Author Topic: New Tire Report (Was Tire recommendations )  (Read 9215 times)

Offline kzz1king

New Tire Report (Was Tire recommendations )
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
I had the following tires on. I went with the  Avon Storm Ultra II on the front in the 110/80/18 size and the Venom on the rear. Have not a lot of miles yet but the bike feels like it lost a couple hundred pounds. The steering is so much lighter and the dreaded deceleration shimmy is gone. Not sure what contributes the most, the new tires or the proper size front. So far so good. Thanks for the help in making my choice.
Wayne

I have an 86 with  ME 880's front and rear. The current front is 110/90.  I think 100/90 is the correct size? I have over 14000 on the front with a bit left and close to 13000 on the rear. It isn't bald but I am done with it. Should I stick with the larger or would I be better going to the 100 out front? I am putting the 880 Metzlers back on.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:05:31 PM by kzz1king »
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline DaveO430

Re: Front tire question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
The manual shows a 110/80 as OE.
These things must be easy on tires, hardly anyone get that many miles on a set of "normal" tires on a goldwing.

I did miss type a 90 instead of 80, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:52:49 PM by DaveO430 »

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
These things must be easy on tires, hardly anyone get that many miles on a set of "normal" tires.
That is because they a slicker than snot on grease and are made mostly of plastic, not rubber.
They are not to be called 'normal tires'. Most who know what these are just call them 'scary'.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:53:06 AM »
I didnt know they were that bad Mike. I have locked the back one up in rain and a panic stop once. Not sure if a sticky tire would have done it. I dont ride interstate much but we don't have a lot of curves in ND. What is a good alternative between super sticky and these plastic tires?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:28 AM »
The CORRECT size for the front is a 110/80-18 not a 100/90 or a 110/90

If you can find the correct size 110/80-18 that is what I would use on the older model bikes as well as the newer bikes as the 110/80 is a good fit to either size front rim. I do not like the 90 profile as that makes for a tall tire that will slow down the steering response and make the Concours handle more piggish than the proper tire.

As to the ME880's while I've never rode them I've read that they are a very long lasting tire but they can be very cold blooded and not the most confidence inspiring tire out there.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
Thank you TCro. I am going to find the proper tire size and will probably have to go with something else. There were so many tire threads on the old site but I didn't need tires then!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Tire recommendations
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
Tony is correct about the 80 profile handling  better then the 90 profile. I run Avon Ultra Storm2's. These   modern radial  tires grip very well and  currently get  better mileage  over older versions with these new dual compound (harder in the middle) type tires. PR3 is supposed to be another good choice of tire and there are others.  There is no such thing as a high rubber content  tire which grips well in wet and dry, corners well and also lasts for many miles. You cannot have both, however manufactures are trying to do just that with dual compound tires.  The higher the plastic content  in a tire results less grip, a lower the speed rating (they melt) and higher mileage. Conversely  the higher the rubber content, the better the grip-well you know what  I mean.
The issue  kzz1king is our  stock 16 inch rear wheel. You are limited in what is now available. PR3 and Storm2 are not available for the rear 16 inch rim. This is why many of us choose the Mean Streak rear rim upgrade (or have the real wheel cut and welded up to a 17 inch rim).
You stock rear rim guys can  still buy the Avon Azzaro's . The mileage is not that good but  it grips well in wet and dry and is a safe tire. When I say safe, I am referring to my lack of motorcycle riding expertize  so I have to make up for that with superior braking and handling upgrades to compensate for my short comings. The end result for is more confidence and a greater fun factor.
Others are quite happy with tires that have much less  grip because they do not use the bike anywhere near its capabilities. Just beware that the day will come that you  may get rained on , or may have to take that unexpected  tight corner or have to stop fast and that is where a slick slippery high mileage  tire like the 880 will really let you down. To me it is not worth the savings. The lack of confidence and complete loss of the fun factor when riding is just not worth it. When  I had that tire on the back  it was darn right squirrely in the corners  and I could break it loose with heavy throttle and that was on perfectly clean dry surfaces. On wet I had  zero traction.. I gave the tire away asap with only a few hundred miles on it.  It all breaks down to how you drive and the risks you want to take. There have been other posters here that crashed their bike because they could not  make it  around  a corner  going slow in wet weather. Do not be one of those please. Ride safe and put good tires on your bike, do not install the highest mileage tire or the cheapest tire you can find.
kzz1king  I do not have a perfect answer for you. You have  some decisions to make. Just do not use those 880's They really do suck.
Thanks for listening.  This is my opinion. Many more shall follow.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Spend the dollars, buy better tires, ride longer safer, that is my suggestion....

