Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66305 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
The Pirelli's have a different, longer- wearing compound on the GT version. Having used both the ST and GT, I found that the GT did last longer but was not as 'grippy'. I should have specified that in my original post and will go back and edit it.

From an article in Cycle World: "Available in 16- and 17-inch sizes, the Angel GT has one spiral steel belt in common with the outgoing Angel ST, but beyond that it’s totally new. As Pirelli explains, most wear occurs as the working surface slows under compression and then accelerates while rotating away from the road. Since physics can’t be changed, the company revised the tire construction to widen and shorten the contact patch for improved wear characteristics.

Grip is a function of the tire carcass conforming to the road surface, and the rubber compound’s ability to cling microscopically to it. Pirelli reports much progress in the formulation of the polymers and silica used to provide cold grip, wet-weather grip and longevity. An improved profile providing a linear transition from straight up to full lean, as well as a grippier tread compound at the sides, further expand the Angel GT’s cornering appetite. "

I am not certain that the same thing applies to Michelins but I believe it does although again, I am not sure. I have not used Michelin GT's and honestly, do not plan on trying them. I believe my next tires will be Michelin PR4's with a -55 series on the rear.

Brian

I thought the sidewalls were stiffer, not that it was a harder compound.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
Many members have thousands of miles on the PR2 and PR3 and prefer them over the PR4

I can't fault Michelin with their sales pitch, but the PR2 thru PR4 are plenty capable for the C14

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
The Pirelli's have a different, longer- wearing compound on the GT version. Having used both the ST and GT, I found that the GT did last longer but was not as 'grippy'. I should have specified that in my original post and will go back and edit it.

From an article in Cycle World: "Available in 16- and 17-inch sizes, the Angel GT has one spiral steel belt in common with the outgoing Angel ST, but beyond that it’s totally new. As Pirelli explains, most wear occurs as the working surface slows under compression and then accelerates while rotating away from the road. Since physics can’t be changed, the company revised the tire construction to widen and shorten the contact patch for improved wear characteristics.

Grip is a function of the tire carcass conforming to the road surface, and the rubber compound’s ability to cling microscopically to it. Pirelli reports much progress in the formulation of the polymers and silica used to provide cold grip, wet-weather grip and longevity. An improved profile providing a linear transition from straight up to full lean, as well as a grippier tread compound at the sides, further expand the Angel GT’s cornering appetite. "

I am not certain that the same thing applies to Michelins but I believe it does although again, I am not sure. I have not used Michelin GT's and honestly, do not plan on trying them. I believe my next tires will be Michelin PR4's with a -55 series on the rear.

Brian

The PR4 rear also has rain specific tread pattern that rocks in a 55 profile. I've been doing the twisties and sweepers in the Smoky Mtns. lately, so probably won't get the usual 18-20k out of these sneakers.

Offline madski

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:03 PM »
Ended up getting a set of PR4 GT's (55 rear) - will see how they work in comparison to the 'stones. 
2009 Concours :: 2012 ZX10R :: 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike) - Central PA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2015, 06:22:30 AM »
Ended up getting a set of PR4 GT's (55 rear) - will see how they work in comparison to the 'stones.

I have no doubt as to the outcome  8)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »
I've got a PR4 in the 55 series showing up today. Going on the ZX14R though. It munched through the rear in 2,000 miles.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
I've got a PR4 in the 55 series showing up today. Going on the ZX14R though. It munched through the rear in 2,000 miles.

I have no experience in this but I wouldn't expect them to be nearly as grippy as a true sport tire.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Just back from a quick ride with the new tire. I'll give you 3 guesses how the bike felt. 8)

sailor_chic

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »
1) Wonderful
2) fabulous
3) superb

I'm guessing all 3

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »
Three out of three!

sailor_chic

« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
Woo-hoo! And may the next 10k miles be just as good.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »
The "only" time I run PR4's is when a second best tire just won't do 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Three out of three!

Wow! And on a serious sport bike like a ZX14R! I love them on my C14 but I bet I don't even come close to pushing the limits of the PR4's like you would on a Ninja 14!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »

The 55 profile seems to change directions easier, of course any tire would feel better than the old one.

Offline Canada44

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »

The 55 profile seems to change directions easier, of course any tire would feel better than the old one.

Great choice in tires and profile !!
2010 ABS C14

elp_jc

« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
No need for a 'GT' version unless you ride close to the GVWR (heavy rider, 2-up, etc). It costs more, is heavier, harder to mount (with increased risk of rim gouges), rides harsher, and handles worse if you're an aggressive rider, due to being stiffer. Don't know if compound is different, but it'd be another detriment for aggressive riders if it does. For my 160# and aggressive riding, it's a deal-breaker. And if you don't believe me, just ckeck the weight ratings and you'll see the regular tires are more than enough even for light 2-up riders, especially if not doing triple digits in hot weather. But to each his own ;).

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »
It costs more, is heavier, harder to mount (with increased risk of rim gouges), rides harsher, and handles worse if you're an aggressive rider, due to being stiffer.

So, you've already tried the GT version? What kind of mileage did you get out of it?

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
No need for a 'GT' version unless you ride close to the GVWR (heavy rider, 2-up, etc). It costs more, is heavier, harder to mount (with increased risk of rim gouges), rides harsher, and handles worse if you're an aggressive rider, due to being stiffer. Don't know if compound is different, but it'd be another detriment for aggressive riders if it does. For my 160# and aggressive riding, it's a deal-breaker. And if you don't believe me, just ckeck the weight ratings and you'll see the regular tires are more than enough even for light 2-up riders, especially if not doing triple digits in hot weather. But to each his own ;).

Members are still rocking PR2 and PR3 with no issues

GT is just a marketing ploy

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

sailor_chic

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
It costs more, is heavier, harder to mount (with increased risk of rim gouges), rides harsher, and handles worse if you're an aggressive rider, due to being stiffer.

So, you've already tried the GT version? What kind of mileage did you get out of it?

LOL! Yes curious minds want to know

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
You Goofballs. You have to ride a bike to wear out tires. ::)

;D