Author Topic: So my swingarm seems to need work: I guess?  (Read 10259 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: So my swingarm seems to need work: I guess?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
Red,

My shock linkage does not have any bearings that are tapered or adjustable.  Mine has cylindrical caged needle bearings that are trapped under a fixed shouldered bolt.  In many applications, solid bushings are much better, although it might seem at first glance that the fancier roller elements are inherently better. 

Maybe you are talking about the swingarm pivots?  Those are Timken-type tapered rollers.  Much better there, as the swingarm is load-bearing, both rotational and axial.  The shock linkage not so much.   

Solid bushings:  more contact area, thus lower surface pressure on the bolts.  Check out the brinelling on YOUR bolts when you get them apart.  Local microwelding on the bolt shank due to high pressure caused by small needle bearing rollers.  Here is a link!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

More contact area eliminates this problem, and is also the cause of the more solid feel, as the solid bushing resists angular loads better. 
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
datsaxman ....this is why Kawasaki says to replace the shock linkage bolts if they show signs of wear, brinelling to use the tech term. If you change the shock linkage bearings out to solid bushings you can reuse the bolts even if they show signs of brinelling.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »
datsaxman ....this is why Kawasaki says to replace the shock linkage bolts if they show signs of wear, brinelling to use the tech term. If you change the shock linkage bearings out to solid bushings you can reuse the bolts even if they show signs of brinelling.

Here is what I did and what I've recommended that others do IF the indentation on the bolts is not too severe. Chuck them in a drill motor by their threads and polish them with a length of emery cloth till they appear smooth and shiny. When you press fit the bushings into place you will most likely find that they compress the ID ever so slightly as this is what they are designed to do. If you use self oiling sintered bronze as we did you do not want to polish their ID as this will smear the surface of the bronze and clog the pores with grit and they will not self lube as well as they should have and shorten their life. The shoulder bolt will likely fit too tight so something has got to give and by spinning them in a drill motor and polishing with emery cloth you will again ever so slightly reduce their OD and soon you will get them to slip fit really nice. As a warning you will find the zerks hard to grease and that will be normal as the clearances are so close fit.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »
Gave my bolts to my local machinest and he made the bushings to fit.....but for cost effectiveness and quality time spent with your drill press...VBG...get the bushings from the supplies mentioned in the other thread.....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »
Gave my bolts to my local machinest and he made the bushings to fit.....but for cost effectiveness and quality time spent with your drill press...VBG...get the bushings from the supplies mentioned in the other thread.....

I'd try it anyway as the bushings are going to compress when you press fit them into the linkage. They just might close up enough to fit the polished bolts. What ya got to loose?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
Yes, the bolts can be reused with the bushings even if they are damaged. 

Yes, the bushings will collapse a bit when installed. 

Yes, polishing the bolts is a very good way to improve the fit and reduce the effects of the damage.

Yes, that is what I did!  My bolts were rough, but not too badly damaged.  Better now!

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »
Just for clarity (or to muddy it up, I never know)...  There's a difference between normal wear and the impact damage they're talking about.  The bearings don't move around much so you'll get wear marks in the bolt's finish.  If you don't feel ridges with the tip of your thumb nail, it's ok.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
mdr I would say that if you see some wear and just feel the need to run your finger nail across it the bolt needs replacing. In my experience with needle bearings the shaft the bearings are pivoting on needs to harder than the needles and be a very close fit....and the bolts Kawasaki uses are far from that in either case. If you can find a good magnifier look across the bolt from various angles ....if it isn't dead smooth it's toast.

If you mark the orientation of the bolt before undoing the nut and upon removal noting the wear area you may be able to prolong the bolts life by turning the bolt to a new position but really for the cost of the bushings vs the cost of bearings this is a no brainer......and it will be good for as long as you own the bike.

Surprising how nice the ride is when it isn't binding up.....

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »
Since the pivots are separated, you don't have to pull the swing arm out to service the bearings, you can do them one at a time -- to a point, anyway. It's been a while since I greased mine -- which were almost dry from the factory -- but I recall doing the L/H side first, then the R/H side. If you haven't looked at the breakdown, bikebandit has a good view of the set-up (attached). Pull the L/H pivot via the three outer screws -- since the outer races are fitted to the swing arm, the pivots are all that hold the bearings in place. Wash the bearing with your favorite solvent -- I like WD-40 -- then pack it with good grease just like it was a wheel bearing. Re-install the pivot and repeat for the R/H side. Bear in mind (pun intended) that the packed grease will have to settle as you install the pivots. The R/H pivot has the adjustment, which is a bit tougher, since you need to preload the pivot, then hold it while applying torque to the lock nut. I find a crow's foot for the nut works well, while allowing a socket for holding the pivot pre-load.
I'm outside now attempting to do this, and I see no way of removing the bearing to clean it while the swingarm is still in the frame. The outter diameter of the bearing cage is larger than the oppening in the frame. At this point, working alone, I'm struggling to get it back together, I can't align the beaging in the window while inserting the pivot shaft. Please explain how you were able to remove the bearing, or if I misunderstood the post. Thanks.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »
I have not dome this but reread this part:
Pull the L/H pivot via the three outer screws -- since the outer races are fitted to the swing arm, the pivots are all that hold the bearings in place. Wash the bearing with your favorite solvent
I think he is saying the bearing comes out the other way? Sorry if this is no help.
Wayne

