Author Topic: Ok, so let's get something straight....  (Read 10427 times)

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
Re: Ok, so let's get something straight....
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »
I can see riding a trike or Can Am     When I'm an old crippled wreck. [might be next week]

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »
In OHIO you have to have a endorsement on your drivers license for a Motorcycle, they do offer a "Three Wheeled Motorcycle" if you obtain the "Three Wheeled Motorcycle" endorsement it's only good for that, however if you obtain your "motorcycle" endorsement you can ride both. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:30 AM »
Couple of reasons keep me from getting one....

(1) More money than I care to spend at this time.

(2) Takes up more room than I have to spare in my garage.

What makes me giggle when topics like this raise to the surface or when I hear some snide comment about sidecar equipped bikes being for the infirm or feeble. If you have never rode a sidecar equipped bike you are in for quite the eye opening surprise when you do as they are not easy to steer at all and have quite the learning curve and to ride them with any amount speed requires skills that are just as hard if not harder than riding a motorcycle. When you put two steering tires out front you do make the "bike" so much more stable but it does still require both strength and skill to ride them fast.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
A few months ago the AMA-American Motorcylist Assoc. posed this question to readers and pretty much the same comments were made in the letters to the editor and the articles it generated.  Right now I can't remember the main reason the AMA brought it up but I think it had to do with laws pertaining to all motorcylcists. Anybody remember the articles?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
When you put two steering tires out front you do make the "bike" so much more stable but it does still require both strength and skill to ride them fast.

Hey T, you can get em with power steering.

This vehicle would be my backup plan if my knees, or whatever, get too crappy to feel confident on two wheels.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »
If the rider is out in the cold and heat, does he not have to deal with it?
If the rider is in the rain, does he not have to wear rain gear to keep from getting wet?
If the rider has an accident, does he not face the same injuries?

:o

It's road worthy, it has no options for doors, roof, heat and A/C. It may have three wheels, but it sounds a lot like a motorcycle to me. It may not lean and has one more wheel. But all the other attributes are more motorcycle than and automobile or equivalent!
 I've seen (for example) GoldWing"s and Harley's with a trike kit because the riders can't do two wheels anymore. Does that all of a sudden mean it's not a bike?
 When I was in Fontana in 09 for the national. We came across an older couple who had their brand new C14 on it's side, because his knees couldn't support the bike at that moment. He had been riding for many, many years, but was having problems now. People like this a lot of time move on to a trike or such to keep riding. They like to be in the wind. DO they not deserve to be on a motorcycle. Or because they need the support of the third wheel, is it no longer considered riding?  ???

Great post!  :goodpost:  I have a buddy, life-long rider who a few years ago due to knee problems either had to go with 3 wheels or give up riding completely. He's still riding and happy to be able to. He damn well thinks he's still a biker!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 08:07:57 AM »
Hey T, you can get em with power steering.

This I did not know but sort of expected it could or has been done.

I'd like to see more done with the leaning concept as that will bring in an entirely new riding experiance; will be costly though......
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »

So a bike with a side car is not a bike. It's a trike?

In my book it's a bike that takes a specialized set of skills to ride...... Overcook a right hand turn and you will soon find out the you can't just grab some brakes as it will shoot you right out and into oncoming traffic; you must stay in the gas use some front brake and lots of body english and/or learn to fly the car which is a scary balancing act again not for the feeble.
Tony P. Crochet

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »
If a sidecar equipped bike is on 2 wheels what do you call it?

According to Vena, fun!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Personally, if I couldn't ride a motorcycle anymore, I'd get a convertible Smart car before I'd consider a motorized trike of either the conventional or Can Am configuration.  I could care less if others ride them but they aren't my thing.

Now if it has wings, I'm fine with three wheels!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
Rudyard Kipling

We and They
"A Friend of the Family"
From "Debits and Credits"(1919-1923)
Father and Mother, and Me,
  Sister and Auntie say
All the people like us are We,
  And every one else is They.
And They live over the sea,
  While We live over the way,
But-would you believe it? --They look upon We
  As only a sort of They!

