Author Topic: Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model  (Read 8960 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
Interesting. It appears to me that the small groove in the edge of the larger gear's teeth is nothing but a nick that happened during manufacture. The gear teeth themselves look great and the hobbing marks (gear machining method) are still very clear indicating little to no wear.

The smaller gear is apparently showing a decidedly odd pattern though and it extends all the way to the gear teeth tips. Nothing should ever touch the teeth that far out.

Thanks for taking and posting the photos and posting the results of the transmission re-work. The best of luck with the bike from now on- hopefully the mechanic(s) just got a little sloppy with fairing reassembly but buttoned the engine cases together properly.

Brian

Update : got the bike back

- 2nd and 6th gears were changed. Gears were wearing out, causing freeplay which led to the noise.

<snip>

- Please check the attached pictures. one of the gears you can see where metal is chipping off and its formed a kind of groove. In the longer run it would have broken.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JeffM

Re: Rattling noise in 2nd gear, 2010 model
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Jaz,

Please let us know what dealership you went to for the work. I don't want to come within 100 miles of that place.

Thanks very much!