Author Topic: What would you like to see on the Next Generation GTR/Concours?  (Read 12169 times)

Offline O.C.

Re: What would you like to see on the Next Generation GTR/Concours?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 02:32:42 AM »
The C14 engine is not "de" tuned, it is tuned differently.... precisely as they wanted and intended for sports touring (reliability, comfort, noise, efficiency, refinement).  It is unlikely they would leave it exactly like in the ZX14 (power trumps everything) without "re" tuning it in some ways.

I would be surprised if a new generation C14 came out that was built on this same block, though (since they changed it for the ZX14).  It has to increase the complexity, expense, space, etc, to have to maintain the inventory and production capacity for two instead of just one.  The more interchangeability they have, the better their bottom line.

I just had one of those "haven't we been here before moments" Max  :rotflmao:   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:17 AM »
I just had one of those "haven't we been here before moments" Max  :rotflmao:   

Yep, deja voodoo.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
please add Self Canceling Directionals to the list.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
Had that on the Voyager XII...hated it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
Had that on the Voyager XII...hated it.

How did it work in the Voyager? I've used them on rental Harley's and they seem to have it figured out. I think they go by distance traveled.

Offline chap

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »
For me Cruise Control would be the big one to ask for. Should be easy with the fly by wire systems of the new ZX.
The addition of an on-board audio system with Satellite and MP3 capability, and Bluetooth to helmet.
Performance is fine for me.
GPS would be nice but they are often hard to keep maps updated.

Just my 2 cents worth
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline bigtremb

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
ride by wire match with a real electronique cruise control, integrated gps mount like bmw's and maybe better seat option

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
For me:

1441 ZX14 R motor
cruise control
Seth Laam seat from factory
loose 50 pounds

If Mama Kaw did this for a gen 3 Connie I would trade my 2014 for it THAT SAME DAY!
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
At any price? I mean, would you pay an additional, say, $2,500 for those changes?

And if you were willing to pay for them, how many other people would pay a significant amount more for those specific things you want?  I would not pay an additional dollar for the Seth Laam saddle I would take off the bike and replace with a Corbin.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that the factory must decide what makes the bike 'better', and especially, more valuable for the majority of the people and then they have to sell enough at a higher price to recover the costs of making those changes in the first place. Just like most people want MORE money for working MORE hours.... not me though, when I work extra, I actually pay my customer for the privilege of having done so... yeah, that's the ticket.  ;D

Brian

For me:

1441 ZX14 R motor
cruise control
Seth Laam seat from factory
loose 50 pounds

If Mama Kaw did this for a gen 3 Connie I would trade my 2014 for it THAT SAME DAY!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
At any price? I mean, would you pay an additional, say, $2,500 for those changes?

And if you were willing to pay for them, how many other people would pay a significant amount more for those specific things you want?  I would not pay an additional dollar for the Seth Laam saddle I would take off the bike and replace with a Corbin.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that the factory must decide what makes the bike 'better', and especially, more valuable for the majority of the people and then they have to sell enough at a higher price to recover the costs of making those changes in the first place. Just like most people want MORE money for working MORE hours.... not me though, when I work extra, I actually pay my customer for the privilege of having done so... yeah, that's the ticket.  ;D

Brian

Brian---for me personally I would absolutely jump on it for an extra $2500! I was looking at a BMW K1600GT originally. In Canada it spec'd out at about $30,000 plus tax. Being a lover over Mama Kaw horsepower (I have a 2000 ZX12R Ninja); I looked at the Connie which listed at $19,000 plus tax (13% in Ontario)---I got mine out the door with a 6 year warranty for for $16,000. So for me, $18,500 out the door for the bike I listed above would be a buy it on the spot deal for me! This was a Christmas wish list thread---this was my wish list and might not float someone elses boat.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »

Brian---for me personally I would absolutely jump on it for an extra $2500! I was looking at a BMW K1600GT originally. In Canada it spec'd out at about $30,000 plus tax.

But there is always the FRJ looming and it's price.  Sure, it is uglier and slower and such, but it (and the Honda) are the main competitors and priced similarly.  Like Brian's comment, for me a Lathem seat would go straight in the trash because I would need a Sargent low seat (it is not optional, I HAVE to have the lowest seat possible).  So the extra $400 that seat might cost to include just hurts me.

Same thing with a GPS.  I will have one.  I already have one.  Most of us use a phone, anyway.  Adding a $1,000 GPS in a new model will ultimately hurt them since most people won't want it.... unless they make it optional.

This was a Christmas wish list thread---this was my wish list and might not float someone elses boat.

Well, you have a valid point, it was a wish list.  So do wish away!   But you have to be realistic with your wishes if you even expect them to come true.  I wish it would get 100MPG and it weighed 300 pounds less and cost $10,000 less... all with the same power and features.... but that ain't happening :) :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Ok---I will settle for cruise control and the 1441. Man you guys are harshing my mellow--lol!
Next you will say I can't fantasize about Margot Robbie, and have to settle for Margot Kidder!
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that the factory corporate marketing must decide what makes the bike 'better', and especially, more valuable for the majority of the people and then they have to sell enough at a higher price to recover the costs of making those changes in the first place. Just like most people want MORE money for working MORE hours.... not me though, when I work extra, I actually pay my customer for the privilege of having done so... yeah, that's the ticket.  ;D

Brian
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
How did it work in the Voyager? I've used them on rental Harley's and they seem to have it figured out. I think they go by distance traveled.

My XJ1100J Yamaha Maxim had it figured out in 1982, but I can't figure out how they did it either. ???

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 04:40:05 AM »
I believe it was distance.  It was either signaling too long or not enough.  I thought I was in heaven when I got manual signals again.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
Cruise control. It's a touring bike for pete's sake.  Everybody else has it, with the exception of Honda and if you haven't updated your bike for years, you don't count.

Make it feel not so top heavy.  I realize this is not easy.   My #1 complaint with the big is how top heavy it is. 

I don't want bigger bags, they're huge already and there is no free lunch, it makes a big, heavy bike more so.  Mirrors are fine for me.  ESA, who cares.  You can't 'fix' a seat for everyone.  Turn signals, meh. Stock tires are gonna be cheap and replaced soon, so no biggie.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »

Make it feel not so top heavy.  I realize this is not easy.   My #1 complaint with the big is how top heavy it is. 

Top heavy ?

Must just be me :)

I came to the GTR from a Blackbird (or 2 & and prior to that ST1100s) and although its best part of 49kg heavier (wet) than the Bird (& about 23kg lighter [wet] than the ST1100) she doesn't feel it.

That's mainly due to most of the extra weight (a big portion of which is down low in the shaft drive I would imagine plus the fuel is held lower) she doesn't feel it even at low speeds.

But thats just my opinion, I might be strange :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »
We're both strange..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
The C14 has a huge 4 cyl, 16 valve VVT engine, correspondingly large cooling system, and lots of stuff.  I don't think there is much way to make it less top-heavy as a sport tourer of this power/capacity other than somewhat exotic things like replacing the fuel tank with carbon fiber and other such advances that would shoot the cost through the roof.  I don't think anything else in the class will feel much less top-heavy.  This is not to say that I don't agree that it feels top heavy- it is especially so for those of us with short legs....  I just think it is the nature of the type of bike.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
No one said the request had to be reasonable!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F