I'm outside now attempting to do this, and I see no way of removing the bearing to clean it while the swingarm is still in the frame. The outter diameter of the bearing cage is larger than the oppening in the frame. At this point, working alone, I'm struggling to get it back together, I can't align the beaging in the window while inserting the pivot shaft. Please explain how you were able to remove the bearing, or if I misunderstood the post. Thanks.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
Kzz, having it apart I do not think that is the case. There MAY be enouge room to remove the bearing, but as soon as I pulled the pivot bolt, the whole swingarm shifted (it's on the C stand) so the bearing is no longer centered in the frame opening. I can't get it apart or back together (so far).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:29:28 PM by bbroj »
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Leverage on the rear wheel and a jack under the rear shock are getting me colse, but also close to knocking the bike off the stand and on to me, not the desired result!
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
I have not dome this but reread this part:
Pull the L/H pivot via the three outer screws -- since the outer races are fitted to the swing arm, the pivots are all that hold the bearings in place. Wash the bearing with your favorite solvent
I think he is saying the bearing comes out the other way? Sorry if this is no help.
Wayne

the swing arm must be totally removed, to remove the grease seals and tapered bearings. period.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »
the swing arm must be totally removed, to remove the grease seals and tapered bearings. period.

It cetainly seems that way to me! I dropped the rear wheel and have the pivot bolt back in. Now my question is, do I simply finish removing the swingarm since I'm this far into it? I know I'm lacking a torque wrench and the allen socket as well as the socket for the lock nut. I know I can "borrow" the torque wrench from about any retail parts store, not sure about the allen drive and the socket. Time to make a call...
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
Blaise, do you have a manual handy? I am looking at mine as we speak, and that's why I said you have to drop the swingarm. It's a p.i.t.a to get to the bearings, you pretty much have to disconnect the shaft drive, and the whole rear end assemblies come apart, to lube those bearings correctly....
are you in a place with high speed internet?
shoot me a note with your e-mail address...a p/m will do and include your e-mail in there.  ;)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
Yes, I have a manual and am looking at it now. I was following a previous post that stated it could be done with the swingarm in place, as long as you did one side at a time. I'm thinking reassembly at this point, even though the rear wheel and final drive are already off because I lack the proper tools. I would be adjusting the preload by feel instead of proper torque. The local parts store doesn't even loan the torque wrench, forget about the allen drive socket and the lock nut socket. The thing that's killing me is that I have all of this stuff, 700 miles away in my garage :(
COG 9331

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
It cetainly seems that way to me! I dropped the rear wheel and have the pivot bolt back in. Now my question is, do I simply finish removing the swingarm since I'm this far into it? I know I'm lacking a torque wrench and the allen socket as well as the socket for the lock nut. I know I can "borrow" the torque wrench from about any retail parts store, not sure about the allen drive and the socket. Time to make a call...

If you have an Autozone nearby, they had a nice set of the very large Allen sockets for not too much money.
I know some have mentioned getting them at Harbor Freight too, but mine didnt have the sizes I needed....though mine was the front axle bolt.
Say what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
you don't need allen sockets for that job, a key will work, you aren't torquing the allen, just the outer hex locknut...the manual shows the allen wrench being held by 2 fingers during the operation with the special torque adapter tool. :-X...

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
Here's the decision I've made and the way I'm procedeing now. I have the tools to remove and service the bearings, so I am doing that. The swingarm was nearly at the removal point already, just had to remove the shock and disconnect it's linkages, the drive shaft just slides out and stays attached to the bike. I do NOT have the tools for a propper adjustment of the bearings, so I did not and will not touch the adjuster until proper tools are in hand. When I do the adjustment, I will know that the bearings have already been propperly greased.
COG 9331

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
Unless I'm looking at the diagram and reading the manual wrong, it states to "screw in the right pivot shaft and tighten it to the specified torque" (T7, 20 ft-lb).This is after tightening the 3 mounting screws to their torque and before torquing the lock nut. It seems the allen screw, which is actually the pivot itself, is how the bearing preload gets set. Is this not correct?
COG 9331