Author Topic: Advice for cold hands.  (Read 10149 times)

Offline SteelCityGuy

Advice for cold hands.
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:11:06 PM »
Hello, so my problem is my hands get frozen when riding for 1+ hour in temps below 30.  I use icon winter gloves with cycle gear cold liners and the grip heaters cranked all the way up. I'm assuming it's due to the air hitting my hands.  Two options I'm considering are a calsci x wide windshield or project D aero wings. Currently my bike is 100% stock so which do you think would help me ?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Advice for cold hands.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
Heated gloves and if you're a hands on guy Mr. Pope gave us this excellent plan for air wings...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10501.msg128285#msg128285

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
I have not seen a CalSci X-wide 'in the flesh' so cannot be sure but I doubt there will be enough windshield, low enough at the outer edges, to provide decent hand protection. Baker hand wings work very well for me, and there are other brands also.

As already mentioned in this thread, hand guards coupled with heated gloves will absolutely solve your problem; at least it has for me and I ride when it is below 20F out.

Brian

Hello, so my problem is my hands get frozen when riding for 1+ hour in temps below 30.  I use icon winter gloves with cycle gear cold liners and the grip heaters cranked all the way up. I'm assuming it's due to the air hitting my hands.  Two options I'm considering are a calsci x wide windshield or project D aero wings. Currently my bike is 100% stock so which do you think would help me ?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »
Gerbings heated gear...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I just turn on the heated grips.   With them I typically am OK with my 3-season (vented + breathable) gloves to about 40F with occasional dips below.  But colder than that (which is a rare ride for me), I switch to the heavier Olympia Wind-Tex and no prob (well, except for it being harder to work controls and such).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
I was gonna say RUN!! Run away!!!

But remembered that's advice for cold feet.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:06 AM »
Heated gloves and if you're a hands on guy Mr. Pope gave us this excellent plan for air wings...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10501.msg128285#msg128285

Thanks gPink!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
Agree 100% step 1 is get the wind off your hands. I commute 30 minutes to and from work in 20f with just a pair of leather non insulated non heated gloves and I'm fine. I wouldn't go cross country like that but 30 minutes I'm fine. I forget what brand wind guards I have but very similar to what the Pope's home ones do.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
I ride all year and my hands were only cold once about 10 years ago...that afternoon I got a pair of Gerbings. I now have two more pairs of heated Gloves from Warm and Safe...http://www.warmnsafe.com/ one of their gen4 jackets, and new this year Gerbing heated insoles.

Warm and safe is a bit cheaper than Gerbing, and not a Chinese company either.

btw...one of my morning commutes last week it was 8F, and I was toasty!
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
btw...one of my morning commutes last week it was 8F, and I was toasty!

OMG, just shoot me.  My hands might be warm, but the rest of me would be frozen solid!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

Offline clogan

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 05:46:53 PM »
Hippo Hands is the single most effective hand-warming feature I have ever used, on any bike. Better than heated grips, better than any gloves alone.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline SteelCityGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 07:05:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. I ordered the hand guards today I'll see how that works then add to it from there.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:13 AM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=handlebar+muffs+for+motorcycles&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinqYXRuqvKAhWGVD4KHZCNDy8QsAQIWw&biw=1437&bih=711&dpr=2

No doubt about it. Handlebar muffs let you wear much lighter gloves so you don't lose feel of controls, while keeping fingers toasty.  And many brands are way less than $90.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »
Getting the wind off of your hands worked great for me.

[smg id=414]

[smg id=415]

Those are Motax brand air deflectors but they work the same as other brands.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
I bought a pair of "Firstgear Navigator" gloves in Colorado while on a road trip. They were supposed to be 4 season gloves but they're too warm to wear most of the time. I do wear them when it's cold out and they work great! The aren't bulky by any means and they do a great job keeping my hands warm when temps go below 30 degrees. Plus, they are really comfortable gloves! I have never had cold hands when riding in cold weather with these when combined with the heated grips! I have ridden with them in temps as low as 18 degrees and was totally fine! There is one review for these gloves on the Revzilla site and it's a poor review but I can tell you that the gloves are fantastic and I will completely disagree with the review in that they DO KEEP YOU WARM! The reviewer said they don't work below 40 degrees...his must have holes or something because they work great for me! Just so you know the story, I am affected by cold more so than most because of an accident years ago that took my left index finger and messed up my left thumb and both are severely affect by cold so I am a great resource when it comes to gloves and cold weather :thumbs:! I have my gloves customized after I buy them...I have the left index finger cut and sewn. Nothing worse than a glove finger "flopping around" while riding :o! BTW, I wear my summer gloves when it's 40 degrees out  ::)!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:42 PM »
At those temps I can tell you that the air wings will not work. I have them.  Heated grips will not work. I have them
Gerbing or Hippo is the only way to go. I would go with the hippo. Those are the bomb.
 Big heavy insulated gloves make it harder to control the bike.

I have not tried these but they are supposed to be the newest  thing out there.  There are lipo type  rechargeable battery  glove skins but they dont last all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92eNw-x2YkE&feature=youtu.be
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
freak show compared to heated gear

+1.  Those are UGLY!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....