Author Topic: auto code reader  (Read 5326 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
auto code reader
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
Anyone have any experience with DIY code readers/scanners? I have one that reads OBD2 and clears the check engine light. Mine also reads some live data, 02 sensor output, short and long term fuel trim, intake air temp, engine temp and a bunch of others. I'm looking for one that will do all of what I have now, but also read CAN data and ABS codes as well. There are a few available at the DIY level, just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
Re: auto code reader
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
Getting one that reads the ABS codes, that may cost a bit. The ones on the market, for a low price anyway, don't read those. You will get some info for the Power Train, but the ABS is a different story. The OBD2 scanners are set for the Power train/ Emissions.
 If you do a product search, there are some that will go deeper, depending on make/ model/ year. If its just your car, then you can probably get something that will do the ABS side as well for around $150 up. the good stuff is several K. There are some good Freeware programs and some DIY  for building a interface. But that also depends on make/ model/ Year.
 Sometimes a good quality scanner shows up for sale, as a shop upgrades.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
Was reading an article at the iATN web site about problems caused by cheap scanner connectors pushing the cars OBD pins out or bending them.

I used to have a DIY code reader and while it was quicker to set up and smaller than our Snap on unit it was a crap shoot when it came to getting reliable and usable information out of it.

A few years ago I tried one of those kits that uses a laptop and a special cable but it delivered more promises than it was able to deliver on.

If you find an older unit that someone is selling be sure it is still supported by the mfg. No inexpensive way around this that I have found if you want the kind of info you say you do.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »
I have this unit (link below) and it is so complex I don't even know what it will or won't do.  I bought it to try to figure out what was going a couple years ago when I had an intermittent "CHECK ENGINE" light and it did not pick up any codes on my GMC truck, even though about 100 wires in the main fuise box had been eaten by mice and there were open circuits, shorts, , etc. 

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/equus-innova-canobd-obd1-obd2-scan-kit-3120-p-16394.aspx
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »
I have this unit (link below) and it is so complex I don't even know what it will or won't do.  I bought it to try to figure out what was going a couple years ago when I had an intermittent "CHECK ENGINE" light and it did not pick up any codes on my GMC truck, even though about 100 wires in the main fuise box had been eaten by mice and there were open circuits, shorts, , etc. 

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/equus-innova-canobd-obd1-obd2-scan-kit-3120-p-16394.aspx

That's one of the manufacturers I'm looking at. One of their latest units does OBD2, CAN and most US makers ABS as well as live data. I'm sure these don't compare to Snap-On/Bluepoint etc, but I want a little more than just the ability to read and clear the code. I work on a lot more than just my own stuff, friends, family, an occasional paying job from a friend of a friend...
Actron has the one linked below which seems to have what I want, but the reviews on the software/support for it are pretty poor. The tool itself gets pretty good reviews, though.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IOITRG/ref=asc_df_B003IOITRG1794157?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003IOITRG
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
I should have added that, not only did my Innova unit not find anything with the torn up wiring, but the dealer's hi-dollar system didn't either.  In fact, that's why I bought mine.  I was having check engine light issues and the cruise control would do weird things intermittently and the dealer's scanner would not show a code, so they couldn't do anything, so I decided to try myself.  Ultimately it took 1/2 case of beer and a lot of poking around to find it, then 14 hours of rewiring to fix it.  I guess if the vehicle's computer doesn't throw a code, then no cscanner is going to find anything.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »
And if the wiring to the ECU has been eaten by meeces to pieces no scanner can read any codes because there is no complete circuit to the ECU.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
BTDT. I had a car at one point that I had to rewire 1 conductor at a time. Someone tried to install an aftermarket remote starter, and while they may have followed the directions clearly, they had no basic understanding of electricity/wiring. It seems there were 2 wires with the same color scheme under the dash. 1 was 10ga, maybe 8. The other was maybe 16ga. Clearly, the power for the starter circuit should go to the 16ga, right? (I'm duessing here, but this is what it seemed like happened. They CLEARLY put too much current through a small wire!!) I would have loved to have been there when they first pushed the button. Wires were burned all the way back to and including the rear license plate lights! The ECM had no idea if the trans was auto or manual, the wires to the sensor were burned up. Everything worked when I was done.
COG 9331

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
I bought one from the AutoZone store for about $125.  It displayed the code and the chart told me what section of the system had problems.  Examining the two suggested components,  I found  a split vacuum hose on the control module.  Problem found and solved, light reset, car passed Texas state safety/emisson inspection.  I have helped several other people since.  I feel it was a good investment.  I am sure it will not solve everthing, but it has helped on several problems.   Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
I'm thinking of getting rid of my dwell meter.  Can't see much use for it these days.  You can't work on a car from 96 onwards without a code reader.  I've had that meter 40 years.  My 91 Dodge truck retrieves codes via a flashing engine light.  I hate getting rid of things I might need, though.  What happens when there's an emp pulse, then?  Cars with points should still run, I would think.  Always be prepared, but there has to be a time to let go.  I looked on ebay, there are few dwell meters for sale.  Oh well, can't be bothered.  I would like a reader/tester that could interface (I said interface) with the car to go more in depth than just reading the codes but I can't really justify the cost for that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:26:33 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
I'm thinking of getting rid of my dwell meter.  Can't see much use for it these days.  You can't work on a car these days without a code reader.  I've had that meter 40 years.

I just had to break out my inductive timing light the other day. Had to work on a friends '72 MG-B. Ya just never know. Maybe someday I'll get that '71-'72 Dodge Demon 440 project car I want...
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »
I'm thinking of getting rid of my dwell meter.  Can't see much use for it these days.  You can't work on a car from 96 onwards without a code reader.  I've had that meter 40 years.  My 91 Dodge truck retrieves codes via a flashing engine light.  I hate getting rid of things I might need, though.  What happens when there's an emf pulse, then?  Cars with points should still run, I would think.  Always be prepared, but there has to be a time to let go.  I looked on ebay, there are few dwell meters for sale.  Oh well, can't be bothered.  I would like a reader/tester that could interface (I said interface) with the car to go more in depth than just reading the codes but I can't really justify the cost for that.
Quote from: bbroj
I just had to break out my inductive timing light the other day. Had to work on a friends '72 MG-B. Ya just never know. Maybe someday I'll get that '71-'72 Dodge Demon 440 project car I want...

I haven't gotten rid of my dwell meter or inductive timing light for the same reasons.  Although whenever I get my restoration started on my 72 Yamaha YDS7, they might prove useful.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »
I haven't gotten rid of my dwell meter or inductive timing light for the same reasons. Although whenever I get my restoration started on my 72 Yamaha YDS7, they might prove useful.

EMFP pulse?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 08:13:36 AM »

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
EMFP pulse?

Yep.   ;D 

But "EMP pulse" is redundant.   :)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
Yep, just like an pcv valve...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »
Yep, just like an pcv valve...

Nope.  Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 05:40:51 PM »
And if the wiring to the ECU has been eaten by meeces to pieces no scanner can read any codes because there is no complete circuit to the ECU.

I'd get a cat.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
get a cat......so that would then be a CAT Scan ......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Nope.  Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

Strike two...darn it.  I've been calling them Pollution Control Valves since my teenage years a year ago.