Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66312 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »
The ones made out of rubber seem to work quite nicely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »
So I need a new pair of tires and I don't know wich one to choose?!?!

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT (PR4-GT) seem to be one of the best choices right now if you want a combination of good performance and tread life.  Not cheap, though.

You might want to check out the dozens of other existing threads on tires such as:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19184
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19303
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17195
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16897
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8537
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18874
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 07:12:49 PM »
I just installed a set of Continental Road Attack 2. Had them on a couple weeks. Grip seems very good, wet road grip very good also. I moved to a 55.  Like the way it rolls into a corner. Little different and quicker at first. But I adjust to the feel real quick.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Re: TIRES
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone BT 30 yet??

I just had them put on my C14 last week.  300 miles so far, and really like them- so far I like them better than the PR4 GTs that where on before.  Hard to compare worn out tires to new ones, and I did also go from the 50 series rear to the 55 on the T30. 

Bike feels lighter and faster in the turns. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone BT 30 yet??
I just had them put on my C14 last week.  300 miles so far, and really like them- so far I like them better than the PR4 GTs that where on before.  Hard to compare worn out tires to new ones, and I did also go from the 50 series rear to the 55 on the T30. 

Bike feels lighter and faster in the turns. 

I wonder If Frank ZZR is still interested since he ask the question a year ago,eh MAX

Offline PH14

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »
I just replaced my PR3s with PR4 GTs. The PR3s seemed to handle well even when they were near the end of their life. Had I more time to research them, I might have tried the Bridgestones. A friend of mine, a mechanic who works at the dealership I bought the tires from, has the Stones on his ST. He loves them.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
I recently replaced my oem tires (500 miles) with PR4 non GT

Best mod so far

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline leisyman

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
anyone ever tried Dunlop American Elite HD Touring Tire - Rear - 200/55R17 ? i know it's made for Hardleys, but Just thinking of a higher mileage tire, since most of my daily commute is slab or long sweepers.

$175 ea

Just askin

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
I put Dunlop replacement tires on my Harley. Once. Ran nothing but Metzlers or Michelins after that. As far as I'm concerned, Dunlops are better than bald or flat. Just barely.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »
I just replaced my PR3s with PR4 GTs. The PR3s seemed to handle well even when they were near the end of their life. Had I more time to research them, I might have tried the Bridgestones. A friend of mine, a mechanic who works at the dealership I bought the tires from, has the Stones on his ST. He loves them.

Key word here is 'ST'... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline leisyman

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
I am asking about putting the American Elite on my C-14. higher mileage for touring

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
The people I know that got bikes with those Dunlops on them did not purchase Dunlops to replace them when they wore out. Do what you will, I'm just trying to relay information.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
+1

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
 You guys do understand a "spec" tire by any and all manufacturers for the oems is not the same tire they actually make as the aftermarket tires they sell.

So condemning Dunlop or Bridgestone based on some spec tire is foolhardy and shortsighted at best. if there is blame to be had it lays strictly on the lap of the oem who spec'd what they wanted the tire manufacturer to make for them

But to the question on the Dunlop American Elite.....

well I believe those are not radial tires for starters... but here the official blurb right off the Dunlop Website

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/harley-davidson/american-elite/american-elite/

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
You guys do understand a "spec" tire by any and all manufacturers for the oems is not the same tire they actually make as the aftermarket tires they sell.

So condemning Dunlop or Bridgestone based on some spec tire is foolhardy and shortsighted at best. if there is blame to be had it lays strictly on the lap of the oem who spec'd what they wanted the tire manufacturer to make for them

well I believe those are not radial tires for starters... but here the official blurb right off the Dunlop Website

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/harley-davidson/american-elite/american-elite/
[/quot

It's foolhardy and shortsighted of Bridgestone to make a tire as crappy as the 021 under any circumstances.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »

It's foolhardy and shortsighted of Bridgestone to make a tire as crappy as the 021 under any circumstances.

Offline leisyman

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
looking at the link to Dunlop that was sent:

if you look at the 200/55 17 rear, it is a, and i Quote"   200/55R17" R stands for Radial, one of the only radials of this model.
now i ask again, how about putting it on my Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
I wonder If Frank ZZR is still interested since he ask the question a year ago,eh MAX

Who knows- but I wonder if we have hundreds of similar but fragmented threads will that will help with searching and finding useful stuff?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2015, 03:46:55 AM »
looking at the link to Dunlop that was sent:

if you look at the 200/55 17 rear, it is a, and i Quote"   200/55R17" R stands for Radial, one of the only radials of this model.
now i ask again, how about putting it on my Connie

Seems like no one here has first hand knowledge. It is about one half inch wider so it will probably fit. Try it and report back.

Offline PH14

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2015, 05:43:58 AM »
Key word here is 'ST'... ::)

:finger_fing11:

He found a killer deal on a used very low mileage one and couldn't pass it up. He was dying with his cruiser after having sport bikes.