Author Topic: Carb. Issues  (Read 2617 times)

Offline JDM

Carb. Issues
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:10 PM »
Has anyone had issues with the carb.  jetting on Connie after they had the headers ceramic coated.?  any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks JD
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline throb

Re: Carb. Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
  The main purpose to the coating is to keep the heat inside the header pipes and reduce thermal fatigue.  On a 90-ish hp motor like Connie's, I doubt it would have miniscule effects on jetting, if any.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
Has anyone had issues with the carb.  jetting on Connie after they had the headers ceramic coated.?  any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks JD

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a question for you.  How much was the ceramic coating for the header and did you do the inside as well as outside?  Thanks

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
I do not see how coated headers could effect carb jetting.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline JDM

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a question for you.  How much was the ceramic coating for the header and did you do the inside as well as outside?  Thanks

I haven't done it yet. Got a quote of $200 for inside and out.  The tech said with their coating I would get a 300 deg. drop in ambient temp.  HTH JD  PS Mike it has been my experience that when you restrict the exhaust you enrich the fuel mixture, and I do not want to get in to re-jetting the carbs.  It is expensive and time consuming.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
Just how thick do you thing this coating is?
it will not "restrict" the exhaust in any way.....it's barely a couple thousandths of an inch thick. ;D

I don't think your temp drop is gonna be a 300* ambient change either, I think he means the surface of the pipe, and it ain't dropping 300 degrees..... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JDM

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Mob have you ran a set of headers that have been ceramic coated?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
Mob have you ran a set of headers that have been ceramic coated?
YES
not on the Concours, but on other bikes. It will make zero difference on the jetting needs of the Conni.
I have also seen a few different companies coatings, which are all essentially the same.
You will see a major reduction in heat inside the fairing, but it's relative, and I would say a good way to describe it is "perceived airflow temps" will be about 30 to 50% less than what you feel from untreated headers.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JDM

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Thanks MOB, that the kind of info I need.  Jd