Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > Suspension

Need help with suspension settings.

(1/6) > >>

rtarp1:
2011 c14
  i want to adjust my suspension for sport riding , does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks
bob

jimmymac:
Stiffer is better than soft for sport riding. There's an art for setting a bike up perfect, and I'm not an expert by any means. I would stiffen up the preload and rebound front and rear.
Make one adjustment at a time, between rides. That way you know what you did  to make it that way.

PH14:

--- Quote from: jimmymac on October 03, 2011, 08:40:54 AM ---Stiffer is better than soft for sport riding. There's an art for setting a bike up perfect, and I'm not an expert by any means. I would stiffen up the preload and rebound front and rear.
Make one adjustment at a time, between rides. That way you know what you did  to make it that way.

--- End quote ---

Stiffer is better up to a point. If the suspension is set too stiff, the tire will not stay planted on the road. The suspension needs to remain compliant enough to allow it to follow surface irregularities and keep the tire firmly planted. There are articles out there on how to set the sag and dampening.

jayke:
Probally more than you want to know:

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Set sag (preload) first, then work on the rest.

rcannon409:
The stock suspension on the c14 is set up very soft for "sport riding"   My favorite canyon settings, for now, are a s follows.  I weigh 180 lbs in my mind (and bench press 345) , but the damn, lying scale says 205....weight and press.
Anyway, my last adventure was set up a \s follows.

Front..Preload with three rings showing.  Rebound damping set at three clicks out from fully bottomed.

Rear....preload all the way in, then three clicks out. Reb damn 1/4 turn out from fully bottomed.

This is a drastic change from stock, but from here its easy to fine tune for your weight and conditions.  Trying to adjust oen click at  a time at each end is difficult, if not impossible.  Sort of like dialing in a rifle scope for  a 1000 yard shot.  One click is hard to fee or notice, 10 not so tough.

These settings are stiff on a regular road, but control is amazing.

Here is where the aftermarket shocks have it all over oem. You can set these stiff and controlled, yet they remain much more compliant and controlled. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version