Author Topic: new ZX14 - didn't equal the hype.  (Read 4802 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
new ZX14 - didn't equal the hype.
« on: October 10, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
That is all.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline soyjim

Re: new ZX14 - didn't equal the hype.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
 My initial review looks like the major differences are bigger engine with new electronics and fuel supply, and traction control. Maybe there is other stuff. I am not the market for this bike cause I am real happy  with the c10 I have with about $3000 total dollars in. I have a couple of questions on how the ZX14 updates will apply to the c14.

1) will Kawasaki bring these changes to the C14?

2) Does the current concours community desire that the ZX14 changes come to the C14?

My thinking on the Two  questions is= I would not be interested in having those things if it caused the cost to go up much. I would prefer that Kawasaki keep the C14 more or less the same so that the parts supply continues to grow. It will be interesting to see when Kawasaki feels the need to make major changes to the C14, which I consider to still be the best bike in its class.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
As a sport tourer, the Z14 engine may not be desirable. All the big HP is up high in RPM's, and even babying the bike mine got 29 MPG.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
JMHO. Kaw should not try to make the C14 something it's not and I don't think they will. That's what the ZX is for. Refinements, yes. Cost control, yes. As long as the 14 is kept up to date I have no reason to consider another brand. I have many miles to put on my 08 before I move on to a newer 14. If Kaw was to screw it up it would lose the appeal that caused me to buy it in the first place. The 14 is the leader in the affordable sport touring market right now and will continue to be for some time. Unless Honda (ST) or Yamaha (FJR) already have something in the pipeline nothing new will be released until the world economy,read motorcycle market, improves.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »
Motorcyclist magazine had me believing it was going to be supercharged. Not surprised it didn't happen. I would like to see the new HP and 1/4 mile numbers though.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
According to Bikeland.org 210 Hp at the crank and 9.71 @147.9

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »
JMHO. Kaw should not try to make the C14 something it's not and I don't think they will. That's what the ZX is for. Refinements, yes. Cost control, yes. As long as the 14 is kept up to date I have no reason to consider another brand. I have many miles to put on my 08 before I move on to a newer 14. If Kaw was to screw it up it would lose the appeal that caused me to buy it in the first place. The 14 is the leader in the affordable sport touring market right now and will continue to be for some time. Unless Honda (ST) or Yamaha (FJR) already have something in the pipeline nothing new will be released until the world economy,read motorcycle market, improves.

I agree with ya! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
here ya go guys. Ricky Gadson run 1/4 mile on the new zx14 pullin 146mph
against the busa. lot of vids to check out here also.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2Fq4RMRX&h=xAQAETNt_AQCWPFYxnjgvND99nJclTB88-_uATz1Da5jyfA

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
And those are uncorrected numbers made at altitude and high temps. I'm not sure what the number would be after the Motomag people get done applying their special voodoo to it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »
here ya go guys. Ricky Gadson run 1/4 mile on the new zx14 pullin 146mph
against the busa. lot of vids to check out here also.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2Fq4RMRX&h=xAQAETNt_AQCWPFYxnjgvND99nJclTB88-_uATz1Da5jyfA

Thanks for the link G, very cool! I like that it allows you to turn the traction control off too, nice option...

I'm a long time Suzuki guy, this thing appears to be seriously focused on beating the Busa.  :-\   :(

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »

Thanks for the link G, very cool! I like that it allows you to turn the traction control off too, nice option...

I'm a long time Suzuki guy, this thing appears to be seriously focused on beating the Busa.  :-\   :(

if you watched all the vids you'll notice that theres two power options on the new zx14r. one being traction control (on/off) and the other being a power reducer which cuts power back after the secondaries open up.

the traction control is not as adjustable as it is on the zx10r. the 10 has 10 settings for traction control but the 14 only has 3,, whats up with that?
would like to know what the hell the thought process is on that!!!

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
the traction control is not as adjustable as it is on the zx10r. the 10 has 10 settings for traction control but the 14 only has 3,, whats up with that?
would like to know what the hell the thought process is on that!!!

They probably need the more elaborate ZX10 traction control homologated for racing use. The ZX14 is not used for racing.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
They probably need the more elaborate ZX10 traction control homologated for racing use. The ZX14 is not used for racing.

well that makes sense for the track, as you said not many 14r's on the track.  but with the extra power of the 14r I would think it would  be a better option to have the same setting as the 10r to where you could really dail in the 14r.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
Maybe next year.  I was hoping to buy a bike this year but not even HONDA has wow'd me with the new stuff.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »
Maybe next year.  I was hoping to buy a bike this year but not even HONDA has wow'd me with the new stuff.
Fury?

(As I run, duck, and hide)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »