Author Topic: CalSci Large  (Read 7843 times)

Offline jimbob_sf

Re: CalSci Large
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
Get this.  I had 2 CB and 2 CalSci.  The last was the tallest CS made.  I could get wind buffeting reduced, but i always had some.  I also started to get really bad back aches.

I got a Shoei RF-1100 helmet 2 weeks ago and went on a weekend trip.  I was curious just how much quieter the helmet was over the RF-1000 I had, so i lowered the screen and stood up.  OH MY GOD.  With my head in clean air, i had zero buffeting and my ears have never heard less noise on a motorcycle.

For me, the buffeting was killing my ears.  The least buffeting i could get needed the screen fairly high and that caused a backdraft on my head.  So, for years I've been riding around with the wind pushing my head forward and causing bad back problems.  After a trip to LA, I couldn't ride for months because I pissed my back off so much.

I realize this is a very personal problem, but wanted to share the sacrilegious concept that a tall screen isn't necessarily a good thing.

I put on the stock shield and haven't looked back.  I live in San Francisco, so i never see really cold air and when I do, have lots of cold gear.  I've got an Ohlins shock, Ohlins spring and gold valves in the fork, Corbin saddle, lowered pegs and the very rare handlebar extenders Phil in Texas made.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:27:29 PM by jimbob_sf »

Offline RBX QB

Re: CalSci Large
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
+1 on helmet choice... Noticed that same thing with my HJC FS15. On my Ducati, smooth as silk, and quiet. On the Connie, a lot more noise and buffeting. I tend to ride with the screen down to keep the helmet in clean air as much as possible.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD