Author Topic: Automatic Battery Charger question  (Read 7999 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Automatic Battery Charger question
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »
I bought a Motostance Type 2 automatic battery "maintenance" battery charger. It has a charge rate of 750 mA . The  "maintenance" voltage is 14.4. My other three chargers have a maintenance voltage of around 3.2. MY question: is 14.4 too high for a maintenance charge?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jonathan

Re: Automatic Battery Charger question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »
Do you mean amperage, because I don't think that you can charge a 12 volt battery with 3.2 volts?

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
I am guessing you meant 13.2V in the OP. 14.4V is too high for a long term storage type deal. Most battery tenders(over winter type) are in the 13.2-13.7 range. My understanding is 14.4V is slowly boiling off the acid in the battery.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »
I am guessing you meant 13.2V in the OP. 14.4V is too high for a long term storage type deal. Most battery tenders(over winter type) are in the 13.2-13.7 range. My understanding is 14.4V is slowly boiling off the acid in the battery.

Matt
Yes, typo, I meant to say 13.2. I also used to believe that 14 volts would boil away the water but according to the Concours voltage display, its charging voltage is 14.2 +/- 2 and that seems to be the spec for most all automotive charging systems. Then, there is maintenance free batteries that don't have water to boil away. BTW, I have this charger on my VFR and I think the batt is lead/acid type.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »
The 14.2-14.7 is standard for lead acid batteries on vehicles. They only charge when running. It is a big difference when it is sitting for 3 months or so being held at that voltage. They are much happier around 13.5V in those conditions.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »

It is likely it drops to a lower voltage (like 13.X) when it is in trickle charge mode (if the charger is automatic).  The voltage HAS to be a bit higher than 12.6, or it will never charge the battery (a lead acid battery in good condition is at 12.6V at rest at a full charge).

Fortunately, it is EASY to tell.  Wait for it to be in maintenance/trickle mode, then pull apart the connector a bit (without breaking the circuit!), and connect a multimeter to the two slightly exposed contacts and read the voltage.

If it really much higher than 13.5V in trickle mode, it is probably not safe to use that charger for extended periods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_acid_battery
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
The green light comes on and the red light goes out indicating trickle or maintenance mode but the charging voltage is still 14.4. I left hooked up for 24 hours and still 14.4 I have an onboard voltmeter on the VFR connected directly to the battery. I think the charger is defective. I am going to contact customer service.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
The green light comes on and the red light goes out indicating trickle or maintenance mode but the charging voltage is still 14.4. I left hooked up for 24 hours and still 14.4 I have an onboard voltmeter on the VFR connected directly to the battery. I think the charger is defective. I am going to contact customer service.

Hmm, this makes me nervous about the one I just bought. Perhaps I should test mine too (Battery Tender Jr), just out of curiosity.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
The battery in the C14 should be the AGM type (Absorbent Glass Mat).  It is essentially a maintenance free battery in that once you fill it and give it the initial charge then seal it, you should never open it again.  If you over charge it, you will damage it (short answer).

The battery charge voltage is higher (14.x Volts) while the charge cycle is active.  Once the current to the battery drops below a minimum amount, the charger should shut off, and start  monitoring the battery.  Then if / when it drops below a 'maintenance level' (12.8V for AGM, typ.), start another recharge cycle.

Most of the "trickle chargers" out there will overcharge the battery if left on for too long (the ones that charge at 13.x Volts).  They try to maintain a fixed voltage, which varies depending on the type of charger.  The $5 (on sale) Harbor Freight trickle chargers try to maintain 12.65 to 12.75 Volts.  They will actually bring down a AGM battery, since it wants to be at a higher resting voltage (12.8V), and the newest packaging on them states "Not for use with AGM batteries".

The Battery Tender Jr. uses the charge, monitor, recharge method.  I have 2 of them in use, and would recommend them for your C14.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
For information: the motorcycle battery to 11.4 volts the c14 starts without problems.

MGval 8)erio.
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
I will use nothing but the Battery Tender brand, there is a good reason why they are the best.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
I will use nothing but the Battery Tender brand, there is a good reason why they are the best.

+1 same here.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline comet

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »

Undeniably, Battery Tender is a good product. But there are a number of other brands of battery maintainers out there which are also very good (and maybe in some cases a better choice). I bought a Battery MINDer some years back (made by VDC Electronics) and have had excellent luck with the brand. I was turned onto the VDC product by some friends of mine who use theirs to maintain batteries for aircraft. VDC was among the first companies to employ a "desulfator" mode in their chargers.

If you are shopping online and want competitive pricing, informed salespeople and a variety of choices-- Pacific Battery Systems sells a number of different brands of battery maintainers including Schauer, VDC and Battery Tender.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/charger.html
Just stay away from prolonged use of a "trickle" charger. Most chargers meant for prolonged use are labeled as "maintainers".

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »
The Battery Tender Jr. uses the charge, monitor, recharge method.  I have 2 of them in use, and would recommend them for your C14.

Just stay away from prolonged use of a "trickle" charger. Most chargers meant for prolonged use are labeled as "maintainers".

Interestingly, the Battery Tender Jr. is labeled in some places as a maintainer and others as a trickle charger.  In their own documentation it says:

"Step 4) Float Charge: Red Light Off, Green Light On. Constant Voltage at Float / Maintenance level. Keeps battery fully charged and maintains high specific gravity. Full charge reset monitor protects battery against excessive appliance current draw while charging. Float charge continues indefinitely."

Which means it really *is* a trickle charger (after it has brought the battery up to full charge).  They don't seem to be worried about applying constant float charge as opposed to turning it off and monitoring, then applying intermittent full charges to keep it charged.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:12 PM »
Interestingly, the Battery Tender Jr. is labeled in some places as a maintainer and others as a trickle charger.  In their own documentation it says:

"Step 4) Float Charge: Red Light Off, Green Light On. Constant Voltage at Float / Maintenance level. Keeps battery fully charged and maintains high specific gravity. Full charge reset monitor protects battery against excessive appliance current draw while charging. Float charge continues indefinitely."

Which means it really *is* a trickle charger (after it has brought the battery up to full charge).  They don't seem to be worried about applying constant float charge as opposed to turning it off and monitoring, then applying intermittent full charges to keep it charged.

There does seem to be some contradictions there.  Why would they need to recharge if they're maintaining a float charge?  Me thinks this will require more investigation, and maybe some actual measuring of what the chargers are doing.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
I have two bikes with onboard volt meters wired directly to the battery. When I connect my Shumacher Battery Companion (which looks a lot like and I think works like the Deltran Battery Tender) this is what happens:  If the battery is already fully charged the indicator light immediately goes green and the voltage reading goes  from 12.9 or 13.0 to 13.2. If the battery is partially discharged, the light goes on yellow and voltage jumps from whatever it was (12.3-12.8)  to 14.2. After from 30 seconds to up to 4 or 5 minutes the light goes green and voltage drops to 13.2. Yes, I usually wait for the light to go green.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
Really, you hang around to see the little green light?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »
Really, you hang around to see the little green light?
Often. You're supposed to wait for green to go, right?

Look, I typed an 8 and it turned into a cool smiley.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »
 :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »
Flashing red is no good though.  :(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey