Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 730082 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1820 on: October 25, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »
The quietest room on Earth
http://www.mndaily.com/2012/05/01/quietest-room-earth

Orfield Laboratories uses its -9 decibel room to conduct audio research.

Steve Orfield stands in the anechoic chamber located inside his research facility, Orfield Laboratories, located on the West Bank . The chamber was awarded a Guinness Book world record for its negative decibel sound and is often referred to as the world’s quietest room. Orfield has long been noted for the testing and research done in his facilities.

By Molly Novak  May 01, 2012

Noise reverberates through one room in Orfield Laboratories. Down the hall, another room is deathly quiet.

Orfield Laboratories Inc., less than two miles from the University of Minnesota’s West Bank, houses the quietest room on earth. The room is used by companies nationwide for audio research.

Its walls absorb 99.99 percent of all sound, and it’s used for testing products like hearing aids, lawn mowers, leaf blowers and heart valves.

The lab’s five employees work to quantify subjective qualities, like how a product sounds to the listener or if a product is visually pleasing to customers.

In 2005, the room received the Guinness world record for being the quietest room in the world. The anechoic chamber, as it is officially called, is measured at -9 decibels. An average person sleeps in a room at 30 decibels, lab owner Steve Orfield said.

Orfield said the room is used to test products to please both the active listener — the one using the product –– and the passive listener — the one who can hear the product without choice.

“We’re not looking at sound,” Orfield said, “We’re looking at the reception of it.”

The room is so quiet that, depending on the individual, a person can begin hallucinating due to sensory deprivation within 45 minutes of entering the chamber, Orfield said.

“We’ve had people walk in and been so disorientated they walk immediately out,” he said.

NASA uses its own anechoic chamber to test how astronauts react to hallucinations, Orfield said.

He said companies like Harley-Davidson, Whirlpool and 3M have used the lab to test the sound quality of their products.

The goal is to make the sounds pleasing to everyone listening while maintaining the quality the company is looking for, Orfield said. In Harley-Davidson’s case, that means helping the company keep the trademark sound of its bikes while also making the noise easy on a person’s ears.

The laboratory also has a room that is the opposite of the anechoic chamber — it reflects 99.99 percent of all sound, Orfield said. The reverberation chamber is used mainly to test walls and windows but has also tested insulators and dampening materials.

The visual aspect of a product can also be tested by the lab. The researchers put up pictures of a product and ask test subjects to rate the quality of the product based on its appearance. They have also done research on the quality of office spaces and office lighting.

“It’s a great facility to teach students about indoor quality of acoustics and lighting and things related to indoor environments,” said Thomas Fisher,  dean of the University’s College of Design.

A few years ago, the University looked into buying or taking over the lab for research but decided against it, Fisher said.

But multiple University departments still make use of the laboratory, Orfield said. Groups of students go on tours of the lab, faculty has used the lab for research and many have attended seminars, he said.

“It’s great to have it so close,” Fisher said. “It’s an exceptional facility.”
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1821 on: October 25, 2014, 06:55:46 AM »
Not good. They really don't want me listening to the voices in my head.  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1822 on: October 25, 2014, 06:57:10 AM »
Not good. They really don't want me listening to the voices in my head.  :o

Sometimes the voices in my head actually have good ideas...   :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1823 on: October 25, 2014, 07:01:35 AM »
aaaarrrghhhh.......  :yikes: they've got you too?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1824 on: October 25, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
My brother-in-law got a divorce. I sent him a card. No really, I did.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1825 on: October 25, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
Congrats all around!

Now we can call him your ex-idiot- brother- in- law. No wait, that sounds like he is no longer an idiot, which I assume is NOT the case....? Maybe brackets would be useful here? How about your ex-[idiot brother- in- law]? Maybe with more detail.... My ex- [still an idiot[brother- in- law]]?

Might have to think on this one a bit....

Brian

My brother-in-law got a divorce. I sent him a card. No really, I did.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1826 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
No, he'll still be my idiot brother in law even if the beef we have is with my wife's sister. He was married to her and could have reached out and said something but he drank her Kool-Aid and won't talk to us either. Oh well, I sleep good every night.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1827 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »
Does this mean you had an idiotectomy?  ;D

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1828 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Mexican was $15 for a three finger lid so there wasn't much call for the wild weed except for volume. Or so I heard.
???
What's a "lid"?

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1829 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
???
What's a "lid"?

:rotflmao:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1830 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
:rotflmao:
shhhhhhhhh     Shhhhhhhhhhh
They'll figure it out.  Shhhhhh. 
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1831 on: October 28, 2014, 04:10:08 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1832 on: October 28, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
Haven't been called a youngster for a long time Jim. Thanks.
Haven't herd the the "Lid" term since the early seventies. I'm the youngest of four boys and I'm fifty. Most of the youngins call it a zip up here. Regional dialect I guess  ;D
 :chugbeer: :finger_fing11: chose the thumps up because of the eyes. ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1833 on: October 28, 2014, 05:55:48 AM »
You're quite welcome!  ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1834 on: December 28, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
Well, it's been a year now since I retired and I'm loving it!    :)

One thing that I've learned about being retired. One needs a good pair of 'house shoes'! I'm not talking about slippers either. Walking around the house bare footed, or with slippers hurts my feet. I have a good pair of New Balance shoes that I only wear in the house.

And since this thread is about nothing. I just got my annual cost of living (3%) raise on my pension for doing nothing! 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1835 on: December 28, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
 :thumbs:   The earliest I think I can retire, barring unforeseen circumstances is 65.  I need to talk to a financial person and see what can be worked out.  I don't plan on just vegetating either.  I'll probably do some freelance consulting.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1836 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »
What's wrong with vegetating? I plan on doing that for another year and then I'll see what I'm in the mood for. It'll take me that long to get all my projects done around the house anyways.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1837 on: December 28, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
 ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1838 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »
:chugbeer: :finger_fing11: chose the thumps up because of the eyes. ::)

What's a thum...oh never mind..I found it...Urban Dictionary to the rescue

Nothin' personal Rubberdown, jess messin wit ya.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1839 on: January 06, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
The oldest commissioned warship afloat, anywhere in the world, is the USS Constitution. She was named by George Washington, launched in 1797 in Boston harbor where she berths to this day. She was nicknamed "Old Ironsides" because the British could not 'hull' her (punch a cannonball through the side of the ship) during the War of 1812. She carries a crew of 6 officers and 46 crewmen are all active US Naval personnel and being assigned to serve on her is considered 'special duty'; the crew wears uniforms identical to those that were worn when the ship was commissioned. She has sailed under her own power exclusively as recently as 1997 (to celebrate her 200th birthday) and 2012 (to celebrate the 200th anniversary of her victory over HMS Guerriere).

The oldest commissioned warship anywhere in the world is the HMS Victory; she was launched in 1765 and is most famous as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. She currently is commanded by her 100th commanding officer, also maintains a crew and is the flagship of the First Lord of the Sea but has been dry docked since 1922. She is currently undergoing a 16 million pound restoration although not expected to be re-floated again.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com