Author Topic: Tip-over bars are not symmetrical...  (Read 2643 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Tip-over bars are not symmetrical...
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
So I finally finished installing Murph's front tip over bars (huge PITA).

I followed all the instructions, did everything right, and the right tip over bar is closer to the fairing than the left one.  I measured the distance from the fairing to the outside of the bar today.  About 6 inches on the right, and about 6.5 inches on the left.  That extra half inch makes all the difference in the ease of removal of the bars when the fairing is on.

As it is now, I can't even take off or put on the bottom screw that holds the bar on the right side without partially removing the fairing to give me some room.  The left side is fine.

How is this possible?  It's obviously not right... Like I said, I followed the instructions, even rechecked the orientation of the mounts, and it was all correct.  The bar itself isn't skewed, and fits well.  It's just too damn close to the fairing.  Spacers too short?  I dunno.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Tip-over bars are not symmetrical...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
I have them on my bike but didn't install them, and they had the same problem. I thought the PO just had no clue what he was doing, but perhaps there is an installation issue. On my bike, there was a spacer on the lower right side mounting bolt that was on the wrong side of the mounting bracket. The fairing actually contacted the and the faiting plastic and paint are damaged there. I simply had to move the spacer to the inside of the mount to fix the problem. Hope this helps.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
I have them on my bike but didn't install them, and they had the same problem. I thought the PO just had no clue what he was doing, but perhaps there is an installation issue. On my bike, there was a spacer on the lower right side mounting bolt that was on the wrong side of the mounting bracket. The fairing actually contacted the and the faiting plastic and paint are damaged there. I simply had to move the spacer to the inside of the mount to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Dunno, I assembled the mounts just like the instructions said.  The spacer is on the inside of the mount.  I think both lower and upper spacers on the right side are just too short from the factory.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »

Dunno, I assembled the mounts just like the instructions said.  The spacer is on the inside of the mount.  I think both lower and upper spacers on the right side are just too short from the factory.

Sure you've got the spacers in the right locations?  Mine looked funny when I first mounted them and I realized I had switched my lefts and rights.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline mlf73

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
I just installed my front tipover bars a couple months ago maybe.  It wasn't fun that's for sure.  The bottom of the right side sits a little closer to the fairing than the left but there isn't much room on either side.  The right has maybe an eighth of an inch of space between the top of the bolt head and the fairing but the left has only about one quarter of in inch space so not a huge difference from side to side.  I didn't measure anything to see if I was symmetrical since the only real adjustment seems to be in the exact positioning of the mounting brackets themselves and that would only affect the height of the tipover bar and not the distance away from the engine and thus the fairing as long as you have the spacers in the correct positions.  I definitely will need to have the mid fairing sections loose to take the bars off without mucking up the paint in my opinion.   Maybe I could have gotten the brackets positioned just a little better had I spent a little more time on it but I just wanted to get them installed and be done with it.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
Sure you've got the spacers in the right locations?  Mine looked funny when I first mounted them and I realized I had switched my lefts and rights.

Pretty sure... I triple and quadruple checked.  Either the spacers just aren't big enough, or I'm either crazy or retarded.

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
I just installed my front tipover bars a couple months ago maybe.  It wasn't fun that's for sure.  The bottom of the right side sits a little closer to the fairing than the left but there isn't much room on either side.  The right has maybe an eighth of an inch of space between the top of the bolt head and the fairing but the left has only about one quarter of in inch space so not a huge difference from side to side.  I didn't measure anything to see if I was symmetrical since the only real adjustment seems to be in the exact positioning of the mounting brackets themselves and that would only affect the height of the tipover bar and not the distance away from the engine and thus the fairing as long as you have the spacers in the correct positions.  I definitely will need to have the mid fairing sections loose to take the bars off without mucking up the paint in my opinion.   Maybe I could have gotten the brackets positioned just a little better had I spent a little more time on it but I just wanted to get them installed and be done with it.

Yes, but that tiny bit of extra room on the left makes the difference between being able to take off the bars with the fairing attached, and having to do acrobatics with the right fairing in order to get the bars off.

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
I have the same issue with my right side bar, I have to remove all the fairing screws and twist the fairing around to get to the bar bolts.  I took a shorty open-end wrench and bent the head at 80° or so tomake it easier, but it is still a PITA to be sure!
Tori '01