Dan

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
Thanks Mike, that is the kind of info I need.  I do not do or have twisties in our area but I ride a lot in wet, windy conditions and like all of us am exposed to idiots on the road. I had a guy pull in front of me last summer while I was accelerating to pass. It was raining and I had to brake hard not to bite his bumper. The rear end locked up and I was doing a nice drift. All turned out well but now you have me thinking that different rubber may have produced a better, cleaner shorts, outcome.

Still open to suggestions! Thanks.
Wayne

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline medicevans

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
This thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1068.0
Readers Digest version:

Avon Storm Ultra II on the front in the 110/80/18 size along with a Avon Azaro 150/80/16 on the rear will give you a great handling bike with about 6-8k miles on the rear.  Apparently it's a good as the Conc will ever handle.

Avon Storm on the front and fit an Avon Venom bias ply on the rear will give you a slightly slower steering rear but more miles. Still a good combo.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »
Okay, I am going to try the Avons. Is this the right one for the rear? It does not say Azaro but it do
does on other sites.
http://www.bikebandit.com/avon-av46-motorcycle-tire?b=44489
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline medicevans

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
Yes the av45 and av46 are Avon Azaros. Shop around a bit, someone may have them cheaper than bikebandit.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »
One place I like is SWmoto tires. I  it is still free shipping and no tax (depending where you live)and  even though they are on the opposite side of the USA I get them in one day
Avon STORM 2 110/80R18 SPORT FRT
AVON AV46 150/80R16 AZARO ST Rear
You really are going to like these tires.

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:26:53 AM »
Okay, I am going to try the Avons. Is this the right one for the rear? It does not say Azaro but it do
does on other sites.
http://www.bikebandit.com/avon-av46-motorcycle-tire?b=44489

I still agree that the Azaro is the best 16" tire for the C-10. Some of us are lucky if we get past 4k miles though  :( , so don't be surprised if you don't get the mileage you expect.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
A tire life of 4,000 miles? Ouch. 8 I could live with but not 4,000. How does the Venom do mileage wise?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:22:11 AM »
A tire life of 4,000 miles? Ouch. 8 I could live with but not 4,000. How does the Venom do mileage wise?

Much much better.... It is a bias ply tire but will mix quite well with the radial Avon. I'm not 100 % sure right now but I also think that it can be had in the 150/80-16 size as well as the plus-size 160/80-16 size. Another good lower cost bias ply Avon tire that will give you real good service will be the Road-Riders.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »
4,000 is a little low. Normally I used to get over 6k out of  that rear tire but  that is because it is flat here in Florida and I am heavy on the throttle off the line. Most normal drivers will get 6 to 8. Maybe you might want to try it to you see for yourself  what a good tire feels like and then you have something to compare to.
Read the reviews. the guy at the bottom has 4k on his tires.
http://www.streetbikereview.com/sbr_reviews/sbr_reviews_azaro_st.shtml

Offline Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »
Especially for a long ride 6-7 thousand miles this summer...

What would you guys go with, would not want to replace while on the trip...

Ok, later,

Dan :)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Well I ordered the Storm Ultra and the venom. Both were available in standard size. Best price I found was from Chaparral. $245.76 to the door. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »
A little late but i really like the Shinko 777

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=WES_87-4186

i think i like it better then the roadrider i had before it, i still have the front roadrider going on about 11,000 and still looks pretty good, i lost some of my Maintenance logs but i got about 7,500 from the rear roadrider and probably could have went a little more but it was close to the wear bars.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting