Author Topic: Proud New Owner  (Read 8285 times)

Offline MrFurious

Proud New Owner
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
Picked up my new 2009 C14 non-ABS today - in Bad@ss black since we all know black is the fastest.   ;D 

As usual, the dealer did a half-ass job of prepping the bike and sent me on my way with less than 30psi in both tires.   :o  Got them aired up to the recommended 42psi when I got home but still have that blasted red warning light flashing (even with the bike off).  Guess I'll just tell everyone it's for the security system until I get that figured out.  8)  Oh, and naturally being a leftover 09 the batteries in both FOB's are giving me a Low Battery warning so I'll need to pick up a couple of those.

Anyway, here she is!

Only about 50 miles on her so far, but I definitely need to make a few adjustments.  A taller windshield, handlebar risers, grip covers, and an exhaust I can actually hear over the wind noise.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Cold Streak

Re: Proud New Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
Welcome to the club!  You'll be glad you joined.  The red "warning" light isn't.  It does always flash.  Just tells you the computer is awake and waiting it's next command I guess.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
Welcome.

The red LED stops flashing 24 hours after the bike has been shut off.

My dealer sent me home with 35psi in the front tire and 80psi in the rear. When I called and told him about it, he said that their tire gauge must have malfunctioned and thanks for bringing it to his attention.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Toaster

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
Welcome. I purchased a Red 09 in Dec. and love it. Did the taller windshield (Cee Bailey) and Spencer seat mod. I just bought new PR3 tires I will install next week. Once the bike is set up for your height and driving style, it will become pure joy to ride.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
Welcome fellow C14 owner. You are so right. The Black 09's are both the prettiest & the Fastest. JMHO  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Yeah, the ride home was rather loud wearing my usual open face helmet with the stock windshield so I definitely want something taller.  The bar risers are a must as I'm leaned forward a good bit more than I'd like, but am going to hold off on the peg lowering kit until I get some more miles on it and see if I really need them or not (34" inseam).  Also may lower the rear as I can just barely flat-foot with both feet and walking it backwards is kind of awkward.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
BTW, anyone running the National Cycle VStream windscreen?  Looks to be 4.5-5" taller than stock, and while the price is pretty steep I have an inside man who can get me a good discount. 
Jim B.
COG #9642

Excavator

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
Looks familiar, mine is an 09 black abs.......Good choice.

I was looking at the Cee Bailey shields but it's gotten so hot here that I like the stock shield in the lowest position for now, I may slap a taller one on about October 1st.

Congrats.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Congrats Mr. F, you have great taste.  8)

Now it's time to farkle up!!  ;)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »

Nice pick!  My dealer was sitting on mine before I test rode it revving it some when I asked why he explained: " Often these fuel injected bikes stall when not warmed up". So it did stall a lot till I raised the idle to where it should have been..never been an issue since :banghead:
    Its funny because he was bragging on the go-over his service dept did to this bike haha!

Mike

Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
BTW, anyone running the National Cycle VStream windscreen?  Looks to be 4.5-5" taller than stock, and while the price is pretty steep I have an inside man who can get me a good discount.

Yep, I'm running the Vstream windscreen. Much taller than the stock '09 screen (even taller than the stock 2010-2011 screen). Though I only paid about $150 for it--I don't really consider that steep since that's about what a replacement screen from Kawi would cost.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »
Yep, I'm running the Vstream windscreen. Much taller than the stock '09 screen (even taller than the stock 2010-2011 screen). Though I only paid about $150 for it--I don't really consider that steep since that's about what a replacement screen from Kawi would cost.

Could you get me a measurement from the top mounting hole to the top of the windscreen?  The graphic on their site measures the total length and it's hard to tell where they're measuring from at the bottom.  I know I need at least 6-8 inches to bring the top lip up to nose level on me with the screen in the highest position.  Height I need will really depend on how much the bar risers straighten up the riding position, but that should be pretty close.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
From the top mounting screw to the top of the screen is 15" (14.5" straight up from the screw, but the top of the screen is slightly domed). I started with the stock screen and bought the Kawasaki "tall" screen (standard screen for the 2010-2011 models). That wasn't tall enough either so I went with the VStream. It's almost perfect though I sometimes wish it was about an inch or so taller. When I'm riding in a comfortable position and duck my head just a tad, it gets quieter. I'm also using 2" Gen-Mar risers so I'm sitting up slightly taller than stock.

Bob

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
Congrats! Another black bike!  ;D

Offline booger

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »
Congrats!  Good looking scoot.    (actually looks like mine, except cleaner) ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
Picked up my new 2009 C14 non-ABS today

Congrats!!

- in Bad@ss black since we all know black is the fastest.   ;D 

Now you are just delusional.   But, we will give you one free pass.

when I got home but still have that blasted red warning light flashing (even with the bike off).  Guess I'll just tell everyone it's for the security system until I get that figured out.

That *is* the security system warning light.  It will always flash for a day, when the bike is off... that is normal and does not indicate a problem
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Excavator

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »

May I suggest first thing to do is protection for your radiator, I have some bent fins from the first 600 miles (Kawisaki left it unprotected). I installed a fenda extenda from Murphs, high quality, easy install and affordable or you might want a radiator guard.

Enjoy your new ride.

http://www.murphskits.com/

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »

Have it and love it!  I'm 6'2" and all the way down I still get a good face full of air, but its clean air (no buffeting) and all the way up its dead silent.  I picked mine up for 134.99 when someone posted a link for it, if you can beat that great, if not I'm sure we'll see it on sale again.  Definitely worth every penny.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »

Run one, love it. As for the price, I don't know where the hell you're looking, but it's usually available for far less than other brands.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
Congrats Mr. F, you have great taste.  8)

Now it's time to farkle up!!  ;)

Here kitty kitty kitty...  ;)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17.0