Author Topic: 2008 C14 vs 2012  (Read 13432 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: 2008 C14 vs 2012
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Life is full of trade offs - as pointed out previously the 08 is six years old so expect an investment of maintenance. The new ride will have to be broken in, so 600 miles of reduced adrenalin. I had a similar choice and went with the new ride - first service done yesterday  ;D

Yeah +1, and extended warranty warns about maintenance and "have receipts" from where you had it serviced or you serviced it yourself.  Buying used one may want to see this from owners manual:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12334.0
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
I paid full price for my C14 brand new without having taken a test ride. I don't regret it at all.  8)
I was going to buy the FJR1300 but hesitated for a week and then Kawasaki announced the C14, so I waited.

$5500 buys a lot of farkles and warranties, but it also buys a brand new bike that nobody else has farted on. <LOL>

I got $500 off out of the chute but I would have paid full price.  I also did not test ride it.  I don't regret it at all...

I never thought about the 'F' factor but that does seem reasonable to me.  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
I totally disagree with that statement, but we are all entitled to our opinions :)  Plus you did not list even a quarter of all the differences (and I will not list them all here again).

I agree that it is my opinion, but it is a well documented one. I have an '08 and drove a couple of times an '11, and those differences that you refer to are less significant to me than if I had to choose between a silver and a black '08. If you enjoy your bike, then we are 2 happy campers  :chugbeer:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
I agree that it is my opinion, but it is a well documented one. I have an '08 and drove a couple of times an '11, and those differences that you refer to are less significant to me than if I had to choose between a silver and a black '08. If you enjoy your bike, then we are 2 happy campers  :chugbeer:

Well, when you add up all the differences, they are all still relatively minor when you compare how much is the same between gen1 and gen2.  But I would still call it "significant".  All depends on how important each thing is.  For example- having white backlighting on the instruments, higher mirrors, taller screen, exhaust heat shield, and nicer (to me) fairing design,  are probably more important to me than many other people.  Having the handlebar control is very important and so is traction control and factory variable heated grips.  But the glove box thing doesn't matter to me, nor the one or two-tone seat,  the bag paint differences, the passive RFID, the linked brakes, and several other things.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »
I've got about 65k on my '08. Other than brake pads, oil, bulbs and one valve inspection...I've not done anything. It's been a superlative machine. Flies out, PCIII, AreaP slipon...150rwhp.

IMO, one of the best used bike bargains around...I've owned it since new.

I've not ridden a "2nd gen" C14....I can't imagine that it would be worth 5k more. YMMV.

Offline billyzoom

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »
I jsut bought a new 2012, but if the condition of the 2008 is what you said and it had been maintained, I'd probably pull the trigger on that one.  The only I might be conscious of is that I'd heard of some heat issues with the earlier versions, meaning you could feel the engine heat more than you'd prefer.  I don't know if that affected the 2008s, so it may be a moot point.  Other than that, that's a lot of money to save.  And you didn't say if that was an out the door priced or not.  If tax and other costs were on top of that, there would be no question to me.  2008.

Good luck either way!
2007 Ducati S4Rs
2012 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Z71

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »

The '08/'09s are faster than the newer models too. That's not just BS either.  8)  The newer models are speed limited to 154 the 1st gens are not.  :)

So what is the ungoverned top speed of '08/09 models?  156 MPH? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:16 AM »
So what is the ungoverned top speed of '08/09 models?  156 MPH?

156.63    ::)

Some claim to have had their bikes over 165.    :-X
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 05:09:51 AM »
My guess is that like me, you are cheap.  If you weren't you would not be considering the older bike.  Over the years I have found that the best bikes are a combination of engineering and cost.  The more you pay the higher the expectations.  I have purchased a couple new / expensive bikes, and neither measured up.  Perhaps my favorite all time bike is an old '91 Honda NH 750 that I still own.  I gave $600 for it because of some very fixable issues.  20k miles later it purrs like a kitten, and I almost feel like I cheated every time I ride it.  I bought my C14 at an auction 3 seasons ago for a bit less than you are talking.  It is pretty easy to put up with hot shins and a few other quirks when the deal is right.  By now I have it sorted out with appropriate farkles, and am pretty happy.  It is fast, comfortable, and like the old NH, makes me smile when I think about the deal.  Go cheap, buy farkles, ride a lot, and smile.   8)

Dave