Poll

Valve adjust checks

Did it myself
28 (58.3%)
Took it to the dealer
20 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Valve adjust/checks - dealer or not  (Read 15351 times)

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Valve adjust/checks - dealer or not
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
I need to get on the "valve cover gasket leak" warranty gravy train!  How did you know your valve cover gasket is leaking?  It's pretty hard to see inside unless I take the covers off. Thanks.

Most likely ship it to the dealer.......I'm hope my vc leaks when I'm ready for valve adj.    :o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »
I had all my fairings off when I spotted the oil seepage what I had been smelling for the previous month or two. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
I just noticed white smoke. Just a little bit, once the exaust manifold heated up. Took off the skins and sure enough the front of the cylinders are wet with oil.

Warranty is up next month so I'll be calling Cherry Hill Kawi this week to get it in.
Because turning doesn't suck.

voileauciel

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »
I just noticed white smoke. Just a little bit, once the exaust manifold heated up. Took off the skins and sure enough the front of the cylinders are wet with oil.

Warranty is up next month so I'll be calling Cherry Hill Kawi this week to get it in.

How are they in Cherry Hill? I'm up in North Brunswick and was considering buying from them, as I know a few other people who bought Kawis there and all had good experiences. Is there servicing decent? Do they charge out the wazoo?

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
Re: Cherry Hill,
I can't speak as to their service dept but I bought my '09 there last August. Found it on Ebay and made the trip over to pick it up. Pretty decent people to deal with IMO.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
A local mechanic here in Savannah marks the valve cover in some way just in case a customer claims a valve inspection wasn't done.

When I did mine last year, I put my initials and mileage with a permanent marker inside the valve cover (who knows if it will be there next time?).

For comparison, one of the local Kawasaki dealers cannot possibly do valve inspections. Not only do they not have the proper shims, they do not have a micrometer. Many shims markings are unreadable, in these cases a micrometer is necessary to determine the thickness so the proper calculation can be made to get the proper clearance.

When asked, the mechanic simply said "I haven't needed a micrometer in 3 years".

Either he's very good at guessing differences of .00x" or he's a knucklehead who is charging customers for work that is not performed.

YMMV.

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:56 AM »
How are they in Cherry Hill? I'm up in North Brunswick and was considering buying from them, as I know a few other people who bought Kawis there and all had good experiences. Is there servicing decent? Do they charge out the wazoo?

Service Department is good. Can't say about charges because the leak was covered under warrantee. I did ask for a quote to Sync the throtle bodies, spark plugs and Valve check/adjust while they were in there and they said $600+. I said "no thanks".
I usually do my own maintenance and only took it in for the leak because it was covered.

I still want to take it appart to see if everything was put back correctly.
Because turning doesn't suck.