wonder why the bike is billowing white smoke. This is exactly what has happened to me in the past  before I got over flow tubes. No hydro lock but it runs like crap.

OK now you get on your bike, turn on the fuel flow, set your choke, pick your nose and scratch your ass and start the bike. You just hydro locked your engine. Why? Because every time you turn on that petcock to start the engine, stop for  2 seconds for gas, or shut the engine off, anything, you are always flowing fuel when I am not.  Do you understand now. There is no possible way you are  you faster at turning OFF  and ON the fuel flow then an automatic petcock is. Only a few seconds is all it takes and even though  you are perfect at remembering to turn off the fuel when you stop for a soda, stop for gas or even stall  the engine  you are still flowing fuel when an auto is not.

Manual will not help, it makes it  worse. It has absolutely gives no insurance against hydro lock.
The ONLY insurance against hydro lock is over flow tubes.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle