Author Topic: Damn Deer!  (Read 2790 times)

Offline CoffeeRider

Damn Deer!
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
Tonight on my 16 mile ride home from work (during daylight) I had TWO close deer encounters. The first one I was in a 45 mile an hour zone and kinda saw the deer on the right side walking toward the road. I slowed down and honked my horn which scared it back without incident. About 9 miles later I was in a 55 mph zone with some light traffic when a deer ran into the road from the left side and I hit the brakes hard and my rear was in a slide to the right. I just brushed past it's rear end and let off of the brakes so that I could regain control and managed to keep her upright and on course. My heart was pounding and I think I soiled my pants but I did make it home safe. I think I will just hang it up for a little while and count my blessings as I rebuild my courage!
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Damn Deer!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:14 AM »
Deer SUCK!!!!  Im glad you made it safe.  They most certainly can raise the pulse rate.
About two years ago I was headed to work on my C-10 (5am) I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. DEEEEER......the nose of the doe hit my right hand mirror and folded it over.  That was scary  :yikes: :yikes:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
I was riding on my Suzuki DR650 the other day when a large mama black bear with 2 cubs crossed the road right in front of me. It wasn't a close thing at all but I came to a full stop none the less. The traffic behind me didn't seem to understand why the full stop and why I didn't just go around. One SUV went around me and passed the bears while they were still on the side of the road. A mama bear with cubs and I don't have a cage around me. I let them get well into the woods on the other side of the road before proceeding.

Offline marcusorelius

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
OSLO (Reuters) - A Norwegian driver who swerved his car on a rural road to avoid running into a moose hit a bear instead, authorities said on Thursday.

The driver spotted the moose on a country road near Hanestad, 225 kilometers north of Oslo, around midnight on Wednesday, and tried to go around the animal, not realizing that a bear was also nearby.

"The driver had lost a bit of speed as he tried to avoid the moose before hitting the bear," said Svein Erik Bjorke of the local wildlife authority, who was out in the forest searching for the wounded animal.

"We are currently tracking the bear and we have found traces of blood indicating internal injuries," he said.

The driver escaped uninjured while his car suffered some damage.

Offline red44

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
My brother slid into a group of them in northern NJ on his Fat Boy a few years back. He walked away limping but lucky and a few K in the hole .   :nuts:He did'nt even get one. He is no hunter.
I am. I have'nt bought meat in quite a while. Road kills are free, arrows and slugs are'nt much if you practice.
They taste pretty darn good. Nothing better than a big roasting pan filled with venison/taters/onions/carrots/and Golden Mushroom Soup from Campbells, 350f for 3 hours with tin foil down over everything sealing everything off. LOL, not that I've done it much..
 Take up arms against them! Bow or gun. Do your part. Reduce the danger.  :)
 Glad you made it Tony.

Offline red44

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
To clarify, I avoid them at all cost costs when in/on a vehicle. too much $$ if you don't. but there ARE other ways.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:33:44 AM »
A couple friends of mine........and myself of course are going to do an Iron Butt ride around Lake Michigan. A midnight departure time is scheduled for September 22nd. After reading threads like this I'm starting to get a little nervous.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »
Make that a lot nervious.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!