Author Topic: Auto-tinting helmet shield  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Gearhead82

Auto-tinting helmet shield
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
I noticed on ebay that there is a "photochromatic transition shield" available for my helmet.  Has anybody tried one of these auto-tinting shields?  Does it work?  Do you like it?
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Conrad

Re: Auto-tinting helmet shield
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
I noticed on ebay that there is a "photochromatic transition shield" available for my helmet.  Has anybody tried one of these auto-tinting shields?  Does it work?  Do you like it?

I just saw an add for these last night in my new Motorcyclist mag. I was wondering how well they worked and what the prices might be.

Bell Helmets: Light-Adjusting Shields

Edit;

Holy crap!!!!! $120 for a face shield? I think not.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:30:52 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
I use the Fog City auto tint shield, works great, both the tinting and fog free bit.  They do scratch easily, so take extra care when cleaning, I remove the shield, take a small drop of dish soap and warm running water.  I only use my fingers, and then rinse extra well, let dry and re install.  Never use any type of rag or cloth, it will scratch.  Prices are around $40, so yes, it's spendy, but worth it, IMO.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
I really like my auto tint weld helmet ???
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
I bought the SolFx for my Bell helmet.  It would not get dark at all, I sent it back for credit.  POS in my book.  My transition glasses work great, when they can make a helmet visor that does that I will be interested.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
I bought the SolFx for my Bell helmet.  It would not get dark at all, I sent it back for credit.  POS in my book.  My transition glasses work great, when they can make a helmet visor that does that I will be interested.
My transition lenses would not work in the car or in my helmet? I figured because both have some UV block. What kind of helmet did you have that let your transition lenses change?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
I have never found my transition lens to be sufficient to the task of blocking enough light. My Vox Genisis has a drop down sun shield that I use, plus I will also use clip-ons for my glasses. Between the both of them I can pretty much ride directly into the sun but it does make everything fairly dark.

Offline crossj_2002

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:58:24 PM »
If any of you have been through a tunnelly road, ie. Blue Ridge Parkway, I would think this would be kind of scary.  I'm not sure how dark it gets, but usually these things don't react nearly fast enough for my taste.  My current helmet (Scorpion EXO900) has an internal sun shield that I have darkened which flips up and down at the flick of a switch.  That fast response is golden in my book.
  COG#9120 '99 C10 Concours