Author Topic: Did I screw up?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Did I screw up?
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:33 AM »
I have no way of telling if I did something bad.  I am actually asking if I need to worry.  Before the National rally I drained my brakes, clutch, and put in new fluid.  The bike had no issue (2500 miles). 
    I was cleaning up my garage yesterday while enjoying a delightful Yuenling beer (thanks Walker18) and I found two containers of brake fluid.  One was dot3 and the other was dot4.  Of course both bottles have the same amount of fluid missing.  I am 97% sure that I used the dot4.  What if I didnt?  Do I need to flush the old (new) out and make sure dot4 goes back in?
Whats the diff between 3,4, and 5?
I just want to make sure that any seals or the like are being corroded away.  I appreciate any input or advice.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mettler1

Re: Did I screw up?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
   You can use DOT 3 or 4. They are compatable. Not so with DOT 5. DOT 5 does not play well with others.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51:17 AM »
The main difference between DOT3 and DOT4 is the boiling point.  DOT4 has a 500 degree boiling point, while DOT3 only has a 400 degree boiling point.  Mixing them will degrade the performance of the DOT4, but otherwise the fluids will mix fine.

I'm sure Kawasaki recommends DOT4 for the higher temp performance, although about the only way I could see brake fluid reaching 400 degrees would be extremely heavy braking.  As for the wet clutch, I think you'd notice if it reached that high of a temp...

HOWEVER, DOT5 does not mix with either DOT3 or DOT4.

If you are worried, 'casually' flushing your system should be fine; using a flushing agent probably isn't necessary.

Not sure how you could tell the difference between DOT3 or DOT4, should you feel the need to flush the system.

Post from KZRider
http://www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/301876-dot-3-vs-dot-4-brake-fluid
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:18 AM »
OK, this is really wierd. I'm sitting here formulating a new thread about this very thing and what do I see? The same thing I'm thinking about posting. I did the same thing yesterday wating for my motor to cool to add the new coolant while changing out the old. I had two unopened containers of synthetic DOT 3 brake fluid and changed out all the brake and clutch fluid before I looked at the master cylinder covers and thought, whoops. Looked at the containers and the only thing that I saw was what was stated above, boiling points. I'm not going to worry. But, I wrote down in my notes to remember  not to do that again.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
Snarf...Dot 3 and Dot 4...you should be fine...

'02 C-10

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »
Sweet.  Thank all.  I knew that 3-4 do do play with dot5.  If I were to do it all again I would go with dot5.  Tcro swears it has a better feel. 
Strawboss, that is how I felt when I saw my two bottles.  I went over and looked at the master covers and saw "DOT4 only"  :pukeface:  Well I guess all is good for now.
Thanks again
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."