Author Topic: USMC Tribute bike. FINISHED!  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Mikey063

USMC Tribute bike. FINISHED!
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
    Hello all, I am not much on posting but I thought I would share my latest endeavor.  I have owned my 95' Connie since 1999, and the paint job was looking shabby and chipped, so when I was talking about this to a friend of mine, he told me that he would paint the entire bike.  I have decided to make it a tribute to my fellow service members.  The entire bike will be various images all relating to the U.S. Marines.  It will encompass my time as a SAR swimmer and a crew chief.

The paint scheme will be similar to this https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qob9SXwVPSGnufh8Eni_u0ofYvhEwCbVWsi05eed5gw?feat=directlink  This is a helmet with the same paint scheme I will have on my bike.

Here is my gas tank early on in the painting.  https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DdYYzHf5L2N2HwRJjqb-uEofYvhEwCbVWsi05eed5gw?feat=directlink  It is black and white imagery now. When he shoots the candy coat red over the top of the black metalflake and the images the whols thing will look like the images are comming out of the metal in deep cherry burgandy red.

I have also been fortunate to find a fellow COGer who has been more than generous in offering to powder coat my exhaust.  I should have the bike back together around the first week of August.  While the bike is being painted, I am also doing a complete tune up/replacing front fork seals/changing all fluids/Replacing spark plugs, and getting a new back tire.   

I will of course post new photos or videos of the painting progress.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:34:30 PM by Mikey063 »

Offline Tele130

Re: USMC Tribute bike.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
That's goina be fantastic. Being retired Air Force I wanted to do something similar to my '06.  Just can't drop that kind of coin right now.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Very sweet!!!!!
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
I am very excited about this paint job.  He is also going to paint the bags.  He told me that it took 10 hours get the tank just right.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »
I'm a bit of an aircraft buff, so in that vein, I have this tank pad on my '06:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/39872-orbital-1256-shop-other-orbital-tank-pads-universal-usa-black-red-white-blue

And these stickers on my side covers (one on each side of course), w/o the Lethal Threat logos.

http://www.streetflame.com/bomber-girl-decals-sheets-p-452.html

Not as cool as an awesome paint job, but it gets the job done!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
You would like my friend.  He does a lot of paint work for aircraft.  Active duty planes and vintage aircraft.

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
Update on my recent maintenance of my bike.  I relocated my coolant bottle to behind my battery, and after I was marveling on how well I did in not breaking anything, well almost anything I did break the damper knob somehow when I changed my rear fork oil.  I also took a few pics,  the one thing I was trying to figure out is where the heck does a few wires I found go to.  I will post it.

Wires where do they go?

LED Lights

Coolant bottle relocated

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
  Updated videos of fuel tank and front fender.  These are almost done.  Take a look.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Id6yqy-DbwYb8hck52T41EofYvhEwCbVWsi05eed5gw?feat=directlink

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
Damn that's looking sharp.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:51:43 PM »
Damn that's looking sharp.

Thanks.  I bet that the mufflers will look just as good, if not better when there done.  Those will complete the bike transformation.   8)   

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
  Update.  I have received the fuel tank and the front fender.  I will wait for the rest of the parts to be painted then they are off for clear coat.  That should happen by the end of next week. 

On a side note.  I looked at my fuel line and vacuum line and both look a bit rough.  What is the best method in replacing them?  Should I go to my local auto parts store and purchase some hoses from them?  Plus I would like to make sure there is nothing in my fuel tank, so what is the best solvent to use in flushing it prior to install?  Thanks again. 

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
One stop shopping right here.  Murph will be come your best friend (and your worst lol)
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/ He has the best fuel line.  As long as you have your tank off now would be a good time to treat it.  POR-15 (I think is the only way to not get rust in your tank.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »
One stop shopping right here.  Murph will be come your best friend (and your worst lol)
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/ He has the best fuel line.  As long as you have your tank off now would be a good time to treat it.  POR-15 (I think is the only way to not get rust in your tank.

Why thank you kind sir.  I shall do just that.  Recently I have been purchasing quite a few items from him.  I will also get POR-15.  I will see if my local auto supply place might have it.  Thanks again.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
There is another type of tank treatment that lots of folks use, but its name escapes me at the moment.
2002 Conc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
There is another type of tank treatment that lots of folks use, but its name escapes me at the moment.

KBS coatings ... http://www.kbs-coatings.com/large-cycle-tank-sealer-kit.html

Worked good in my Turbo's tank and my C10.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

Current work on the front fairing and the 2 side fairings.  We will be putting a MIA bracelet on the front of the bike.  We are deciding the best way to attach it.  It will be right above the headlight.  Most likely we will attach it with rivets.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:24:11 PM by Mikey063 »

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »

Current work on the front fairing and the 2 side fairings.  We will be putting a MIA bracelet on the front of the bike.  We are deciding the best way to attach it.  It will be right above the headlight.  Most likely we will attach it with rivets.

Oh boy do I have a surprise in store for you  :-X :-X
2002 Conc

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
Oh boy do I have a surprise in store for you  :-X :-X

:hail: :hail: :hail:

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
Very nice work so far!

If you are bored, you could always go with an ammo case-ish look for the sidebags or something, obviously in complimentary colors and such to the rest of the work you've done to this point.  Could also be overkill though, I'm sure your artistic skills will come up with the right balance for your bike.

Again, very nice work!
 :hail:
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Very nice work so far!

If you are bored, you could always go with an ammo case-ish look for the sidebags or something, obviously in complimentary colors and such to the rest of the work you've done to this point.  Could also be overkill though, I'm sure your artistic skills will come up with the right balance for your bike.

Again, very nice work!
 :hail:

For the bags, we are putting the POW/MIA logo on one and the other will be a dedication to my wife's uncle who's bracelet will adorn the front of the bike.  ammo case idea was thought of, but it seemed a bit too much to do lol.  Good idea though.