Author Topic: 9/11/14- anybody else recognize the day?  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Strawboss

9/11/14- anybody else recognize the day?
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
This is what I did Thursday, just another day for many. I'm in the front row between the guy with the red ropes on his epaulets and the guy looking left. This was after the ceremony. I worked that horrible Tuesday 13 years ago, I'm afraid many are forgetting. Anybody else in uniform Thursday?

I'm all the way to the right. Not sure what I was focused on, looking down, it was windy and rainy.

COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

jirod

Re: 9/11/14- anybody else recognize the day?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
I don't wear a uniform but I remembered, like every year, the horror. I also remembered the sacrifice emergency personnel like you made on that day trying to save innocent lives, and for that I thank all of you. 

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
I wore all the uniforms I gonna wear :)   Thinking about getting a kilt though.
In my early year in the Navy I was the captain of a 1500GPM FTI pumper and an MB5 crash truck  ;)
Never realized how tired I could get until AFTER a fire when we loaded back up the hoses - wow, adrenaline does wonders.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
Events for 9/11/1914...

- Australia invades New Britain, defeating a German contingent there.
-Australians captured German Headquarters at Herbertshöhe (New Guinea).
- William Christopher Handy publishes "St Louis Blues"
-HMS Hibernia reported 12-inch gun cracked; fifth such defect since outbreak of war.
-British 6th Division landed at St Nazaire.
-General von Moltke's last war council at Reims.
-General von Kluck at Fontenoy (Aisne).
-Allied left advancing on Compiègne. British reached Aisne near Soissons. Foch entered Châlons. Sarrail retook Revigny.
-Germans retook Insterburg.
-Russians closing on Grodek.
-HIMS Leipzig sank British ss Elsinore (6,542 tonnes) off Cape Corrientes.

Here's a link to the Daily Telegraph (UK), showing a few other stories of the day...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ww1-archive/11077830/Daily-Telegraph-September-11-1914.html

That generation has now passed on, and the Greatest Generation isn't too far behind them:

9/11/1944

Story about the 100th Bomb Group over the Czech-German Border, and about the memorial that was dedicated to that day in 1994
Wikipedia: RAF Bombing raid of Darmstadt, most devastating raid against the city during WWII
Story about The Hump in the September 11th, 1944 issue of LIFE Magazine

This link has a LOT of entries about September 11th, 1944
Stone & Stone: War Diary for September 11th, 1944

Another entry I found for September 11th, 1944:
-More than 1,200 die when U.S. forces sink two Japanese prison ships containing thousands of Allied captives.  This may be related to the USS Finback's sinkings that day, as delineated by Stone & Stone.

In answer to YOUR question, however, about 9/11/2001...

-I was attending an annual conference on Thursday and we had a moment of silence during lunch.
-Also, we had a healing field set up in Sandy, Utah (there were some of these in other parts of the country as well):
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865610679/Healing-Field-in-Sandy-gives-families-a-place-to-learn-on-911.html?pg=all
Several other events locally as well, and I'm sure there were many across the country.

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:42 AM »
I didn't loose anyone on that day but I did have a few friends that were injured at the Pentagon.  If I recall, 14 people from Prince William County died that day at the Pentagon.  I work for local government and we have two memorials here.  We built the first one with the twin fountains right after it happened.  We then got on a request list for some of the World Trade Center debris.  In addition to the debris, we also recieved a damaged pumper and chief's car for the new "Americans in Wartime Museum" that is under construction.  Our WTC memorial was just dedicated last year.  I see it every day.  The first picture below is from my desk's view.  The others are closer from a few years ago.  I haven't taken a close-up picture of the new memorial yet.  Maybe soon.  It just feels strange walking around and thru it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »
The damaged concrete debris was sent to the King George, VA landfill.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »
Thanks for posting folks. I don't usually attend things like this, they make me mad and sad, and certainly don't post much of me at work but I got the pics from the city photographer and thought some might like to see. As you can see from some of the guys, they don't do many functions either in dress uniforms, maybe that's a good thing as we usually are at something really bad when we wear them. But, I'd rather have them there than not.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50