We eat pork and beef
  With cow-horn-handled knives.
They who gobble Their rice off a leaf,
  Are horrified out of Their lives;
While they who live up a tree,
  And feast on grubs and clay,
(Isn't it scandalous? ) look upon We
  As a simply disgusting They!

We shoot birds with a gun.
  They stick lions with spears.
Their full-dress is un-.
  We dress up to Our ears.
They like Their friends for tea.
  We like Our friends to stay;
And, after all that, They look upon We
  As an utterly ignorant They!

We eat kitcheny food.
  We have doors that latch.
They drink milk or blood,
  Under an open thatch.
We have Doctors to fee.
  They have Wizards to pay.
And (impudent heathen!) They look upon We
  As a quite impossible They!

All good people agree,
  And all good people say,
All nice people, like Us, are We
  And every one else is They:
But if you cross over the sea,
  Instead of over the way,
You may end by (think of it!) looking on We
  As only a sort of They!

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
BRP Can-Am Spyder IS NOT A MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can stop at a light, not put your feet down and it doesn't fall over IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it doesn't lean into a corner IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it's has more than two wheels IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! (exclusion being a side car)
If it doesn't wheelie IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE! (yes 2-3" counts as a  wheelie)
If it's as wide as a small car IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If it doesn't have a side stand IT'S NOT A MOTORCYCLE!
If I say it's not a motorcycle then IT'S NOT A F$%^ING MOTORCYCLE!

Rant done................. :-X

+1
They rate down there with Hardly-Ableson in my book  :o
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline booger

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Maybe legally, but not to me . . . see above.

We live in a legal world.  The definition is probably not up to you.

You could call a dog a pig.  But why, when the rest of the world knows it as a dog. :-\

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
We live in a legal world.  The definition is probably not up to you.

You could call a dog a pig.  But why, when the rest of the world knows it as a dog. :-\

. . . and you could call a Spyder a motorcycle, but I will call it a 3-wheeled go-kart thingie  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

YoDoc

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »
You guys are as bad as the Harley guys and the Harley bashers both, you know, with the refusing to accept reality thing...  :P

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
Since I'm new to the forum(s) none of you know me yet. I love controversy, I like to stir things up a bit and get what I deserve for doing it.
I’m just an ordinary middle aged guy with an average vocabulary and I love to debate.
I do take peoples opinions very seriously and most of the time respect them. That is not to say I’m not pig headed, ask my wife.
I get the impression that the average age of a Connie rider is somewhere in the 40-50. Therefore I feel like I’m in the right place to have decent debates on various subjects and the Spyder post is just an ice breaker.
Do I like the Spyder? NO! Do I care if someone wants to buy and ride one? NO.
My definition of a “motorcycle” is pretty clear to all of you I’m sure, but that doesn’t make me right. I guess maybe I’m less of a “rider” than I think I am, because the day I can’t hold up my motorcycle I think I’ll just hang up my helmet and call it quits.
Most of my life’s greatest moments (excluding wife, kids and such) have been on a motorcycle. Most of my life’s worst moments (excluding divorce and such) have been at the helm of a motorcycle as well. So I know I’m a “real” 2 wheel motorcyclist. Later on will I change my mind about 3 wheels? Who knows, time will tell.

Someone compared me to a Harley hater. I’m not a Harley hater, I’m an attitude hater.
I hate stuck up “I’m better than you cause I have a Harley attitude”. I read a sticker the other day that said “20 miles and $20000 don’t make you a biker” and I think that about sums it up. I’ll ride with anyone if they have mufflers!  I’ll ride with anyone that has “the” passion.

So now that you all know I’m just  a poop agitator and like to stir some up, any one have a good subject??? :D

Lol
Danny

YoDoc

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
40-50! Is that why most of this board sounds like my parents? LOL. I'm 28. I vote democrat and favor gay marriage. I don't believe that anything is worth the energy I have to expend to hate it. Except commies, hippies, and people trying to shoot me, of course. I have never seen a motorcycle, scooter, sidecar, or trike I wouldn't like to ride, at least for a few hundred miles. :) I have never seen a group I would not like to ride with, at least for a few hundred miles. :)

NOW who doesn't like that? There seems to be a lot of dislike around these boards... hehehe...

Offline Gsun

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
Since I'm new to the forum(s) none of you know me yet. I love controversy, I like to stir things up a bit and get what I deserve for doing it.
I’m just an ordinary middle aged guy with an average vocabulary and I love to debate.
I do take peoples opinions very seriously and most of the time respect them. That is not to say I’m not pig headed, ask my wife.
I get the impression that the average age of a Connie rider is somewhere in the 40-50. Therefore I feel like I’m in the right place to have decent debates on various subjects and the Spyder post is just an ice breaker.
Do I like the Spyder? NO! Do I care if someone wants to buy and ride one? NO.
My definition of a “motorcycle” is pretty clear to all of you I’m sure, but that doesn’t make me right. I guess maybe I’m less of a “rider” than I think I am, because the day I can’t hold up my motorcycle I think I’ll just hang up my helmet and call it quits.
Most of my life’s greatest moments (excluding wife, kids and such) have been on a motorcycle. Most of my life’s worst moments (excluding divorce and such) have been at the helm of a motorcycle as well. So I know I’m a “real” 2 wheel motorcyclist. Later on will I change my mind about 3 wheels? Who knows, time will tell.

Someone compared me to a Harley hater. I’m not a Harley hater, I’m an attitude hater.
I hate stuck up “I’m better than you cause I have a Harley attitude”. I read a sticker the other day that said “20 miles and $20000 don’t make you a biker” and I think that about sums it up. I’ll ride with anyone if they have mufflers!  I’ll ride with anyone that has “the” passion.

So now that you all know I’m just  a poop agitator and like to stir some up, any one have a good subject??? :D

Lol
Danny

Take it to the arena. You will get lots there!

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
Neighbor came down the road the other day with the blade down on his John Deere model "B". A model "B" is a three wheel tractor, it has no roof, it has no trunk, the driver is exposed to the elements. It is a fookin tractor.

One wheel = wheelbarrow or unicycle
Two wheels = [bi]cycle
Two wheels + motor = motorcycle
Two wheels + motor + bolt-on and removable sidecar = motorcycle with sidecar (AKA: A hack)
Three wheels = antique ATV, or John Deer Model "B", or Cessna "Land-O-Matic", or some fookin Yuppie scoot-mobile I-wanna-be a  motorcycle dood please-oh-please can I huh huh even if I wear a helmet....
Four wheels = Coffin (view Aerostich catalog, T-shirt section), or roller skate.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

YoDoc

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 11:25:13 PM »
Neighbor came down the road the other day with the blade down on his John Deere model "B". A model "B" is a three wheel tractor, it has no roof, it has no trunk, the driver is exposed to the elements. It is a fookin tractor.

One wheel = wheelbarrow or unicycle
Two wheels = [bi]cycle
Two wheels + motor = motorcycle
Two wheels + motor + bolt-on and removable sidecar = motorcycle with sidecar (AKA: A hack)
Three wheels = antique ATV, or John Deer Model "B", or Cessna "Land-O-Matic", or some fookin Yuppie scoot-mobile I-wanna-be a  motorcycle dood please-oh-please can I huh huh even if I wear a helmet....
Four wheels = Coffin (view Aerostich catalog, T-shirt section), or roller skate.

Rick

http://www.retiredtractors.com/Modelb.html

That there tractor has got four wheels, bub.

A Plymouth Silver King has three wheels...

http://www.silverkingtractors.com/SKpics/samp/samp2.jpg