Author Topic: Mod: ROTOPAX tank to luggage rack.. $40-50? NAH!  (Read 4235 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Mod: ROTOPAX tank to luggage rack.. $40-50? NAH!
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
Refused to pay $40-50 for the "plate" to mount my rotopax spare fuel tank onto the wolfman ADV luggage rack. This project went "KLR on the cheap"  style 

Instead I got $16 worth of parts/nuts/bolts and fab'd my own.

I usually shop Target, but Teressa finds this cutting board at the Wal-mart store

So under the knife it goes.....  and the cut off pieces fall right into the recycle bin. Not that I'm all green like that....

Couple of dollars worth of Ace Hardware bolts and these weird rubberized straps that allowed us to bolt a flat object to a tube and we're there.

Added the part of the rotopax tank that gets mounted to a plate.  Then I added some padding strips for no other reason than piece of mind.  Plus i like it because the rotopax/wolfman plate didn't have such

Now I'm ready to throw over  the wolfman soft panniers on and roll.  With 50-60 miles, 1 gallon more gasoline for the desert (in addition to the KLR's already 6.1)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:40:24 PM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

Re: Mod: ROTOPAX tank to luggage rack.. $40-50? NAH!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
Looks nice!!

So, whatcha doin for a kitchen on this ADV trip?  I have the Bio stove you posted up a while a go, even got the grill attachment which works great, but without the heat is overwhelming, great for boiling water but cooking fresh foods is a challenge and the grill is just too much to pack on the bike for longer trips.  Why did I go into it this much?  Seems you just took up a spot for a pannier and added another 10ish pounds, when in all reality the added fuel probably will never be needed.  On my COBDR trip I hauled the extra fuel, never needed it and boy, a ten pound diet woulda been nice.  I have 2 MSR fuel bottles for the multi fuel stove, takes up as much room as the bio stove and doubles as aw **** gas....  The bio stove and grill has been relegated to car camping :)  Getting a hitch installed on the Jetta, pull the 800 wherever and explore from that point, keeping mama happy is indeed paramount 8)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:15:28 PM »
Looks nice!!

So, whatcha doin for a kitchen on this ADV trip?  I have the Bio stove you posted up a while a go, even got the grill attachment which works great, but without the heat is overwhelming, great for boiling water but cooking fresh foods is a challenge and the grill is just too much to pack on the bike for longer trips.  Why did I go into it this much?  Seems you just took up a spot for a pannier and added another 10ish pounds, when in all reality the added fuel probably will never be needed.  On my COBDR trip I hauled the extra fuel, never needed it and boy, a ten pound diet woulda been nice.  I have 2 MSR fuel bottles for the multi fuel stove, takes up as much room as the bio stove and doubles as aw **** gas....  The bio stove and grill has been relegated to car camping :)  Getting a hitch installed on the Jetta, pull the 800 wherever and explore from that point, keeping mama happy is indeed paramount 8)

You know of all those stoves I was looking at I ended up with a jetboil!  I'll still have panniers (wolfman soft or drybags) on each side of the bike.  I think those racks can accomdate more weight than about any bike swingarm could support anyway.  And once I get deep in the desert with the KLR's 6 gallon tank I'll probably only fill about half gallon.  And thats a sip for you other brand riders that run out!  You should join us on this ride at death valley in October
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »
I wish I could, Oct I will be at Ft Campbell for 12 days.  I am doing the WABDR this week with Touratech, first half with them and then Saturday eve I will be doing some night riding with the guy from Cyclops and Alex from Konflict Motorsports.  Wanna put the LEDs to the test ;D  For some reason the wife thinks I have spent too much time riding this year ;D  2 ADV Camps, COBDR, Rally in the Gorge, Touratech Rally, and the Hoh Rainforest Rally.  I also have Shane Watts Dirtwise Academy next week 8)  Not sure what she means by too much :-\

What plans do you have for a load test?  I'd suggest loading her as heavy as you can and find some sand to ride in.

Last bit, I don't remember if you had the .22 cent mod done yet, if not, it is a must do, the differance will flat out amaze you, really gives you the low down torque.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
I wish I could, Oct I will be at Ft Campbell for 12 days.  I am doing the WABDR this week with Touratech, first half with them and then Saturday eve I will be doing some night riding with the guy from Cyclops and Alex from Konflict Motorsports.  Wanna put the LEDs to the test ;D  For some reason the wife thinks I have spent too much time riding this year ;D  2 ADV Camps, COBDR, Rally in the Gorge, Touratech Rally, and the Hoh Rainforest Rally.  I also have Shane Watts Dirtwise Academy next week 8)  Not sure what she means by too much :-\

What plans do you have for a load test?  I'd suggest loading her as heavy as you can and find some sand to ride in.

Last bit, I don't remember if you had the .22 cent mod done yet, if not, it is a must do, the differance will flat out amaze you, really gives you the low down torque.

Enjoy the riding and night riding! Changed my subframe to grade 8 bolts, haven't done the .22 cent mod yet.  Hope I can do it or if I run short of time drop if off with Steve the C10 carb expert and have it done. Oh it'll get a "load test" before I leave I promise!  Although my camping stuff and weight will probably be off the bike and set up when we're in the desert.