Author Topic: Asthma  (Read 2741 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Asthma
« on: June 22, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »
Any of you ladies and gentlemen have asthma? What meds do you use to control or alleviate it.

I.e., Advair, albuterol inhaler, etc. What works for you?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Asthma
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 04:38:36 PM »
Any of you ladies and gentlemen have asthma? What meds do you use to control or alleviate it.

I.e., Advair, albuterol inhaler, etc. What works for you?

I have had asthma (and fairly severe allergies) essentially my entire life.  It was much worse as a child (including a few hospitalizations).  When I was young, albuterol was not commonly available or used, unfortunately, since that would have changed my life significantly.

As an adult, I have been on half-dose of Montelukast for many years, which is excellent at helping to prevent allergic (and to some degree exercise/temp-related) triggered asthma events.  It also helps significantly with chronic sinus congestion, because it also acts as an antihistamine.  It is cheap, generic, apparently very safe, has no side-effects (that I can tell), and is only 1 pill a day.  I can ramp to a full dose when necessary.  So I highly recommend it.

I have albuterol with me at all times, as do most asthmatics.  But I rarely have to use it.  Perhaps only once every few months.  I would say my asthma is "well controlled."  Advair (and the like) is usually reserved for more serious cases and when control cannot be maintained by other means.  It is extremely expensive, and somewhat dangerous.

As for allergies- I had immunotherapy ("allergy injections") for several years as a child, and started again about 10 years ago as an adult (one injection in each arm, every 4 weeks).  Expensive and somewhat painful and inconvenient, but it does seem to help, and is quite safe.  When allergies flare, nothing is more safe or effective than Fexofenadine which I use [only] when needed (there probably are very few antihistamines I haven't tried in my life).  I also use Flonase regularly (unless the nose bleeds start) and saline nasal washing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »
Thank you maxtog for your thoughtful and detailed response.

I have been having breathing issues since covid last summer. I was hoping I would be better by now.

I started off with some antihistamine pills (don't remember the name) + albuterol nebulizer and inhaler, now I am on Advair and inhaler. I am still having issues and cannot seem to get full relief. I cannot jog/run as I used to in the past and I cannot eat a bunch on sundays and sit around. I get asthma from eating too much!

I was seeing if there were other inhaled meds some here found useful. My doc is going to try another inhaled corticosteroid.

And a formulation similar to Advair is now available (cheaper). Talk to your doc about generic Airduo (Fluticasone/Salmeterol). I still use Advair due to the higher dosage needed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »
I have been having breathing issues since covid last summer. I was hoping I would be better by now.  I started off with some antihistamine pills (don't remember the name) + albuterol nebulizer and inhaler, now I am on Advair and inhaler. I am still having issues and cannot seem to get full relief. I cannot jog/run as I used to in the past and I cannot eat a bunch on sundays and sit around. I get asthma from eating too much!

Are you sure you have asthma?  There is a specific "challenge" test that is required for a proper diagnosis- usually only performed by an allergist or pulmonologist (not just a general practitioner).  I ask because something like Montelukast will likely not be helpful if it is some other condition (like COPD, fibrosis, infection, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 01:13:01 AM »
Sounds more like Long-Covid than Asthma to me.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 11:15:20 AM »
The doctor did not do any challenge test on my lungs last year because they wanted to let the lungs heal, I was very asthmatic anyway and they assumed it was covid related b/c I never had this problem before. They did perform a bunch of blood tests.

Brief synopsis. Last summer I got covid. Within days I had severe shortness of breath and had to go to the hospital to clear my lungs. Talk about being scared to death. With all the ventilator talk right around then, I was afraid I was going to get on one and die. Luckily they were able to clear my lungs, I was sent home with bronchodilators and inhaled steroids.

I am sure my doc will do other tests but she says this is common with many covid people. And it turns out that some end up with asthma for life! I just need to control it.

This is where I am. Looking for alternate meds that may have worked for you guys.

Are you sure you have asthma?  There is a specific "challenge" test that is required for a proper diagnosis- usually only performed by an allergist or pulmonologist (not just a general practitioner).  I ask because something like Montelukast will likely not be helpful if it is some other condition (like COPD, fibrosis, infection, etc).

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:17:13 AM »
I hope not boomer. That will suck. I hear horror stories of people having all sorts of issues with their health. So far it is my lungs. Hopefully, I get well and I can put this all behind me.

Sounds more like Long-Covid than Asthma to me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
This is where I am. Looking for alternate meds that may have worked for you guys.

It does sound like you have other issues besides just asthma.  I believe the small percentage of people with long-term COVID-19 after effects is usually due to an auto-immune reaction (over-reaction) and in most cases the damage is slowly healed but can take several months.  This is not restricted to just COVID-19, many non-novel flu virii can elicit similar things for some people, like loss of smell, lung damage, etc.

I hesitate to mention this, but you did ask.  There is a supplement called Ridgecrest Herbals "ClearLungs Extra Strength" and, believe it or not, it does seem to help.  I have used it occasionally when in a bad way, and was surprised to find some efficacy.  But supplements like that (with Chinese herbs and such) tend to scare me, and would not be something I would take frequently or for long.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 01:54:39 AM »
I hope not boomer. That will suck. I hear horror stories of people having all sorts of issues with their health. So far it is my lungs. Hopefully, I get well and I can put this all behind me.
I hope not too.
A neighbour had Covid in April 2020 and is still struggling with his breathing now.
He has recently been on lung training physio which is helping to expand his lungs and his breathing is getting better, but it's a slow process.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
Thanks Maxtog. I will look into you herbal remedy.

I know this lovely older Indian lady who after my covid infection started giving me all sorts of herbs/spices to drink with tea/coffee/juice and cook with like cardamon, coriander, safron and other stuff I can't pronounce. I know from my doc that these have been proven to protect from cancer, strengthen the immune system etc. I haven't had any direct help with my lungs though, but I am appreciating Indian herbs and spices if not for their immediate healing effects but their wonderful taste in foods.

I was looking for different inhalers you guys may have used. There are a bunch on my market for all sorts of breathing problem. Mine seems to be a classic inflammation of the lungs. My doc will recommend new meds if I ask so I was running it by you guys incase there were any better ones I could try. Doc did do a test for autoantibodies and such but the findings were inconclusive. What was discovered after a PFT was that I did show "clinically significant??" reduction in diffusion rate. We are waiting to see if I get that back over time. Next test is in a few months.

It does sound like you have other issues besides just asthma.  I believe the small percentage of people with long-term COVID-19 after effects is usually due to an auto-immune reaction (over-reaction) and in most cases the damage is slowly healed but can take several months.  This is not restricted to just COVID-19, many non-novel flu virii can elicit similar things for some people, like loss of smell, lung damage, etc.

I hesitate to mention this, but you did ask.  There is a supplement called Ridgecrest Herbals "ClearLungs Extra Strength" and, believe it or not, it does seem to help.  I have used it occasionally when in a bad way, and was surprised to find some efficacy.  But supplements like that (with Chinese herbs and such) tend to scare me, and would not be something I would take frequently or for long.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »
What is this lung training thing you speak of? Does it have a medical name? Is it for people who have damaged lung tissue and therefore now have large scar tissue which is being "stretched" with exercise? I don't know of this physio. But I am interested to learn.

My breathing is "ok" but it's the random inflammation hits I get with no rhyme or reason. It can happen if I eat a bunch, or while driving on an empty stomach or watching TV or walking. I can be fine one minute and the next minute I am wheezing. Funny thing is it doesn't bother me "too much" when I run or fast walk. When my lungs are under stress I seem fine. It is when I am resting!

Asinine.

I hope not too.
A neighbour had Covid in April 2020 and is still struggling with his breathing now.
He has recently been on lung training physio which is helping to expand his lungs and his breathing is getting better, but it's a slow process.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 03:34:53 AM »
My neighbour is using the Pursed Lips exercise but there are quite a few different exercises out there.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323787#interval-training

Essentially you are improving the ability of your lungs to exchange oxygen into your blood and CO2 out of your blood.
Covid can cause permanent damage to your lungs that reduces the efficiency of these gas transfers.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »
Thank you Boomer. I really didn't know about lung exercises. But I now recall my HS coach talking about breathing exercises for runners and swimmers. That was a long time ago and I didn't pay much attention.

My doc told me lung damages have to heal themselves and there are no medicines to directly help with the healing other than bronchodilators and steroids to alleviate symptoms and give comfort.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
My doc told me lung damages have to heal themselves and there are no medicines to directly help with the healing other than bronchodilators and steroids to alleviate symptoms and give comfort.

This is true.

The exercises are a therapy to stretch out capacity some to help compensate.   No device is needed, however, it can be helpful.  This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071IB3B4  doesn't seem to be sold on Amazon any longer, though.  But there are lots of similar devices at the bottom, such as https://www.amazon.com/Breather-Inspiratory-Expiratory-Respiratory-Trainer/dp/B00FE8N7Y4

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »
There's much to be said about herbal/teas/excercises and other non-mainstream treatments for medical problems, I go to a DO instead of an MD as he is more receptive to non-mainstream treatments. Your friend may well be onto something, sounds like she knows a few things, it never hurts to try new things, and also remember to believe in your body and it's ability to heal and stay positive. I hope you find a correct DX and a treatment that works, good luck and keep us posted.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
Thank you Maxtog and Boomer for the lung exercises. I printed one of these apparatus out and faxed it to my doc earlier (she is old fashioned) with a note whether it will help and if I should wait till after my next PFT (in a few weeks).

I must say you guys know a lot about lung therapy. Maxtog, have you tried Xolair shots? Or the like? Did it help?

This is true.

The exercises are a therapy to stretch out capacity some to help compensate.   No device is needed, however, it can be helpful.  This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071IB3B4  doesn't seem to be sold on Amazon any longer, though.  But there are lots of similar devices at the bottom, such as https://www.amazon.com/Breather-Inspiratory-Expiratory-Respiratory-Trainer/dp/B00FE8N7Y4

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 11:08:15 AM »
Thank you for your well wishes. Breathing is so underrated until you can't breathe anymore.

DOs are great. They can write scripts and do everything like an MD but have the added benefit of training in wholistic therapy. I don't know if my doc is an MD or DO.

I think if my issue is uncontrolled inflammation of the lungs, a better general diet would help but I believe I will still need some hard pharma to control it. At least for now.

There's much to be said about herbal/teas/excercises and other non-mainstream treatments for medical problems, I go to a DO instead of an MD as he is more receptive to non-mainstream treatments. Your friend may well be onto something, sounds like she knows a few things, it never hurts to try new things, and also remember to believe in your body and it's ability to heal and stay positive. I hope you find a correct DX and a treatment that works, good luck and keep us posted.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 03:42:27 PM »
Maxtog, have you tried Xolair shots? Or the like? Did it help?

Xolair is extremely expensive and can be somewhat risky (it can suppress the body's ability to fight cancer).  It is also only meant for those with not well-controlled asthma on more traditional treatments.  So no, I have no experience with it.  Also, I am not sure it will be helpful in primarily inflammation cases (presumably what you are dealing with) since it targets allergy-induced asthma (IgE related).

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 01:34:40 AM »
Yer welcome DC. My Dad has really bad Asthma so I learned about it from an early age. On occasion I had to sit behind him and assist with his breathing (similar to Heimlich) but only when it got so bad that he turned blue and only until the ambulance arrived with oxygen. They finally got on top of it with allergy testing and he now manages it by avoiding the triggers. He still uses a CPAP today and is never more than a few steps away from his inhalers.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
I am glad to hear your dad has this under control. Drowning in one's lungs above land is miserable.

I now realize how many of us, even health conscious persons take our bodies for granted. The time I spent in the hospital gasping for air and having all this sh!t down my mouth; and all this fucking talk about ventilators did scare the crap out of me.

I am still surprised how this virus brought a healthy man to his knees. I never smoke, eat well, and run miles and miles every week. I have not satisfactorily run for over a year. I have these random asthma attacks out of the blue with no triggers. This infection really is no joke. It has damaged my lungs and my daily living. All within 5 days of infection.

Yer welcome DC. My Dad has really bad Asthma so I learned about it from an early age. On occasion I had to sit behind him and assist with his breathing (similar to Heimlich) but only when it got so bad that he turned blue and only until the ambulance arrived with oxygen. They finally got on top of it with allergy testing and he now manages it by avoiding the triggers. He still uses a CPAP today and is never more than a few steps away from his inhalers.