Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 890045 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1700 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
I found a solution for retaining those little nuts in the battery terminals.
Might help someone.

I cut a piece of clear plastic hose, flatten it, and place it under the nuts.
The piece of hose acts as a spring to hold the nut in place.
When the terminal is installed, the bolt screws down against it or thru it.
Works out great.

I cut a drinking straw or something similar and jammed it in there years ago.  Still works :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1701 on: December 01, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
A piece of cardboard cut the right size works, too. Even tends to stay in place. Just an option for somebody with cardboard but no rubber hose  :chugbeer:
Great, now I won't have dump the lead shot out of the rubber hose.  8)

sailor_chic

« Reply #1702 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
What did I do to my Concours today.... Remove the Canyon cages, and plastic in search of the exhaust cam sensor. Damn it isnt easy to find that connection. Still trying to get mine running. Might have to bring it home to Mama Kaw, but I'm fighting that. I cringe at that thought.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1703 on: December 01, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
  ... but I can tell you the DB killer is a HP killer for sure, basically it dumbs the engine down to stock muffler flow / power. HTH, Steve
  TBR claims it doesn't drop HP, but guess they wouldn't sell many if they said,"You just spent $600 for our exhaust, to gain HP, now spend $30 more to make it acceptably quiet and give up that HP gain.".  Bad marketing idea. 

Steve, from all I've gathered, your flash works with the TBR and db killer, since it now flows, as you stated, the same as stock, and you designed the flash for a stock engine.  So I'm asking if that is the case, no tweaking of the flash would be necessary to work for myC14, right???   

I didn't mind the 08 being a little tame down low, as it made congested riding easier, but this 11 simply feels sluggish, not tame.  I can live with it, but rather not.  tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1704 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:57 PM »
TBR claims it doesn't drop HP, but guess they wouldn't sell many if they said,"You just spent $600 for our exhaust, to gain HP,

One who spends ANY money on a replacement muffler thinking he is going to gain any noticeable horsepower has already fallen into a marketing trap :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #1705 on: December 01, 2015, 06:17:40 PM »
One who spends ANY money on a replacement muffler thinking he is going to gain any noticeable horsepower has already fallen into a marketing trap :)
Totally agree, but I didn't pay for it.  It came on the bike, when I bought it.  I have a BMW R1150RT, with a Remus system, and have been told that it totally kills all low mid range power, and I believe it.  Sounds pretty cool though, and that's all the PO wanted.  I have the stock muffler, but changing it out is a pain in the azz...  Oh well.  tp

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #1706 on: December 02, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »

Steve, from all I've gathered, your flash works with the TBR and db killer, since it now flows, as you stated, the same as stock, and you designed the flash for a stock engine.  So I'm asking if that is the case, no tweaking of the flash would be necessary to work for myC14, right???   

I didn't mind the 08 being a little tame down low, as it made congested riding easier, but this 11 simply feels sluggish, not tame.  I can live with it, but rather not.  tomp

Yes, it works with stock and slip ons. I have run  the a/f ratios with both and there just really isn't a difference to justify any meaningful changes. And to all you naysayers - I have the data, the A/F maps, to support what I'm saying  :o :o

And I see that you're finding out why I felt the flash was necessary in the first place... it's tough to accept  a 1352cc motorcycle that's so lacking in low rpm power. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1707 on: December 02, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »
Yes, it works with stock and slip ons. I have run  the a/f ratios with both and there just really isn't a difference to justify any meaningful changes.

Yep, exactly what I was saying.  As much as people might not like the size/look/weight of the C14 stock muffler, it is not 1970's technology...  It doesn't create much restriction and replacing it doesn't affect performance in any meaningful way.  UNLESS it is done as part of an entire exhaust system replacement (headers, midpipe, tailpipe, and muffler) which also includes appropriate tuning.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1708 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:20 PM »
This is actually for tomorrow....going to ride all over VA tomorrow...about 430 miles.  Down through the Shen Valley, through Roanoke, down by Danville and on to South Hill.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1709 on: December 10, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »
Enjoy your ride. Wish I was there.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1710 on: December 10, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Have fun.  Been on the 14 all week as a commuter, tomorrow will be the R1200R's turn.  The 14 the rest of the weekend.  Man, I love Texas weather.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1711 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Thanks, all.   It's going to hit 70+ today and tomorrow here in VA.  I was going to send in the ECU to Steve for his re-flash but when I saw the weather, I couldn't resist riding.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1712 on: December 11, 2015, 04:42:57 AM »
I've been riding all week too. I had to double check the calendar.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #1713 on: December 11, 2015, 05:47:28 AM »
While the dealer had my motor pulled to replace 3rd gear he also addressed a rather serious oil leak. Replaced all the gaskets and seals on most of the motor. Changed plugs while out as well. Now it's time to make up lost saddle time!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1714 on: December 11, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
Thanks, all.   It's going to hit 70+ today and tomorrow here in VA.  I was going to send in the ECU to Steve for his re-flash but when I saw the weather, I couldn't resist riding.

+1 I might have to wait until Jan or Feb to do that.

sailor_chic

« Reply #1715 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
Well I got to see my bike today. I stopped into Kawasaki to drop off an o-ring for the cam positioning sensor. It was sad to see it in the shop, partially undressed. I want my baby home  :'(

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1716 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
Pulled the old (original) battery out as it is semi-dead. Waiting for the new one to arrive....

Temps are in the 70s here in the Mississippi Delta, with a pretty firm wind going, and I wanna RIDE...
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

elp_jc

« Reply #1717 on: December 12, 2015, 01:21:48 AM »
TBR claims it doesn't drop HP
I have the TBR black series, and that quote depends on WHICH dB killer you're talking about ;D. I have both, and the P1X (the quieter of the 2) definitely chokes the engine on this big motor with just one can. TBR sent me the P1 free of charge, and the difference was noticeable. The P1X inner circumference (inside the can) is noticeably smaller than stock. The can uncorked probably gains a few HP on top, but suffers down low and mid rpm. The motor feels the best with the P1, which is only marginally larger than stock, so retains the low to mid rpm torque without being restrictive up top. And the noise level is absolutely perfect for my taste: deep and healthy, and just as loud as the engine itself, so perfect for my taste. But as most of us already know, any power gain (if any) is minimal. I just wanted the stock abomination out, without losing power over stock... which is exactly what happened with the P1X. Now all is well with the P1, at stock power levels low and mid, and maybe a hair more on top, but with a much nicer looking can and 9 lbs less.

Considered Steve's tune, but when I PMed him if he could do it without touching engine braking (and other concerns) and no response, left it alone. And I'm glad, because with the P1 insert, I'm okay with its performance now (probably same or very similar to stock can). It has less power than my ex BMW sport bike, but like the throttle response, engine braking, etc. No sense in risking my warranty for a little bit more performance when I like everything else, but to each his own. And will spend that money in gear ;). Enjoy your weekend everybody.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1718 on: December 12, 2015, 02:58:23 AM »
No sense in risking my warranty for a little bit more performance when I like everything else

I would disagree with both things in that sentence.  I don't believe there is any risk at all to the warranty with ECU reflashing (or so small as to be insignificant) and I also believe the performance gains to be a lot more than "a little bit more."  But everyone has to do what is right for themselves.

elp_jc

« Reply #1719 on: December 12, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
I don't believe there is any risk at all to the warranty with ECU reflashing
That's a fact, not opinion. And it could be outside the hands of a dealer if Kawi asks to download the ECU before authorizing any engine warranty claims. Once you' violate' the electronic seal of the ECU, there's no going back, even if you reflash back to stock. And if you have any knowledge of electronics (which you do), you know a programming error can cause an engine to fail. Simple common sense. I'm not saying 'x' tune will do any damage to the bike, but it could. And that's the argument factories make. I saw this first hand with a friend's GTR. Local dealer used to allow claims due to ECU modifications, but Nissan started asking dealers to download the ECUs before authorizing any engine warranty claims, and he was denied warranty. He was smart enough not to try to sue Nissan because he knew he'd lose that argument, so learned that lesson the hard way, and just built up his engine with better internals this time. Bottom line is dealers don't have the ability to detect ECU tampering, but manufacturers do. And ultimately might not be up to dealers to authorize a warranty repair, even if it is now. That's what I meant. It's okay to take that risk if you want, but just be aware of the possible consequences ;).