Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 889502 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3440 on: January 30, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »
Ordered speed bleeders since I'm due for a flush & washed for the 1st time in months.

Givi lock ring bags are very nice, extremely easy off/on & they don't touch the tank which is nice. Not something somebody can just walk by & grab without knowing where the latch is. Which is a plus if it's a concern.

Thanks - will check them out.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3441 on: February 02, 2021, 03:12:56 AM »
Lubed the cables, including a spot of grease on the cable stays. Also spritzed a bit on the windshield cables while I had everything open and accessible.

Filled the coolant after flushing a couple days ago. Burped it and spilled only about 3 pints in the drain pan. Put on all the Tupperware without breaking anything other than a plastic rivet - no biggie; I had extras. The best part was, no parts left over!  :finger_fing11:

Will be putting on the Canyon Cage front bars later today. After that, it's time to check tire pressure, wash the dust off, and ride.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3442 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, I'm doing a lot of maintenance while the temps are somewhat south of 40 deg. F. First of all, the sweating is at a minimum and second, the bugs (mostly the buffalo gnats -- I know, look it up) are nesting comfortably. They need that, you know.

Started out putting the front Canyon Cages on and was doing well until Mrs. E (who has much smaller hands than I) dropped the castle nut that affixes the supporting leg (not sure what you call it) into the lowermost fairing. Not visible. Can't get it out.

S*&t. Now I gotta tear apart the middle and lower fairing to retrieve said castle nut. Shake, rattle, and roll wasn't cutting it.

OK, fine, that gives me a reason to double-check the level of the coolant puke tank after I had flushed and filled the system. (I hadn't given it a final check after cleaning up 3 pints of coolant on the floor.) Fine, and good to go. Miscreant castle nut showed up without a lot of drama -- but not before I took off all the left-hand plastic to get at the damned thing.

This time, I wormed the front CC with the support arm sort of flopping carefully through the vents. Seemed to work mo betta without having to reach through with my fumble fingers trying to reach something my short stubby fingers ain't gonna reach. And Mrs. E was banished to the house at that point so no help from her -- TYVM.

Put the front cages on the rest of the way and tested the glove box and the hand warmers. Nicht in Ordnung. Okay, tear the top left/worthless glove box apart again to check on the connections. Seemed to be OK - I had not forgotten them. But they weren't working nonetheless. Reconnected with more discernible "clicks" on the connectors and maybe that did the trick. Dunno.

Put the top glove box Tupperware thingie back in, sprayed some penetrating oil on the sidestand, and took a short ride around the neighborhood.

Alles jetzt in Ordnung.

I'm gonna ride this damn thing when it gets north of 40. We were at 30 deg. F. this morning. A bit bright, even for me.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3443 on: February 03, 2021, 06:50:12 AM »
This reminds me of a story.  The first time I changed the coolant my 08.....    Unscrewed the coolant drain plug and the bike decided to do an arterial bleed onto the garage wall.  Insert images of me trying to either catch the fluid or put the screw back in.  After it completed soaking me with coolant it was time to put the very small drain plug back in....couldn't find it anywhere... :yikes: .  Looked and looked and looked, nowhere to be found.  Had to order one and the shipping cost was way more than the drain plug.

When I received it, I proceeded to open the package next to the bike, looked down and there the old drain plug was on the passenger foot peg.   Sigh......
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3444 on: February 03, 2021, 06:58:26 AM »
This reminds me of a story.  The first time I changed the coolant my 08.....    Unscrewed the coolant drain plug and the bike decided to do an arterial bleed onto the garage wall.  Insert images of me trying to either catch the fluid or put the screw back in.  After it completed soaking me with coolant it was time to put the very small drain plug back in....couldn't find it anywhere... :yikes: .  Looked and looked and looked, nowhere to be found.  Had to order one and the shipping cost was way more than the drain plug.

When I received it, I proceeded to open the package next to the bike, looked down and there the old drain plug was on the passenger foot peg.   Sigh......

One thing I would hope that Mama Kawi would do - put in a small door into the left middle fairing so one can actually add some coolant. Having to take apart the plastic each time to get at the puke tank is not my idea of fun -- though I do say I'm getting better at it. In these cold(er) temps, that plastic is really brittle. Gotta take extra time and finesse that stuff.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline PH14

« Reply #3445 on: February 03, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »

:rotflmao:

Been there many times. Not with the coolant plug, but many other parts over the years. The best way to find something, is to buy a new one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3446 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
That's like going north to go south...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3447 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
One thing I would hope that Mama Kawi would do - put in a small door into the left middle fairing so one can actually add some coolant. Having to take apart the plastic each time to get at the puke tank is not my idea of fun -- though I do say I'm getting better at it. In these cold(er) temps, that plastic is really brittle. Gotta take extra time and finesse that stuff.

Look thru the vent on the right side fairing to see the radiator hoses.
Remove the small upper hose from the radiator neck with needle nose plyers.
Use a bottle with a nipple or a turkey baster and squeeze water thru the hose, to add coolant to the coolant tank.
Check fluid level by looking thru the vent on the left side fairing
When it's at the tight level, replace the hose on the radiator.
done..

NOTE: Harbor Freight offers some nice long needle nose plyers that work well for this..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3448 on: February 03, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
Use a bottle with a nipple or a turkey baster and squeeze water thru the hose, to add coolant to the coolant tank.

Hmm, that is a creative solution I hadn't thought of.  I, too, was dismayed by finding there was no way to add coolant without taking lots of stuff apart.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #3449 on: February 03, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
Installed speed bleeders & flushed the hydraulics. No need to even remove plastic on a gen 1 bike, I did the clutch with all plastic in place. I normally bleed it that way anyway.

Being cheap & stubborn I've always done it the old fashioned way, wife pumps I bleed. Always thought there was no need for these fancy gadgets. All I can say is Daammmnnnn these things are amazing, no-one should ever bleed brakes the old way ever again.

Best mod I ever made excluding my RDL seat, I'll be installing some on my V-Strom also.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3450 on: February 03, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
Check fluid level by looking thru the vent on the left side fairing
When it's at the tight level, replace the hose on the radiator.
done..

NOTE: Harbor Freight offers some nice long needle nose plyers that work well for this..

Ride safe, Ted

Great tip! Thanks.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline PH14

« Reply #3451 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
That's like going north to go south...

We have a lot of roads like that here in Western PA.   ;D

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3452 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:58 PM »

Yesterday, in putting on the Cages, I stuck a fender washer in my shirt pocket knowing I'd need it after I got all the plastic back on. Got to where I needed that washer and completely forget I put that damned washer in my shirt pocket. I found one in my fastener bins the right size and used it. Later on, when I took the shirt off, the washer fell out of the pocket on the floor.

I'm 64 years old and when stuff like this happens to me I start thinking "Alzheimers" although right now it's "Sometimers."
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3453 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:48 AM »
Same age, buddy.  It only get's worse.. ;)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3454 on: February 04, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
Same age, buddy.  It only get's worse.. ;)

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. Keep in mind I've got a careful eye on you, champ.  :chugbeer:
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3455 on: February 04, 2021, 05:30:32 PM »
I need all the eyes I can get, thanks!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3456 on: February 05, 2021, 02:40:26 AM »
So many eyes,....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3457 on: February 05, 2021, 05:22:07 AM »
That should do it.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #3458 on: April 29, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »
New shinko Ravens and did my own tpms batteries. Getting those little tamper resistant screws out of those sensors was a hassle. Just soldered the wires right onto a 2032. Used a wet sponge under the battery to absorb excess heat, turned my iron up high to get the solder to stick quickly. Did the "swing it on a string" test to verify their operation after the transplant. All good for now.
If the batteries' life turns out to be shortened by the heat, I'm either going to buy an pre-wired external button battery case or use a conductive adhesive to bond the wires to the battery.

Bought it in 2019 if I'm not mistaken. It showed low front tpms battery on my test ride, I asked them to fix it. They did (kinda, it lasted a year). Then I read about the newer, even harder to service tpms sensors kawi switched to. Not sure why both wheels had old-school sensors, but I'm glad they did.
If you look close in the picture of the bike, you can see the 3 jaw puller I used the top hex on to loosen/tighten the front axle because I don't  have a hex socket that big. Somehow, it fit perfectly and was long enough to bottom out in the axle AND have plenty of meat sticking out to get a wrench on😎 Took a minute to figure out that would work.

Offline Danger4u2

« Reply #3459 on: May 16, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »
Blue 2017 C14
I ordered the KQR™ 47 LITER TOP CASE from the House of Kawasaki and installed it about a month ago.

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/shop/vehicle-accessories/motorcycle/zg1400emfnl/999940481/kqr-47-liter-top-case?cm_re=VEHICLEACCESSORIESDETAIL-_-YOUMAYALSOLIKE-_-VEHICLEACCESSORIESBUCKET

I really like it, easy access, easy removal, holds my full face helmet when needed.
It comes with all the parts to rekey the lock to the bike key. You have to buy the case, mount, top part and color ring. 
It's made by Givi for Kawasaki.

https://giviusa.com/products/v47na-47ltr-monokey-matte-black-case?_pos=21&_sid=a87292338&_ss=r

Givi has a brake light kit but it's not real bright, doesn't modulate and the electrical contacts wear fast.
I've owned one before on another bike.
All though the cost is considerable, the ad more lighting brake kit is by far better.
I bought the plug and play wire harness.  Makes it simple and I can hook up my trailer wires to it.

https://admorelighting.com/product/v47-top-case-led-kit-cg/

I have a Uni-go trailer so today I ordered a DenRay Motorcycle Hitch #DKB702 for Kawasaki Concours 1400.
They man the phones 7 days a week.

https://www.motorcycle-hitch.com/Kawasaki_207.html

I installed new front and rear Michelin Road 5 tires 3 weeks ago.  I did the 55 on the back and it corrected the speedometer.
Much better than the factory stock tires that were on the bike when I bought it with 3,123 miles on it.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-5-tires

I wanted the Michelin Road 5 GT Tires but no one has them in stock.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-road-5-gt-tires?sku_id=1756699

I will keep at it and give an update when I finish.

KX500 is Danger4u2